Gun Girl

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
The correct left analog for "virtue signalling" is being "performative".

Eacaraxe_v1legacy

Mar 28, 2010
Asita said:
By contrast, the core of the "Thoughts and Prayers" criticism is that it's such token sympathy as to approach indifference.
I grew up in a Southern Baptist family, trust me, it's the same thing. Sympathy is the last thing on evangelicals' minds when they say that shit. It's 100% about broadcasting an image of righteousness through expressions of faith.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Thaluikhain said:
Chimpzy said:
One of the first things I found googling her was that she supposedly shat herself while passed out drunk at a frat party. Not just a little bit either. Huge ass logs. Afaik never came out explicitly denying it either. So I suppose you could start by getting everyone to call her "poop girl" instead of "gun girl". All poop girl, all the time. Neverending.

Tho I am of two minds on this. It's a tactic that still allows for one of the alt right's top 5 favorite things: playing the victim.
Yeah, lots of people going that route, but that's an embarrassment, it's nothing to do with being a bad person. I'd personally say that the latter should be talked about more.
I think we should avoid things that make incontinent people feel worse than they already do, and maybe focus on the fact that she's just a terrible person.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
You want to make a name for yourself in social media, cheap outrage generation and provocation for superficial messaging is better than deeply considered and well-thought out blogs.

In a way, that makes sense. Complex and profound insight needs to come from someone capable of it, and read by an audience capable of digesting it: a substantial proportion of the population are however not capable. Therefore, complexity and perspicacity is going to be generated by fewer people for a smaller audience.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
For another take on "Gun Girl", apparently Blaire White just did a video on her:

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Schadrach said:
For another take on "Gun Girl", apparently Blaire White just did a video on her:

Can I have a brief text summary so that I don't have to waste my time and pollute my brain with vapid YouTube gossip?

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
Agema said:
so that I don't have to waste my time and pollute my brain with vapid YouTube gossip?
I mean, you're talking about Kaitlin Bennet, aka "Gun Girl" so you've long since passed that point and it's receding beneath the horizon behind you.

Chewster

It's yer man Chewy here!
Apr 24, 2008
She blocked me on Twitter when I asked her how she managed to fit her Depends under her short shorts lol

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
I saw a post on Reddit where someone said instead of protesting her, show up to her rallies with speakers and start blasting Disney music a full volume. The Mouse will copy strike all her videos and she won't be able to post anything. If she's gonna troll, troll her right back.
and I think that's hysterical.

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
Eacaraxe said:
Silentpony said:
So she's just a troll? Like declaring you're going to march on a college campus with an army of armed fanatics means one of two things: you're going to start occupying the campus, killing those who resist or you're just trying to troll people to get old people to give you money.
She's just another in the conga line of "you're not helping" conservative grifters who play their role keeping the Second Amendment a wedge issue, and pushing the conversation as far away from acknowledging and addressing the causative factors of violent crime in this country. You know, a useful idiot to the firearms industry. I'm strongly pro-Second Amendment, but I do believe there is a compelling state interest in regulating firearms for public safety, and believe that interest should be pursued by not just the least-restrictive means but with the keenest sense of skepticism towards the government as we're discussing citizens' rights to self-defense, and keeping the racist and classist history of gun control ever in mind.

If the pro-Second Amendment right had their head screwed on properly, weren't just pushing the Second Amendment to further the broader right-wing agenda, and they were just a wholly-owned subsidy of the firearms industry, they'd be pushing to build bridges with the pro-Second Amendment left.
Not to mention, is there anything more damaging to their previous gun rights than abusing open carry to scare people in places sensitive to gun violence like schools?

Reminds me of those American idiots that tried to walk into a police station with rifles and body armour looking like they're about to re-enact that scene from Terminator and then playing the victim when the police reacted.