Gun Permits

chikusho

Jun 14, 2011
To have an easy way out if you ever get suicidal.
Can't risk losing the urge to off yourself while searching for a way to do it.

PrimitiveJudge

Aug 14, 2012
chikusho said:
Even if you joking, I do not find that funny at all. The sole point of guns here in America is to fight off tyranny. hunting is a plus. I would never dare to think of the 2nd Amendment as a escape goat towards ending life. Sorry but you killed my fun buzz

chikusho

Jun 14, 2011
PrimitiveJudge said:
chikusho said:
Even if you joking, I do not find that funny at all. The sole point of guns here in America is to fight off tyranny. hunting is a plus. I would never dare to think of the 2nd Amendment as a escape goat towards ending life. Sorry but you killed my fun buzz
The sole point of guns there in America is a massive industry thriving on peoples fear.
Unless you're talking about the second amendment, where the right to bear arms is constitutionally protected for a well regulated militia.

As for actual use, there are many reasons to have a gun. Penis enlargement and suicide are some pretty big ones.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
thaluikhain said:
If you have a gun for defending yourself, it has to be with yourself at any time you might be attacked. Which could be any time.
But the steam in the sauna room ruins the action on my 9mm!
Where are you concealing it, I wonder?

Kennetic

Jan 18, 2011
chikusho said:
PrimitiveJudge said:
chikusho said:
The sole point of guns there in America is a massive industry thriving on peoples fear.
Unless you're talking about the second amendment, where the right to bear arms is constitutionally protected for a well regulated militia.

As for actual use, there are many reasons to have a gun. Penis enlargement and suicide are some pretty big ones.
I don't think there's any point in arguing with you as it's hard to tell if you're trolling or not. Militias often are not formed until they are needed, therefore we have the right to bear arms so that we may form an effective militia quickly when the time comes. We are constitutionally able to own firearms, get over it. Thriving on fear? Tell that to the many families who have protected themselves from home invasions and the like. There is fear, but guess what, I'd rather be alive at the end of the day so I'll carry a gun at all times whenever possible.

Angelowl

Feb 8, 2013
As a swede the main interest is of course hunting, but you figured out that one on your own. Otherwise the historical fencing school I occasionally train at have discussed getting a club permit for crossbow-shooting and intend to combine it with medieval bows. So largely a historical interest. In the same vein I would like to get permits for blackpowder weapons, a musket, a carbine, pistols etc. Revolver shooting and old school repeater pistols would be fairly awesome as well.

So on my end it's largely because I'm a big hobby historian.

In summary, the main reasons in sweden are hunting, range shooting as a sport/hobby and for historical reenactment.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Shadowstar38 said:
MattRooney06 said:
Also is a Concealed weapon permit, the same as a normal permit? like if I buy a hand gun but not a concealed weapon permit, do I have to constantly wave that gun around like "Hey guys, just to let you know here is my weapon!"
If you bought a handgun without a permit, you have to keep it locked in a case, and put the bullets in a different location. With a Concealed permit, you can load it and put in your holster.

If I need to shot a guy, I want it to be as easy to get to as possible.
Why would you need to shoot a guy though?

Shadowstar38

Jul 20, 2011
Johnny Novgorod said:
Shadowstar38 said:
MattRooney06 said:
Also is a Concealed weapon permit, the same as a normal permit? like if I buy a hand gun but not a concealed weapon permit, do I have to constantly wave that gun around like "Hey guys, just to let you know here is my weapon!"
If you bought a handgun without a permit, you have to keep it locked in a case, and put the bullets in a different location. With a Concealed permit, you can load it and put in your holster.

In case I get robbed, carjacked, or someone just wants to spread some general malice.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Shadowstar38 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Shadowstar38 said:
MattRooney06 said:

In case I get robbed, carjacked, or someone just wants to spread some general malice.
You mean shoot them in the leg or pretty much anywhere?

Shadowstar38

Jul 20, 2011
Johnny Novgorod said:
Shadowstar38 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Shadowstar38 said:
MattRooney06 said:

Anywhere. Doesn't matter.

senordesol

Oct 12, 2009
Johnny Novgorod said:
Shadowstar38 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Shadowstar38 said:
MattRooney06 said:

Never aim for the limbs. Always go for the biggest, most stable target (center of mass).

rasputin0009

Feb 12, 2013
thaluikhain said:
MattRooney06 said:
My point is, why buy a gun, I'm interested, not judging, I get that some people use firearms to hunt (they do that here in fact) but why for instance, get yourself a concealed weapon permit?
If you have a gun for defending yourself, it has to be with yourself at any time you might be attacked. Which could be any time.
Ya, living in fear! That sounds like fun!

I don't believe handguns should be allowed to the public. Single shot or semi automatic long guns only. Locked in a gun locker seperate from ammo when not in use. No registration, but background checks into criminal, mental health, and rehab with a minimum one month wait period upon purchase.

Handguns are especially dangerous because they can be concealed. Unless you're a professional, I don't believe you are important enough to society to have the ability of instantly taking another person's life away.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Johnny Novgorod said:
Shadowstar38 said:
senordesol said:
Never aim for the limbs. Always go for the biggest, most stable target (center of mass).
I get killing someone in defense of your own life. In defense of your wallet, though?

senordesol

Oct 12, 2009
Johnny Novgorod said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Shadowstar38 said:
senordesol said:
I get killing someone in defense of your own life. In defense of your wallet, though?
In defense of your security.

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011
Well, congrats to this thread on getting into the 20's before someone came a bashing. I was very pleased with it being so non-judgemental and informative for so long.

Just to chime in though- I'm a US citizen living in Texas and hold a Virginia state concealed handgun license. Living in Baltimore, MD prior to moving to Texas, I've seen what happens when a law abiding populace is disarmed, but the criminal element is not, and I still have built in reflexes that people down here in Texas think are strange, such as keeping my head on a swivel when I'm sitting at a red light, or checking corners before walking up to my front door (this in a neighborhood now where most people leave their garage open), but that's just the kind of stuff you get used to when you constantly see neighbors getting mugged, or having friends catch stray bullets, or hear of people being carjacked in places you're at on your commute, and knowing that the police response time is ~5-10 minutes in the best case scenario.

I hope I never have to employ my concealed weapon, but if I do need to, I'm practiced, it's kept in proper condition, and my odds of survival will be far better than if I didn't have it. Also, to above poster- no, you never "shoot them in the leg" or any of that nonsense. There's a reason police don't practice for it either. You aim where you know for a fact you're going to hit, and you be sure of your target. Under stress it'll be difficult enough to ensure you're even able to hit ANY target, and the worst thing you could do is miss and harm someone unintended.

If the worst case does happen, and you're employing a firearm in defense of your life, your intent has to be to end the threat on your or others' lives as quickly as possible. Hollywood's portrayal of people being hit in the leg or arm or shoulder and immediately being out of the fight are rather false, realistically, with a handgun, it normally takes several hits in a vital area to remove an aggressor from the fight. See recent examples such as the mother who defended herself and her child against an attacker after fleeing to a closet. Having no other choice, she shot him several times (can't quite recall if it was 5 or 6 shots) from a .38 or .357 revolver and he left the house, got into his car, and left before crashing and being found later. The point being, he was still up and about, and thank God he was no longer intent on doing whatever he was there to do, because in all honesty, he still could've done something terrible in that time he was still on his feet.

A good (but lengthy) watch for anyone interested in what different gunshot wounds ACTUALLY do in real world situations, as lectured by a well respected ER doctor.

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011
rasputin0009 said:
thaluikhain said:
MattRooney06 said:
My point is, why buy a gun, I'm interested, not judging, I get that some people use firearms to hunt (they do that here in fact) but why for instance, get yourself a concealed weapon permit?
Ya, living in fear! That sounds like fun!

I don't believe handguns should be allowed to the public. Single shot or semi automatic long guns only. Locked in a gun locker seperate from ammo when not in use. No registration, but background checks into criminal, mental health, and rehab with a minimum one month wait period upon purchase.

Handguns are especially dangerous because they can be concealed. Unless you're a professional, I don't believe you are important enough to society to have the ability of instantly taking another person's life away.
http://the7thpwr.wordpress.com/accidental-police-shootings/
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/feb/7/manhunt-under-way-ex-cop-suspected-killing-cop-cou/
https://www.change.org/petitions/justice-for-ethan-governor-martin-o-malley-we-need-an-independent-investigation-and-training-for-police

Because those professionals ALWAYS get it right don't they? It must be really great living in the world in your head, where you can instaspawn competent police immediately when someone bad happens. There's a difference between living in fear, and being prepared to take care of yourself.

Also, I was given the pleasure of living in fear for the 22 years that I lived somewhere where there weren't concealed weapons permits or handguns allowed, seeing neighbors being mugged twice a week outside of their home and waiting for police to show up later got real old, and this was in a *mostly* good suburban neighborhood. I'm thankful now that I live somewhere that gives me a choice that allows me to be ready to defend myself.

chikusho

Jun 14, 2011
Kennetic said:
I don't think there's any point in arguing with you as it's hard to tell if you're trolling or not. Militias often are not formed until they are needed, therefore we have the right to bear arms so that we may form an effective militia quickly when the time comes. We are constitutionally able to own firearms, get over it. Thriving on fear? Tell that to the many families who have protected themselves from home invasions and the like. There is fear, but guess what, I'd rather be alive at the end of the day so I'll carry a gun at all times whenever possible.
It's hard to know if we're talking about the same thing or not. The second amendment grants the right to bear arms for a well regulated militia. The first clause trumps the second clause, according the Supreme Court, ergo:

"The right to bear arms is not granted by the Constitution; neither is it in any manner dependent upon that instrument for its existence"

And that has been the legal stance until 2008, when NRA lobbying finally changed public perception enough for a court to uphold the second clause above the first, and literally changed the constitution.

To me, it sounds like you have your own personal interpretation of second amendment, so I don't know if there's any point in arguing.

Protected themselves? Tell that to the many families who killed themselves or each other, lost a family member, friend or child in gun related accidents "and the like".

There is fear, but guess what, the last thing two fearful people need are lethal weapons. Because that can quickly turn to two dead people.

Shadowstar38

Jul 20, 2011
Johnny Novgorod said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Shadowstar38 said:
senordesol said:
Legally? He's putting me in danger, so I'm well within my rights.

On moral grounds? He's robbing me. I can't spare many fucks to give.

senordesol

Oct 12, 2009
chikusho said:
Kennetic said:
It's hard to know if we're talking about the same thing or not. The second amendment grants the right to bear arms for a well regulated militia. The first clause trumps the second clause, according the Supreme Court, ergo:

"The right to bear arms is not granted by the Constitution; neither is it in any manner dependent upon that instrument for its existence"

And that has been the legal stance until 2008, when NRA lobbying finally changed public perception enough for a court to uphold the second clause above the first, and literally changed the constitution.

To me, it sounds like you have your own personal interpretation of second amendment, so I don't know if there's any point in arguing.

Protected themselves? Tell that to the many families who killed themselves or each other, lost a family member, friend or child in gun related accidents "and the like".

There is fear, but guess what, the last thing two fearful people need are lethal weapons. Because that can quickly turn to two dead people.
A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of The People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As with many laws, it's interpretation has changed over the years, but I find it interesting that every other place the Constitution refers to 'The People', it means...well...The People. Why it should be any different here, I have no idea.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Shadowstar38 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Shadowstar38 said:
senordesol said:
Legally? He's putting me in danger, so I'm well within my rights.

On moral grounds? He's robbing me. I can't spare many fucks to give.
I'm pretty sure murder is a worse crime than theft. Morally.