Gun Girl

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
So, for the last month I've been following this crazy thing on youtube lately. To give you some sort of idea https://junkee.com/gun-girl-kaitlin-bennett-interviews/238094

A person calling herself 'Gun Girl' goes around to college students asking leading questions about guns laws, abortion and trans right and gets surprised when they don't get offended like she does. It was pretty funny. Here's her reporting as she claims to be a journalist https://libertyhangout.org/category/news/

Then this happened at 5:20. A whole bunch of people came to protest her ridiculousness. They were yelling at her and she claims water was thrown at her and her car vandalised. The police stated that they didn't see water being throw and nothing about the car yet

Her response was to threated to bring her mates carrying guns to do a walkthrough the campus. Because nothing says non-violent like a bunch of people carrying guns.

So, clearly the students are sick of Gun Girls nonsense. Answering her questions nicely doesn't seem to keep her at bay. She twists what happened into a win for her. Even if this protest didn't happened, they still would have been painted in a bad light. Was this protest the best course of action?

As DeFranco stated, Gun Girl doesn't go in for a conversation, she goes in for a confrontation. Trying to trip people up to make them look bad. But then, isn't that what Shapiro does all the time? How do we deal with this sort of person?

PS: Sorry, forgot how to add timestamps to video. I also dislike her because she writes for Liberty Hangout who claimed to be Libertarian. They generally don't know what Libertarian is and are just ruining it for people like me who are interested in listening to Libertarians

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Shes one of those idiots that likes to make a nuisance of herself and wants click bait bs. She wants a confrontation and if she doesn't get it she will probably edit a vid to get it.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Apparently she's gotten into a big online fight with the woman who started the trend of posing nude to raise money for the Australian bushfires.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
Thaluikhain said:
Apparently she's gotten into a big online fight with the woman who started the trend of posing nude to raise money for the Australian bushfires.
I didn't realize the bush fires needed funding; I thought they were satisfied with fuel.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Seanchaidh said:
Thaluikhain said:
I didn't realize the bush fires needed funding; I thought they were satisfied with fuel.
It's actually this clever conspiracy by Drop Bears League to finally rid them of their greatest nemeses - humans. Just burn it to the ground

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Seanchaidh said:
Thaluikhain said:
Well, people are claiming it's a set up by the Greens to scare people about climate change, or people clearing land for a new rail link. That might be expensive.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
One of the first things I found googling her was that she supposedly shat herself while passed out drunk at a frat party. Not just a little bit either. Huge ass logs. Afaik never came out explicitly denying it either. So I suppose you could start by getting everyone to call her "poop girl" instead of "gun girl". All poop girl, all the time. Neverending.

Tho I am of two minds on this. It's a tactic that still allows for one of the alt right's top 5 favorite things: playing the victim.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Chimpzy said:
One of the first things I found googling her was that she supposedly shat herself while passed out drunk at a frat party. Not just a little bit either. Huge ass logs. Afaik never came out explicitly denying it either. So I suppose you could start by getting everyone to call her "poop girl" instead of "gun girl". All poop girl, all the time. Neverending.

Tho I am of two minds on this. It's a tactic that still allows for one of the alt right's top 5 favorite things: playing the victim.
Yeah, lots of people going that route, but that's an embarrassment, it's nothing to do with being a bad person. I'd personally say that the latter should be talked about more.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
So she's just a troll? Like declaring you're going to march on a college campus with an army of armed fanatics means one of two things: you're going to start occupying the campus, killing those who resist or you're just trying to troll people to get old people to give you money.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Silentpony said:
So she's just a troll? Like declaring you're going to march on a college campus with an army of armed fanatics means one of two things: you're going to start occupying the campus, killing those who resist or you're just trying to troll people to get old people to give you money.
No possibility for an open-carry walk through the campus at all? I mean, she already did it in 2018.

Eacaraxe_v1legacy

Mar 28, 2010
Silentpony said:
She's just another in the conga line of "you're not helping" conservative grifters who play their role keeping the Second Amendment a wedge issue, and pushing the conversation as far away from acknowledging and addressing the causative factors of violent crime in this country. You know, a useful idiot to the firearms industry. I'm strongly pro-Second Amendment, but I do believe there is a compelling state interest in regulating firearms for public safety, and believe that interest should be pursued by not just the least-restrictive means but with the keenest sense of skepticism towards the government as we're discussing citizens' rights to self-defense, and keeping the racist and classist history of gun control ever in mind.

If the pro-Second Amendment right had their head screwed on properly, weren't just pushing the Second Amendment to further the broader right-wing agenda, and they were just a wholly-owned subsidy of the firearms industry, they'd be pushing to build bridges with the pro-Second Amendment left.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Chimpzy said:

If you're watching the clip on protest, they keep saying, "Do you need a diaper". It might be catching

Both sides think this protest is a victory. It does fall into the category of the 'not so tolerant' Left. But that also butts up against the 'let's be as mean as possible because Freedom of Speech' Right. So I see it as losing all around.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
CaitSeith said:
Silentpony said:
No possibility for an open-carry walk through the campus at all? I mean, she already did it in 2018.
Uh no, 'cause a public expression of rights you already have is meaningless without an audience. People don't walk into Starbucks with 10 guns on them 'cause they really want coffee, they do it to get a reaction.
You don't call upon an occupying army to march on college students unless you want a reaction, and that reaction in today's media driven world ultimately leads to asking for donations. You don't organize a military style parade on a college campus unless the goal is to ask for more money to do it again.
At best she's a troll. At worst this is all a scam to get gun fanatics to give more money to her so she can show off guns still exist.

Exley97_v1legacy

Jul 9, 2014
There will come a day when conservatives realize how easily they've let themselves be conned by cosplaying grifters, whose sole acts are to provoke outrage from the "libs" and then express their own outrage in return, but that day is apparently a loooong way off...

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Exley97 said:
There will come a day when conservatives realize how easily they've let themselves be conned by cosplaying grifters, whose sole acts are to provoke outrage from the "libs" and then express their own outrage in return, but that day is apparently a loooong way off...
I mean, they already have the right word for it - virtue signalling

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Silentpony said:
CaitSeith said:
Silentpony said:
Uh no, 'cause a public expression of rights you already have is meaningless without an audience. People don't walk into Starbucks with 10 guns on them 'cause they really want coffee, they do it to get a reaction.
You don't call upon an occupying army to march on college students unless you want a reaction, and that reaction in today's media driven world ultimately leads to asking for donations. You don't organize a military style parade on a college campus unless the goal is to ask for more money to do it again.
At best she's a troll. At worst this is all a scam to get gun fanatics to give more money to her so she can show off guns still exist.
So, can't we say the people at the Richmond's gun rally are her potential audience?

https://aldianews.com/articles/poli...ights-rally-said-lot-about-us-right-now/57393

Gun Girl attempting to march through the campus with a couple of these guys would boost her channel, keep her on the news, reach out for more of this kind of audience, and own the libs. It's pretty much being extremely politically incorrect (the Second Amendment version of, as trunkage said, "let's be as mean as possible because Freedom of Speech") as a publicity stunt.

Eacaraxe_v1legacy

Mar 28, 2010
trunkage said:
The left already has a term for it, which has been in play for almost a decade longer -- "thoughts and prayers".

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Eacaraxe said:
trunkage said:
The left already has a term for it, which has been in play for almost a decade longer -- "thoughts and prayers".
Stunning and brave

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Eacaraxe said:
trunkage said:
I'd...debate the comparable nature of those ideas.

The criticism behind Virtue Signalling is that the subject is basically an ambulance chaser, someone who puts on pagentry about being outraged to show how righteous they are through their indignation. Much like the titular character of Moliere's Tartuffe, someone who is 'virtue signalling' is putting on airs of being "pious" for purely mercenary reasons.

By contrast, the core of the "Thoughts and Prayers" criticism is that it's such token sympathy as to approach indifference. Much like with "bless you" after a sneeze, it's just something you say almost reflexively, and shove out of mind almost as quickly. More to the point, the criticism is that it's a meaningless platitude cut from the same cloth as "we have to trust that these things happen for a reason", and that this platitude is so frequently offered as virtually the only response we see to tragic events. This is perhaps most aptly visualized if we imagine someone just had their arm cut off and is begging for help as they bleed out in the street, and someone walks up to them, puts their hand on the amputee's shoulder and says "I'm praying for your recovery", and then turning and walking away, sparing not a second thought for the poor amputee still dying of blood loss.

Where "Virtue Signaling" is making a stink about things for the sake of being praised for your moral fiber[footnote]See also: White Knighting, Nice Guy[sup]TM[/sup], and general Self-Righteousness[/footnote], "Thoughts and Prayers" is expressing condolences out of social obligation and being content that that was the 'appropriate' response and that the problem will sort itself out without further intervention.