Guys That Play Girls In Games. Why?

jdogtwodolla

phbbhbbhpbhphbhpbttttt......
Feb 12, 2009
An obvious answer would be because my play style is better when it comes to fighting games.

RamirezDoEverything

Jan 31, 2010
It's something different. I have a female character for New Vegas simply because it's different than selecting a male in every single game. Plus the Black Widow/Cheez La Femme perk..

Khada

Night Angel
Jan 8, 2009
Sometimes they just look cooler. I found it much easier to make a good looking female in oblivion than a male. Sometimes it fits better with the class too. Tends to look more natural in games when you see a female sneaking around. Males can look like top heavy freaks when they try to sneak. Males tend to look more natural in 'buff' roles however such as tanking etc.

End of the day... Its just personal preference. I personally play both.

Death God

Jul 6, 2010
To see if the story of the game is different. I may not be sexist but the game might. Plus, it's a video game and if I'm going to try and create a second personality, I want to make sure I know it's a second personality. Plus, playing as a girl is fun when guys start hitting on you and you tell them your a dude.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Because I for some reason feel the need to be an asshole woman with no fear sticking to sexist men while having a heart that is not afraid to show itself. That is why I prefer to play as women instead of men when given the choice.

AgDr_ODST

Cortana's guardian
Oct 22, 2009
never played as a woman and Im not sure I ever intend too...but if I wear to I think the reason may be to see what in what if any ways it makes the story different

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
Most of the time it's just for variety, but it's also partly because I can usually relate to female characters more than male ones, for some reason.

Thurston

Nov 1, 2007
I'm guy, always been a guy, lotsa guy friends. I know guys. Women are still interesting. As a writer, I use female characters, as fleshing out a story from a very different perspective is more fun.

With character creation and customization, playing "dressup" with female characters is more fun. It may explain why so many fashion designers for women are guys. My characters tend to dress modestly and practically, by the way, with very rare diversions into frivolity and sexy. My female heroes and villains in City of Heroes are much more likely to have their extra costume slots unlocked.

The hero, to some extent, should be an underdog. Although not as pronounced as it used to be, female heroic leads are, classically speaking, MORE the underdog.

Having met some interesting people in my time, I can easily imagine a woman in the lead of an action adventure story. A friend of my sister, for example, was the "enforcer" of her mixed-gender hockey team, and once responded to a hazing in high school by punching the guy in the face.

Also, Avatar: The Last Airbender. Toph, Azula, Katara, Mai, Ty Lee, Suki, Avatar Kiyoshi. Some serious action gals in that show, and I try to make my female characters interesting and capable.

PS: Avatar Kiyoshi was voiced by Jennifer Hale, who seems to be getting a lot of attention as Ms. Sheppard in this forum. Rightfully so. She's a great performer. And Avatar Kiyoshi, she came off as kind of scary...

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
Zechnophobe said:
Chairman Miaow said:
Zechnophobe said:
Chairman Miaow said:
Zechnophobe said:
Chairman Miaow said:
I wasn't saying you can't, I was just saying that it ruins the immersion for me because I'm not a girl. I can't understand why you would play in a way that makes the game less fun. Maybe that's just me.
If you play a game as spiderman, does it ruin the immersion for you, because you aren't spiderman? If you play Link, who is left handed, does it ruin the immersion for you because you aren't left handed?

Considering the large number of possible differences between your character and you, I am surprised you ever get immersed.

You would ask 'why' I would do this, but that is about as interesting as asking why I would make the character's hair black, their past shady, or their favorite dessert ice cream.
Name one immersive spider-man game. I can imagine being left-handed, I can relate. I know nothing about what it's like to be a woman, it's more difficult to relate.

Also I hate Legend of Zelda.
The point is that it seems like you aren't really asking the right question, or are going about it the wrong way. You can't relate to the opposite sex well, but others can. Some do it for specific reasons (As mentioned here) others simply because they don't have a hard time relating... or better yet like the mystery of it.

I couldn't relate to being an agile assassin. Partially because I don't kill people normally. But partially because I have a disability that makes me very NON agile. And yet I *love* playing agile characters in games because they let me experience things differently.
I'm not asking for a reason why I should play as a woman, I know there isn't one, or I would already be playing as women (except when they have bonus content) I'm asking why other people do.
I realize that, and I'm telling you that it is as silly a question as 'why do people that are right handed play left handed characters in games?'
Clearly it isn't a silly question as, if you look back to my edited original post, I have already received a wide range of answers all from people who play as women in games.

Frozengale

Sep 9, 2009
Mainly it has to deal with the fact that I like girls. I would rather spend my time looking at a girl then a guy; and so it goes when I'm playing a game. Also another part is that if the game is going to have the option where I can change my characters look and style (most games that include the choice of female/male playable characters are going to be doing this) I prefer customizing the outfits for girl characters. I'm one of those strange guys that finds style fascinating and I find it that much more fascinating on girls then guys. I have had loads of fun going into dress shops with some of my female friends and watching them try on different dresses and the like and just getting to look at all the amazing designs in the store. So it goes with games, I love finding costumes or clothing to put on my avatar and finding the right style that makes them look good. Don't get me wrong I also like to play guy characters, and coming up with a persona and style for them, it's just it usually feels more satisfying to come up with an amazing look and feel for a female avatar then a male avatar.

Now that I think about it though I don't play females that much more often, it's usually 60% female 40% male.

StraightToHeck

Booby booby bum bum.
Oct 13, 2010
one explanation I heard was from some football players who played WoW as female blood elves:
"If we have to run around looking at someone's butt all the time, it might as well be one that's pleasant to look at."

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
Because I can?
This is primarily the reason. I have a choice to play both genders, I am going to fucking experience both. Aesthetics, gameplay options, and voice acting all go into consideration (Jennifer Hale beats Mark Meer at the emotion, but Mark Meer beats her at the douchebag lines).

In short: If I am going to play a game for hours on end, I better be looking at an arse in which I can appreciate, and not want my ugly ass male space marine.

ServebotFrank

Jul 1, 2010
I wanted to see the game differently. In fact I want to get Persona 3 Portable just so I can play as a girl.(Different social links, better music, if I wanted to play as a guy I would play FES)

TheSinnersHalo

Jan 6, 2011
I have a theory...

Female characters that possess certain aesthetics and attitudes that the player sees as desirable could be the basic framework of what the respective male desires for himself. For example: the bad girl, ditzy cheerleader, punk rawker, super model, gothic, or tough girl could represent variants of what they might never otherwise experience for themselves romantically, biologically, etc...

...or it could be just for fun.

There are many varied reasons, I suppose, but when you asked simply why someone would choose to game the way they do (and making it perfectly clear that answers based on nothing more than preference will suffice) and they go hard on the defensive or answering the question with a question instead of answering the initial question on its own terms, one can suspect that some people's reasons go deeper than others. I'm not gonna lie: that's kinda creepy :p

I myself have played as both and have no real preference, but I have some questions for all those people out there who focus on the character's backside that they claim to stare at throughout the game: Did you notice all the stuff going on AROUND your character's backside, or do you just run into a lot of walls all the time?

Good question, Chairman Miaow.

sarethed

Oct 1, 2010
I tend to play as a guy, even though I'm female, because idiots tend to think I'm a guy playing as a girl if I do play as a girl.

niege

Aug 16, 2009
Okay in my defence i play the gender that suites the ideal of me
In WOW my first character was a female human mage...Why ? because the human male looked like a 3D square with some hair a nose and eyes on to it and biceps the size of my legs (and i got fat legs)
second char i rolled was a female draenei shaman be the same reason
third char troll male warrior because the trolls don't look like rambo and the incredible hulk had a baby
In Mass Effect i decided just by the voice acting first game Femshep the second Maleshep.
I remember why i choose being a female by a second reason and that is for how more much awesome wouldn't it be if a female killed a badass that killed hundreds of men.