Gunman holding hostages in Martin Place (Sydney - Australia)

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Hi Escapists,

It looks like someone linked with Islamic Extremists have taken hostages in Martin Place (Sydney), just a few blocks from where I'm working. So far it looks like 1 or 2 gunman which have the hostages holding an Islamic flag up against the windows.
Will keep updated on here as I hear more on TV etc.

Sydney Morning Herald:
http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/police-clear-martin-place-after-gunman-holds-hostages-at-lindt-chocolat-cafe-20141214-127824.html

Update: 5 hostages have 'escaped'

Nickolai77

Apr 3, 2009
This is really shocking, I feel so sorry for the hostages and their families. I hope the police and security services manage to save all of the hostages, I don't think Australia has had to face an Islamist terrorist attack before.

The hostage takers have chosen a good location to plenty of media footage, with it being so close to a news room in the centre of Sydney. According to this thread [http://www.reddit.com/r/worldnews/comments/2pb0sg/lindt_chocolat_cafe_hostage_drama_in_martin_place/] there's also rumours of bombs being placed around the city, and that they want to speak with the prime minister live on radio. Again I stress these are rumours.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Nickolai77 said:
This is really shocking, I feel so sorry for the hostages and their families. I hope the police and security services manage to save all of the hostages, I don't think Australia has had to face an Islamist terrorist attack before.

The hostage takers have chosen a good location to plenty of media footage, with it being so close to a news room in the centre of Sydney. According to this thread [http://www.reddit.com/r/worldnews/comments/2pb0sg/lindt_chocolat_cafe_hostage_drama_in_martin_place/] there's also rumours of bombs being placed around the city, and that they want to speak with the prime minister live on radio. Again I stress these are rumours.
Thanks for the link.
The Opera House was evacuated for abit as some suspicious packages were found but it has since been found to be a false alert.
This is the first attack by Islamic groups that haven't been foiled, unfortunately it was bound to happen sooner or later, just hope ASIO (Australian Security similar to UK's MI5) can bring this to a safe end.
The CBD has been seriously crippled as far as travel goes and where I'm working their asking people not to leave the building unless it's necessary, so there's basically a lock down in most places.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Stay safe if you're in the CBD.

I've definitely been to that cafe at least twice. I hope this ends peacefully.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
RicoADF said:
just hope ASIO (Australian Security similar to UK's MI5) can bring this to a safe end.
NSW still holds operational command not the Commonwealth. TRG will likely spearhead any action. Despite what some social media plonkers think, TAG-East are not going to get a call out to such a small incident that is under massive media scrutiny.

Off-Topic: I swear I'm going to choke the next journo that calls a police marksman a 'sniper'.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
RhombusHatesYou said:
NSW still holds operational command not the Commonwealth. TRG will likely spearhead any action. Despite what some social media plonkers think, TAG-East are not going to get a call out to such a small incident that is under massive media scrutiny.
Some reports are saying that if it's classified as a terrorist attack then the command could change to Commonwealth, however for now yes your correct the police are taking care of it.

RhombusHatesYou said:
Off-Topic: I swear I'm going to choke the next journo that calls a police marksman a 'sniper'.
There's a lot of that sort of stuff, just remember that for the general public there's no difference even though there really is a big difference to those that know the subject matter. It's like when they say tanks are rolling into a city and the images show M113's or other APC's, to you or I their nothing like a tank but to the general public they look like one.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
RicoADF said:
Some reports are saying that if it's classified as a terrorist attack then the command could change to Commonwealth, however for now yes your correct the police are taking care of it.
Still doubtful unless it turns out the siege is part of a larger operation.

Even then, AFP are far more likely to be the visible lead for the Commonwealth than ASIO.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
RhombusHatesYou said:
RicoADF said:
just hope ASIO (Australian Security similar to UK's MI5) can bring this to a safe end.

Actually I thought the PM may have chosen to mobilise TAG (if he were legally able) to make it as if the Government was going to take the toughest stance possible: similar to how John Howard used the S.A.S. to board the Tampa when strictly that should have been a job for the Customs service.

I mean every news report I've seen today aligns with your comment: NSW Police special operations group/tactical assault group are in place and basically waiting for the go ahead.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
RhombusHatesYou said:
Still doubtful unless it turns out the siege is part of a larger operation.

Even then, AFP are far more likely to be the visible lead for the Commonwealth than ASIO.
I agree it's likely going to be local police and/or AFP, but if Abbott wanted to show a firm stance then as Gordon above said he could send TAG to take the building and I wouldn't be surprised if they were on alert in case the call came.

EbonBehelit

Oct 19, 2010
I won't be surprised if Abbott declares a stronger committment to fighting ISIS after this incident.

It doesn't matter whether or not the perps even claim allegiance to ISIS or not: this is all the excuse our government needed.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
EbonBehelit said:
I won't be surprised if Abbott declares a stronger committment to fighting ISIS after this incident.

It doesn't matter whether or not the perps even claim allegiance to ISIS or not: this is all the excuse our government needed.
Coincidentally, in today's mid year budget update they announced they're ripping another 3.7 billion out of the foreign aid budget and spending it on 'national security' instead.

Which strikes me as odd, given that properly targeted foreign aid is one of the best forms of security spending you can get.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
5 hostages have 'escaped', strange that 3 were able to escape then 2 more later. Wondering if it was actually that he let them leave but who knows, currently the news is saying escaped so reporting as such.

Lil_Rimmy

Mar 19, 2011
RicoADF said:
5 hostages have 'escaped', strange that 3 were able to escape then 2 more later. Wondering if it was actually that he let them leave but who knows, currently the news is saying escaped so reporting as such.
Well, one report showed 40 hostages in the cafe, which for (the now apparently confirmed one gunman) is far too many to handle. Frankly, all it would take is for him to turn his back and the hostages could take him. Bloody way to go, but he wouldn't be able to take more than two. So far they have confirmed one gunman wearing a black vest with a shotgun, which frankly means any sort of resistance from the hostages is going to go bad for him.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Lil_Rimmy said:
Well, one report showed 40 hostages in the cafe, which for (the now apparently confirmed one gunman) is far too many to handle. Frankly, all it would take is for him to turn his back and the hostages could take him. Bloody way to go, but he wouldn't be able to take more than two. So far they have confirmed one gunman wearing a black vest with a shotgun, which frankly means any sort of resistance from the hostages is going to go bad for him.
Yeah I've been wondering why they haven't rushed him, 40 v 1 the guy would be stuffed esp if he had his back to those that went for him.

Lil_Rimmy

Mar 19, 2011
RicoADF said:
Lil_Rimmy said:
Yeah I've been wondering why they haven't rushed him, 40 v 1 the guy would be stuffed esp if he had his back to those that went for him.
Well, that's literally what a copper (my dear ol' dad) said they should do. Even 12 v 1 the guy with a shotgun is screwed. If the number is as close to 40 as the news estimated, then he would pretty much be forced to let hostages go in order to stop something like this happening.

I can only hope the police grow a pair and send in the SOG or the like. The last time we had such a dangerous situation (the crazy farmer with a bomb vest) the higher ups fucked up real bad. Let's hope they decide to actually do something this time. Because if they don't act at all, the only thing that is gonna kick the police into gear is someone dying, then the big guns come out. It's a shitty way to do it.

On another note, as far as I have seen, they haven't actually made contact with the gunman yet. That's pretty bloody weird...

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Lil_Rimmy said:
RicoADF said:
Lil_Rimmy said:
Well, that's literally what a copper (my dear ol' dad) said they should do. Even 12 v 1 the guy with a shotgun is screwed. If the number is as close to 40 as the news estimated, then he would pretty much be forced to let hostages go in order to stop something like this happening.

I can only hope the police grow a pair and send in the SOG or the like. The last time we had such a dangerous situation (the crazy farmer with a bomb vest) the higher ups fucked up real bad. Let's hope they decide to actually do something this time. Because if they don't act at all, the only thing that is gonna kick the police into gear is someone dying, then the big guns come out. It's a shitty way to do it.

On another note, as far as I have seen, they haven't actually made contact with the gunman yet. That's pretty bloody weird...
Last I saw on the news was that the Soggys were deployed but hadn't been given the go. According to news.com.au one of the important things they do not know is if this guy is acting alone which I believe is what informs their approach.

Lil_Rimmy

Mar 19, 2011
Welp, just saw on the news the moment the 5 got out. The two girls just ran out, two business men ran out and lastly, rather interestingly, an employee got out and was followed OUT of the fire escape by a Soggy. That means either the cops have got people already inside the building (most likely) or that he went in to make sure he got out ok.

Also, apparently contact has been made. So yeah. Stuff be happening. Hope the fucker gets caught. Or shot. Either or.