Guns : A simple solution

M-E-D The Poet

Sep 12, 2011
thaluikhain said:
Luna said:
Yeah. I don't see the point in civilians owning automatic weapons anyway. The only problem with this is if a civilian is unable to defend themselves against a criminal with an automatic weapon due to their weapon not being powerful enough, but the benefits probably outweigh the costs.
In the US, the only automatic weapons that can legally be owned by civilians are those registered before May 1986, and those are very thing on the ground.
I still find this weird and hard to believe, I've a firm memory of U.S gun stores that have racks with M16A2's behind the tiller.

Now this might be different states or awfully documented but I still feel a ban on anything bigger than a Handgun should have decent reason to be put into place (with the exception for huntsmen(Rifles)/Military(all)/Police(rifles)/Swat(Assault weaponry) )

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
M-E-D The Poet said:
Gun sales to civilians should be limited to handguns. Well documented,Well registered and fairly supplied.

For example : A M1911 with 1-3 clips is by law acceptable and registered to the person that owns it, an AK74 is now banned under all circumstances.

Sure you may love guns but even you mister gun nut should be able to accept the fact that there is no god damn good reason for you to be harboring an arsenal unless the zombie apocalypse breaks out, and that'd be a damn shoddy argument in court.
When you consider that the insanely overwhelming majority of gun crimes exclusively involve handguns... congratulations, you've just fixed absolutely nothing. It's like saying, "Everyone's doing cocaine, and it's a problem: Outlaw ibuprofen!"

And you might not think there is any reason for the "gun nut" to own an arsenal, but thankfully that's not how America works -- we don't outlaw things because we don't see a reason for people to have them. If that "gun nut" isn't doing anything wrong with those weapons (that is, nearly all "gun nuts") then the law has no business telling him he "doesn't need it."

Also, please tell us specifically why you feel the "AK74" (I'll assume you mean AK-47) should be banned.

hellsop

Feb 28, 2009
tippy2k2 said:
You can't ban guns in America at this point. There are just too many out there already circulating and banning them will do very little. Also, if you intend to ban them AND try to take the ones already out there away, I am personally convinced that THIS would cause a new civil war in America.
I recommend offering a no-questions-asked trade of firearms for about five grams of good quality heroin. It exchanges a durable product for a consumable one, and anyone that wants to hang onto a firearm starts being VERY CAREFUL of it.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
M-E-D The Poet said:
thaluikhain said:
Luna said:
Yeah. I don't see the point in civilians owning automatic weapons anyway. The only problem with this is if a civilian is unable to defend themselves against a criminal with an automatic weapon due to their weapon not being powerful enough, but the benefits probably outweigh the costs.
In the US, the only automatic weapons that can legally be owned by civilians are those registered before May 1986, and those are very thing on the ground.
I still find this weird and hard to believe, I've a firm memory of U.S gun stores that have racks with M16A2's behind the tiller.
You can find tons of semi-automatic versions of weapons people usually assume to be automatic. Cosmetically, they're the same. Even fire the same rounds. But some changes to the internals, and they are no longer fully automatic. So basically, the M16's and AR15's and AK47's that everyone is so terrified of? They aren't the least bit different from a semi-automatic "hunting rifle."

(Except that people who don't know about them are scared by how they look, because they've watched too many movies and not read enough books.)

IndomitableSam

Sep 6, 2011
Canada doesn't allow the sale of any but hunting-type guns, really (there are exceptions), but people still get shot here all the damn time. My city is full of guns (not Toronto) and people are killed all the time. Banning guns doesn't work - it's all a societal and social issue. Most crimes wouldn't happen if the poor and marginalized people were better taken care of and given the same respect as everyone else. ... That gets into big issues, especially here in my city, though, as my city is incredibly racist. It's hard to deal with, how badly we treat certain peoples. I would go so far as to say we're as bad as the south 50 years ago - except it's all done under the guise of "political correctness". It's no wonder we're the murder capital of Canada.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
M-E-D The Poet said:
Are you sure they weren't AR-15s or something? Outwardly, they are exactly the same, being based on the same design, but they've lost their selective fire capacity.

Dastardly said:
Also, please tell us specifically why you feel the "AK74" (I'll assume you mean AK-47) should be banned.
Well, if you are banning everything except handguns, both AK-47s and AK-74s would be banned. Of course, you can't buy new ones of them anyway, unless they've been modified to remove the selective fire capacity.

Personally, I'm more perplexed by the idea of banning rifles, but not handguns. And, the usual "clips are not magazines". And it seems like there's an assumption that military and police have to be exempt from restrictions of private civilian ownership of guns...yeah, they don't buy their own.

Bloodtrozorx

Jan 23, 2012
M-E-D The Poet said:
For example : A M1911 with 1-3 clips is by law acceptable and registered to the person that owns it, an AK74 is now banned under all circumstances.
So my question is, what happens to those of us who own an ak74/47?

Originally I wanted to quote that crazy ole bastard Charlie Heston and say "From my cold dead hands" but I own a semi-automatic AK-47 clone. I don't want to kill scores of people, I want to target shoot with my family and hunt deer for their delicious meat. Sure there are other firearms for that purpose but this is the one I chose. Maybe people fear the firearm I own but I've followed the letter of the law.

PoweD

Mar 26, 2009
M-E-D The Poet said:
thaluikhain said:
Luna said:

Now this might be different states or awfully documented but I still feel a ban on anything bigger than a Handgun should have decent reason to be put into place (with the exception for huntsmen(Rifles)/Military(all)/Police(rifles)/Swat(Assault weaponry) )
The're semi auto civilian versions, or AR-15 models.

I personally find banning guns useless, for every nutjob there is killing somebody with a legal weapon, there's 1000 who just use the guns for recreational use.
And how would creating a black market solve anything?

joonsk

Feb 26, 2011
nononono, not handguns, but muskets! they can still defend you, but you can't keep firing them because they only have one bullet and need 2 minutes to reload. it's genius! the only other plans I have are pointed sticks or bad music.

joonsk

Feb 26, 2011
nononono, not handguns, but muskets! they can still defend you, but you can't keep firing them because they only have one bullet and need 2 minutes to reload. it's genius! the only other plans I have are pointed sticks or bad music.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
thaluikhain said:
Well, if you are banning everything except handguns, both AK-47s and AK-74s would be banned. Of course, you can't buy new ones of them anyway, unless they've been modified to remove the selective fire capacity.
The reason I'm asking the OP is because I'd like to know why he singled this weapon type out for banning. Effectively, a semi-automatic AR-15 is a "hunting rifle." To my mind, the only reason to ban that kind of weapon is because it looks scary to the uneducated (who assume that it must work the way it does in the movies).

Personally, I'm more perplexed by the idea of banning rifles, but not handguns. And, the usual "clips are not magazines". And it seems like there's an assumption that military and police have to be exempt from restrictions of private civilian ownership of guns...yeah, they don't buy their own.
One might also consider that, for home defense, shotguns can sometimes be far safer than even handguns. Again, people are afraid of them because movies and games treat them like scatter-fire death machines -- ignorance leads to fear, fear leads to stupid legislation.

The lot of this 'case' seems to indicate that too many people have "knowledge" of guns collected exclusively from video games and movies. It'd be like someone arguing in scientific circles about gravity because Superman and Hancock can fly.

the doom cannon

Jun 28, 2012
I feel obligated to clarify that "rifle" and "assault rifle" are very, VERY different words, and you should classify guns properly when talking about them. I also feel that I should clarify that handguns, not rifles, are the leading cause of firearm related death in the United States.

I just had to use the Hello Kitty M4. And to be an assault rifle it needs to have a fire selector that moves to full automatic. Otherwise it's just a rifle.
I am entitled to stockpile as many weapons as I want (well starting next year) and as much ammunition as I want, provided I store it properly in a gunsafe with proper locks on each weapon, and of course store ammunition in a separate case. Contrary to popular belief, us gun-loving americans don't sleep with guns under our pillows and am ak47 on the bed frame.

Captcha: Taco Tuesday
Damn right it is

AngloDoom

Aug 2, 2008
joonsk said:
nononono, not handguns, but muskets! they can still defend you, but you can't keep firing them because they only have one bullet and need 2 minutes to reload. it's genius!
This...this is actually the best plan I have seen on the issue. You just got yourself another vote for 'Supreme Prime-Chancellor President of Earth', my friend.

Plus, muskets and flintlocks are snazzy: Fable taught us that.

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
Luna said:
we have not been legally allowed to own assault weapons since the 1930s. we do not have people running around armed with hks and m16s this is not afghanstan.

really wish you anti gun people would bother to learn something about gun laws before you presume to tell us what we should or should not own.

any modern day "assault weapons" ban, does not ban any assault weapons, the ban single fire weapons with magazines of over XX rounds, so they ban extended clips and things like that for standard everyday rifles.

i am so sick of the anti gun stuff period, how about you live your lives, we live ours, and using every and any tragedy that pops up because some mentally derranged moron decides to take a few people out for the lulz because he is in a state that does not allow anyone to be armed anywhere so it is like shooting fish in a friggin barrel, is disgusting at best.

how about we ban knives? baseball bats? fists and feet? we can chop em off they are deadly weapons, there will always be sociopaths, psychos, and morons that will do heinous things, but condemning a whole society on the actions if a extreme minority like it is some epidemic. just grow up.

we can argue that if people were allowed to carry that theater thing would never went down, or that the person that did it would have thought twice about the uncertainty of maybe half the theater was armed.

or those armed burglers, if one neighborhood is a no guns zone, and another is armed to the teeth, which neighborhood would they burgle with impunity?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Dastardly said:
thaluikhain said:
The reason I'm asking the OP is because I'd like to know why he singled this weapon type out for banning. Effectively, a semi-automatic AR-15 is a "hunting rifle." To my mind, the only reason to ban that kind of weapon is because it looks scary to the uneducated (who assume that it must work the way it does in the movies).
Well, I thought that was just an example of something that would be banned.

Mind you, some US states had assault weapon definitions which (for some reason) included specific weapons built by specific companies, as well as a list of criteria everyone else had to fit, so there does seem to be that mentality.

Dastardly said:
One might also consider that, for home defense, shotguns can sometimes be far safer than even handguns. Again, people are afraid of them because movies and games treat them like scatter-fire death machines -- ignorance leads to fear, fear leads to stupid legislation.
That too...though most games I've played depict them as utterly useless at any ranges further than you could throw them. Mind you, I remember footage of someone firing a Taurus Judge IRL, in which that seemed to be the case.

Marcus Kehoe

Mar 18, 2011
I do believe there should be a little harsher laws on gun's but things like assault rifles should be available but only with more severe licensing.

And a point that many people think the fully-automatic's are easy to get, the cheapest ,machine gun is around 4 thousand dollars, and the fact that there have been less then five accounts of legally owned machine guns being involved in murder.

Again I couldn't find statistics but I would put a lot more money on pistols killing more people then rifles.

Give us stricter laws but make sure the people who are safe to won are capable of getting what they want, make sure people with any criminal record or mental issues can't get guns or can only own very small calibers like 22.'s.

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
I think that people should stop buying guns, and start buying crossbows. Sure, they may not be as effective as firearms, but it's not the weapon that matters, it's how you use it. Also, crossbows are really awesome.