Gun Permits

MattRooney06

Apr 15, 2009
So, as a white, middle class, young male, who lives in an area of England that likes to think it's more posh than the queen at a formal banquet, I can safely say I know almost nothing nothing about firearms, what little knowledge I do have comes from an assortment of Games, Comic books, Films, And my Dad, who was a Royal Marine (Yeah he's the biggest BAMF I know ^^). Recently I was reading about concealed weapon permits, and special permits for big weapons, and stuff like that, I also know someone who designed a website for some gun shop in America a few years ago, and as well as payment, they gave him a gun permit along with the payment as a thank you.

My point is, why buy a gun, I'm interested, not judging, I get that some people use firearms to hunt (they do that here in fact) but why for instance, get yourself a concealed weapon permit?

In short, do you own a weapon for reasons other than hunting, if so, what is it and why?

(Also is a Concealed weapon permit, the same as a normal permit? like if I buy a hand gun but not a concealed weapon permit, do I have to constantly wave that gun around like "Hey guys, just to let you know here is my weapon!")

Esotera

May 5, 2011
I've never owned a weapon but I've lived in rural South-West England where quite a few people have shotguns. The reason I don't have a gun is because I have no use for it whatsoever and it's a dangerous tool to keep hold of for no reason. I'd consider getting an air rifle if I lived in an isolated area as that'd be good enough to take care of any pests and isn't capable of causing anywhere near as much harm.

So to sum up my views, everyone should be allowed a gun, but they should have to demonstrate a need for it when applying for the license first. This is pretty much what happens in the UK (correct me if I'm wrong) - no-one needs automatic weapons for personal use so they don't get them, and shotgun licenses etc are given on a case by case basis.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
MattRooney06 said:
My point is, why buy a gun, I'm interested, not judging, I get that some people use firearms to hunt (they do that here in fact) but why for instance, get yourself a concealed weapon permit?
If you have a gun for defending yourself, it has to be with yourself at any time you might be attacked. Which could be any time.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
wombat_of_war said:
where i live in australia you need a valid reason to own a firearm and its outright stated that defending yourself isnt a valid reason. its litterally for your job is you are say a security guard or hunting or a farmer. and frankly the law works pretty well for the most part
It is possible to get certain weapons for recreational shooting as well, though.

Otherwise yes.

(As an aside, they really should Federalise the rules for that)

Shadowstar38

Jul 20, 2011
MattRooney06 said:
Also is a Concealed weapon permit, the same as a normal permit? like if I buy a hand gun but not a concealed weapon permit, do I have to constantly wave that gun around like "Hey guys, just to let you know here is my weapon!"
If you bought a handgun without a permit, you have to keep it locked in a case, and put the bullets in a different location. With a Concealed permit, you can load it and put in your holster.

If I need to shot a guy, I want it to be as easy to get to as possible.

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
Police are, at minimum, 30 minutes away. If someone is breaking in, I don't have 30 minutes to wait.
Shadowstar38 said:
MattRooney06 said:
Also is a Concealed weapon permit, the same as a normal permit? like if I buy a hand gun but not a concealed weapon permit, do I have to constantly wave that gun around like "Hey guys, just to let you know here is my weapon!"
If you bought a handgun without a permit, you have to keep it locked in a case, and put the bullets in a different location. With a Concealed permit, you can load it and put in your holster.

If I need to shot a guy, I want it to be as easy to get to as possible.
That may be true for you but it varies widely by state. Some states allow open carry. Some states don't have permits at all.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Northern Ireland here, in the cities and towns no one really owns guns, but in the country every man and his dog have at least a shotgun.

I enjoy clay pigeon shooting with my dad's shotgun, and my family have an heirloom of an old service revolver from the 1900's that I'd like to keep in the family, so when the time comes I'll be keeping it as well. They're both quite old, really nice guns, well finished with ornate little details, and brutally powerful, so I'd hate for either of them to get destroyed. When they aren't immediately in use they are stored in a locked gun cabinet with the bullets seperate, but our areas fine. I'm not worried at all about burglaries or anything like that, so home protection is a moot point.

So yeah, most people around here use them for hunting pests and vermin, or clay pigeon shooting, but guns are still nice to have, especially if there's a history behind them.

PrimitiveJudge

Aug 14, 2012
I own a .357 for personal protection in my house, and I will use it as a side arm when I go hunting as well. The concealed weapon permit allows you to carry a weapon in a holster in your jacket while walking around a mall or keep it in your vehicle without telling the cops you have it, if you do not have the permit and a cop pulls you over for a lets say a minor traffic violation, you have to tell the cop you have a gun in the vehicle, otherwise they can confiscate it and you would have to pay some big bucks to get it back. Since I do not have a concealed weapons permit, and I travel with it, I have to keep my cylinder lock on it at all times and the bullets away from it while in transit. I am totaly cool with it, I have a bowie knife next to my seat incase someone tries give me "car trouble".

EDIT: I live in California and this POS state has some of the most retarded gun laws in the US

Kennetic

Jan 18, 2011
When I'm on leave in Georgia, the first thing I do is grab my Glock 26 and shove that ***** in it's holster inside my pants. And when i get a proper holster for my 1911, I'm carrying that ***** because nothing says "fuck off" like a 1911! Kidding aside, I conceal carry because I value my life more than a criminal's and when seconds count, the cops are only minutes away. I have a shotgun for my house but I plan on replacing that one with a Mossberg 590 because my current one is a hand me down from my grandfather and is a hunting gun, not home defense. I hunt regularly so I have my various hunting weapons but those are not for defense so I have my defense guns and the 1911 is in the fun range gun category as it's not broken in yet and needs a holster.

In Georgia, you can open carry without a permit but I would not recommend doing that. I got my CWP during the Newtown panic buying and it was actually a pretty painless affair.

thethird0611

Feb 19, 2011
There are multiple reasons to own a gun, like you said a big one is hunting.
Another reason is because guns are fun to shoot. I have shot guns all my life and its fun sometimes to just go down to the range and fire off a case of rounds.
A third is protection. Guns can be both a deterrent to crime and a protection against it.
Number 4. Guns are a hobby to many people, just a more expensive hobby than some.

Now about the concealed carry. Many States (including Texas where I live) the only way to carry a gun around with you is through a concealed carry, there is no open carry law here. If you want to transport a pistol in your vehicle, it has to be concealed. So the only way your can carry it around on your person outside of your property is through concealed carry.

And no, a normal permit isnt a concealed carry. The normal permit means you can own it, concealed carry is the ability to carry it around in public. If you want to carry it around on your person outside your property you have to get a concealed carry.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
thaluikhain said:
If you have a gun for defending yourself, it has to be with yourself at any time you might be attacked. Which could be any time.
But the steam in the sauna room ruins the action on my 9mm!

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
MattRooney06 said:
So, as a white, middle class, young male, who lives in an area of England that likes to think it's more posh than the queen at a formal banquet, I can safely say I know almost nothing nothing about firearms, what little knowledge I do have comes from an assortment of Games, Comic books, Films, And my Dad, who was a Royal Marine (Yeah he's the biggest BAMF I know ^^). Recently I was reading about concealed weapon permits, and special permits for big weapons, and stuff like that, I also know someone who designed a website for some gun shop in America a few years ago, and as well as payment, they gave him a gun permit along with the payment as a thank you.

In short, do you own a weapon for reasons other than hunting, if so, what is it and why?

(Also is a Concealed weapon permit, the same as a normal permit? like if I buy a hand gun but not a concealed weapon permit, do I have to constantly wave that gun around like "Hey guys, just to let you know here is my weapon!")
All of this varies wildly depending on which state you're in. In some states getting a concealed carry permit is relatively easy, some it is very difficult, and in some it is next to impossible. Some states actually have 'open carry'. In other words, you can sling a gun behind your back and walk around in broad daylight if you want to (as you can imagine, not a ton of people do this).

I've moved around a lot and had a concealed carry permit in nearly every state I've lived in (except California, which is one of the "basically impossible" states). To me, it's the 'condom principle' (I'd rather have it on me and not need it, than need it and not have it on me). I also own shotguns and rifles, which I use for skeet and target shooting, and hunting.

It's also important to understand that having a concealed carry permit doesn't give you the right to do whatever you want. You generally can't carry into any place that makes the majority of its profit from alcohol (bars, clubs, etc.), you can't bring them in any Government buildings, and you can't bring them to sporting events. If you drink and fire your weapon, even if it's a completely justified shooting, you can get in some serious shit. It's also entirely to be used as a defensive weapon. For example, if someone tries to mug you and you pull on them and they run off, you have to let them run, you can't chase them, and you certainly can't shoot them in the back.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
I enjoy firearms as a hobby. I enjoy owning, shooting modifying (legally) and even cleaning my weapons. I also own dozens of close combat weapons for the same reason. I do not carry them on me except to and from the range and do not have concealed carry. My home and person are protected by a security system and a combat knife. I am probably as likely to successfully defend myself with my knife than I am with my guns and pose much less of a threat to bystanders. However, not everyone is physically capable of using a blade for protection, so I can understand why people desire firearms for that role.

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
MattRooney06 said:

I know a guy who has a conceal and carry permit, but that was because he was buying 3 guns and would have had to pay for 3 background checks. By getting a conceal and carry permit he was able to pay for the permit check only. Basically, the paperwork worked out at saving him around $50, plus the conceal and carry class gave a lot of good info on gun safety and gun laws. These are good things to know if you are going to own guns.

I actually own 2 guns, both of them range weapons (a .22LR pistol and a .22LR rifle) that I would never use for hunting or self defense. I do not have a conceal and carry permit. My guns are basically recreational. I like to target shoot and I have been considering picking up a shotgun when money is no longer so tight for shooting clay pigeons. I also want to get an AR-15 for target shooting purposes, but they are expensive.

I honestly don't know the laws with carrying without a conceal and carry, because I do not carry ever. The only time I have my guns with me is when I am at a range. Otherwise they are under lock and key.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Getting beyond the arguments about self-defense and sport, remember that the Gun represents a finely tuned machine that was a driving force behind the industrial development of the western world. Concepts such as replaceable parts, where you can go out and buy a screw that fits everything rather than having to tailor make every component, were developed because of the need and the desire to increase gun production for national defense (and for offense).

There are many kinds of gun nuts, but like everything else, not all are created equal. The hobbyist who is mostly interested in velocities, precision, accuracy, and reliability, who custom machines gun parts in a home shop, is quite far removed from ultranationalist survivalists (or the gangers that hold their "pieces" sideways)

As with everything else, the ultra right and the ultra left dominate the gun discussion. If you find mechanical devices fascinating, guns are an incredible way to sate that interest. While not as complex as a watch, a watch can't deliver a metal projectile down range at high velocity.

Collegeboy21

Jan 26, 2010
I live in the United States, where there never seems to be a shortage of crazies and criminals with guns. I got a concealed carry permit a few years ago just because you never know when you could just be walking through a mall around here and some suicidal dude decides that he wants to take a dozen innocent people out with him. I carry not because I would want to go all John McClane on the guy, but to defend myself and my family if he came at us. I live in Utah, which most people think would be a pretty quiet place to live, and for the most part they would be correct, but even here we have mall shootings and gang activity. You just never know anymore, so that's why I never go out unarmed. I hope I never EVER have to use it, but I know that it's there if I need it.
Also, shooting guns out at the range is just plain fun.

Heronblade

Apr 12, 2011
MattRooney06 said:
Basically, with a standard permit, you can own and carry a firearm. You don't have to draw attention to it (in fact waving it around in the air is illegal), but it must always be either in plain view, or out of your immediate reach. For instance, you could keep it in your trunk, or in a holster on your belt, but not in the glove box of your car.

A concealed carry permit allows you to carry a hidden firearm with you. In a purse, in a shoulder holster under a jacket, under a car seat, etc.

There are, of course, exceptions to both.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
I own a gun because they're fun to shoot.

How queer.

I don't have a concealed permit or anything. My go to gun is around three feet long, no way I can hide it.