Guys (or girls I guess): How would you react to this?

astrav1

Jul 6, 2009
ReservoirAngel said:
So me and the boyfriend were talking about this earlier on today, after branching off from a conversation that WAS about coffee. Dunno how we got from coffee to this topic, but oh well.

Basically, how would you react if one of your same-sex friends confessed to having a really strong crush on you, or even loving you?

Cause both me and him have been on both sides of this situation. I've had a friend I didn't even think was into dudes confess to thinking I was massively cute and that he wanted to fuck me, and I've confessed pretty much the same (while slightly stoned, I admit) to another one of my friends over Facebook (private messaging, nobody else saw).

As for my boyfriend, he had a friend of his practically declare his undying love for him, and has confessed a massive crush to someone who he practically KNEW hated his guts. Didn't end well for him, but that's a story for another day.

So yeah, what would your instinctual reaction to be if one of your close friends suddenly out of pretty much nowhere confessed such feelings towards you?
So is he your boyfriend or a friend that is a boy? As for me I would feel quite flattered, but at the same time bad for not being able to return the attraction. A love between friends is one thing I can do, but romantic love with a dude is something that I just can't feel.

Grospoliner

Feb 16, 2010
I would be flattered, and if I was attracted to them in such a way I would reciprocate.

Unfortunately I only have a few friends, most of them male and none of them are what I would consider my type (also I'm not into guys anyway). And all my female friends are married, also none of which are my type.

C'est la vie.

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
astrav1 said:
ReservoirAngel said:
So me and the boyfriend were talking about this earlier on today, after branching off from a conversation that WAS about coffee. Dunno how we got from coffee to this topic, but oh well.

Basically, how would you react if one of your same-sex friends confessed to having a really strong crush on you, or even loving you?

Cause both me and him have been on both sides of this situation. I've had a friend I didn't even think was into dudes confess to thinking I was massively cute and that he wanted to fuck me, and I've confessed pretty much the same (while slightly stoned, I admit) to another one of my friends over Facebook (private messaging, nobody else saw).

As for my boyfriend, he had a friend of his practically declare his undying love for him, and has confessed a massive crush to someone who he practically KNEW hated his guts. Didn't end well for him, but that's a story for another day.

So yeah, what would your instinctual reaction to be if one of your close friends suddenly out of pretty much nowhere confessed such feelings towards you?
So is he your boyfriend or a friend that is a boy? As for me I would feel quite flattered, but at the same time bad for not being able to return the attraction. A love between friends is one thing I can do, but romantic love with a dude is something that I just can't feel.
He is my boyfriend. Not just a male friend, a boyfriend. You know, the whole 9 inch - erm, 9 yards. *shifty eyes*

astrav1

Jul 6, 2009
ReservoirAngel said:
astrav1 said:
ReservoirAngel said:

He is my boyfriend. Not just a male friend, a boyfriend. You know, the whole 9 inch - erm, 9 yards. *shifty eyes*
Ha! I'm assuming he was not your boyfriend previous to the conversation. Am I correct in assuming so?

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
astrav1 said:
ReservoirAngel said:
astrav1 said:
ReservoirAngel said:

Ha! I'm assuming he was not your boyfriend previous to the conversation. Am I correct in assuming so?
No we've been dating for several months now.

Sep 8, 2010
ReservoirAngel said:
...........jealous...

Seriously, though, I do think it's different for straight guys when that happens. A lot of them get freaked out. Even before I realized that I was kinda into dudes too, though, I was flattered on the few occasions that this sort of thing happened. Nice to know -someone- thinks you're great, you know?

Irony's Acolyte

Back from the Depths
Mar 9, 2010
Well I'd defiantly be flatter, but I may or may not take them up on their offer of a relationship. I've had a friend which I believe was coming on to me (I'm horrible at reading stuff like that, so I may or may not have been noticing things that weren't there), but I just wasn't isn't her, hence nothing really came of it. So if one of my male friends confessed to really being into me, if I felt like the feelings were similar in me (even if it isn't a crush or love, if I felt somewhat affectionate) I might give it a chance. But I might just feel like we're best being friends. If I don't take them up on their offer, I'd still do my best to keep them as a friend. All just because we can't take our relationship to the next level doesn't mean we have to abandon it.

And seeing as I'm pansexual, gender wouldn't be a big deal for me. Female or male, if you're to my tastes I'm probably into you; but if your not sorry, that's just the way it is.

Jan 23, 2010
No but I've been on the opposite side, I was the one telling my friend. But he took it well and we talked about it for a while. We are still good friends, but he did move to another town shortly after, 1000 kilometers away.

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
TheMagicLemur said:
ReservoirAngel said:
...........jealous...

Seriously, though, I do think it's different for straight guys when that happens. A lot of them get freaked out. Even before I realized that I was kinda into dudes too, though, I was flattered on the few occasions that this sort of thing happened. Nice to know -someone- thinks you're great, you know?
...........joking... it's only 8.

And I get what you're saying. Even when my female friends used to express interest in me I felt that way. I had no interest in them OR their funparts but it was flattering, especially since I have perpetually low self-esteem. Seriously, a 5'8" skinny blonde guy with camp clothes and 'guyliner' never really gets that much interest shown in him. I was just honoured someone found me attractive.

MrGFunk

Oct 29, 2008
Unless they know you're BI/Gay and single all they're doing is testing the waters to see if it's likely to go anywhere. If you're friends surely you know what way they float and if they fancy you.

I've had this as a hetero situation and, man, I knew. No one is shocked by these divulgences.

OmniscientOstrich

Jan 6, 2011
Probably jump him without thinking it through, pretty much all of my friends are straight (as far as I'm aware) so I find this pretty unlikely to happen. As such I try not to think of them in that way as it would probably just make things awkward, though I admit I have a couple of friends I wouldn't mind getting... 'closer' to.

t3h br0th3r

May 7, 2009
ReservoirAngel said:

Never had that happen to me but I'd, more than likely, be stunned for a bit and flattered afterwards.

Despite being somewhere between a 0 and 1 on the Kinesy scale, having some cross-platform
appeal would be a nice stroke to the ego.

I'd tell him I didn't like guys and ask my bi friend to have the gay version of real talk with him.

Nov 11, 2010
I would be flattered that they'd value me as an individual so highly. Depending on my status at the time, I might very well see where the situation might progress. If not, then I'd try and let them down gently by saying that as touched as I am with their attention, the current scenario isn't conducive to what they're wishing to get out of it.

KaizokuouHasu

May 19, 2011
This has happened to me, but I knew the guy was gay before the event; I just didn't know he had been interested with me. I handled it well, and I told him how things were. Nothing serious.

We're still in contact and we meet up occasionally.

The sad context to the story; for 4 years almost everyone I went to school with thought I was gay! And I only found out about that after I left college! I was always wondering why girls asked me for advise about boys... ¬_¬