Guys That Play Girls In Games. Why?

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
I always play both sexes in RPGs so it doesn't bother me

Oh during the extremely short time i played WOW i played a girl because the guys looked like pure shit vomited up onto my computer screen

Fetzenfisch

Sep 11, 2009
Male characters often just look like over-pumped musclemountains. And i hate that look. (famous example Wow's draenai, i'd neverever play a male one) While female characters look perhaps idealized (like nearly all game characters) but at least more ore less realistic proportioned (except the few that should constantly have balance issues due to way too extreme boobage)

RastaBadger

Jun 5, 2010
Sometimes playing as a girl just seems like the better option. For example when I played Mass Effect I chose a female Shepard as it just felt like the better choice. However in Dragon Age a male Dwarf seemed like the right choice. You just kinda get a gut feeling on when something will work better as a different gender.

Spark Ignition

Sep 29, 2010
RatRace123 said:
Why not, I can be an overweight plumber, a blue hedgehog and a pink ball that sucks things up, why can't I be a woman?

When I do play as a chick it's mostly in RPGs and it's mostly to experience things in a new perspective, plus some games (Like Dragon Age) actually flow better as a female character, IMO.
Yeah DA was kinda dull as a male human. My most interesting experience in that game was as a female casteless dwarf, make of that what you will. Oh the fun of beating up anyone who made racist, sexist, sizeist or elitist remarks to me....

Skullpanda

Jun 12, 2009
Boredom for me, mostly. I get tired of playing the male character all the time. That, and if there are preconceived characters (set storyline), I like to see the differences. That's really all there is to it.

Spark Ignition

Sep 29, 2010
hehe I just remembered Gabe Newells statement about Left 4 Dead, that he always plays Zoey so that male players are more likely to look out for him.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
Chairman Miaow said:
None of those games are about story or immersion though....
Dragon Age is, and I don't find the immersion to be broken when I play as a woman. I get wrapped up in the story and in trying to understand the psyche of the character I play as, rather than try to project myself on to her.
Which would be difficult because I'm not female, or an elf.

PayneTrayne

Filled with ReLRRgious fervor.
Dec 17, 2009
A few reasons for different games:

One: Fighting games: Girl characters are often faster and have easier to learn combos. I prefer that because I suck at games so I'd prefer to pull of ten low damage hits as compared to one big one.
Two: PvP and Matt Wiggins logic for RPGs (though I rarely play females). If I'm lookin' at an ass all day, might as well be a good one.
Three: Halo series, the girl's dying noise makes me laugh.

Feb 13, 2008
Lucane said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Very rarely see women play as men when they have the choice though...
Maybe it's do to the fact so many games force you to be a guy (less often a lady) so they've had plenty of chances to play as men already while an offer to appear more like themselves or at least of the same gender leads them to pick as such.
I do know that the few ladies I know that have played men are quite shocked by the rough camaraderie that we have. How come you're so shit at this?

gl1koz3

May 24, 2010
I usually play just to see the opposite perspective to improve my own. But it's always an afterthought after playing the usual way... and I do it only if there is some value to the game. Otherwise I don't bother.

Burck

Aug 9, 2009
Although I typically play through a game as a male first, I occassionally enjoy playing as a female character to help myself disconnect from my character and define my character not by some idealized version of myself, but by whatever I want to. However, I never play as a female character on my initial play-through.

A couple of years ago, this was the only way I could convince myself to do a "dark side" run of Knights of the Old Republic. Every other time, I couldn't bear to make a decision that I didn't approve of by my own morals.

Recently, I used a female character to briefly disconnect myself, and then forge a new personality (for the sake of role playing).

For me, switching genders in a game allows me to stop worrying about keeping my in-game actions consistent with what I would actually do.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
Spark Ignition said:
Yeah DA was kinda dull as a male human. My most interesting experience in that game was as a female casteless dwarf, make of that what you will. Oh the fun of beating up anyone who made racist, sexist, sizeist or elitist remarks to me....
Female City Elf, but I basically do the same thing.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Gameplay differences (though quite frankly those are few and far between if you get to PICK the character's gender). This is making me wish we had more female protagonists in gaming that aren't overly sexualized, chaste bimbos

George Mooney

Apr 3, 2010
I'm confused about all these replies saying "If you're gonna stare at the back of someone for an entire game, might as well be some hot girls ass". Who the hell stares at the back of their character?

I suppose it really depends on the game. In a game like AC Brotherhood I spend a lot of time looking at or near Ezio (and he's bad ass), but in other 3rd person games, for instance Tomb Raider, Uncharted most of the game is spent staring at the centre of the screen, or scanning the environment for the next ledge to hop onto.

What the argument doesn't solve is why guys play girls in first person games. Not that it really matters because you'll never see yourself, but I always find it rather odd playing with my friends when they're playing girl characters with huge boobs and tight asses. Am I supposed to be playing the game or wanking?

I still like playing games like Portal or Mirror's Edge. Even though you know you're a girl, it doesn't really affect anything (especially in Portal, since GlaDOS doesn't try to have a girly talk with you, thank god). Past that there is the huffing puffing noises of Faith in Mirror's Edge, but that's on the same level as listening to a guy shout "HUP!" every time you jump.

Ranchcroutons

Sep 12, 2010
Typically I will create a male character in order increase my immersion into the plot. Unfortunately in games like Fallout 3 the male characters are all so hideous I couldn't imagine staring at them for 50+ hours so sometimes ill go for a female character who looks slightly less awful.

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
Chairman Miaow said:
I was just trying to think of a reason why guys so often seem to play women in video games.
My brother plays almost exclusively female characters, and I know he isn't alone. I honestly can't think of single good reason to, for me, all it would do is spoil the immersion as I'm NOT a girl. So, anyone who does play as a woman in games, why? Feel free to speculate even if you don't play a woman, but please try not to just descend into "COz ThEy ARe PerVS LoL!".

TLDR: Why do men play as women?
OK

IF, i´m playing a videogame is to have fun, ergo, i dont really take the gender thing serious while choosing my Avatar

with this scene placed, imagine i get out of work, where i have being among guys almost all day, i´m tired, i want to play, and i get online to my favourite MMO, (or whatever other game that lets you choose the gender you are playing without it affecting the actual outcome, just a cosmetic effect to be clear not like fighting games)

what i want is to relax, waste some time and enjoy my self, now, after being among males all day, do i want to spend the next 5 hours looking at the clearly defined ass and muscular back of a chunk of meat being a male avatar (which easily describes all male avatars in several games) or do i want to look at something that apeals to me aestetically as well as phisically and in the gender i find most appealing??

of course i want to look at a girls ass, its not a matter of being lonely, i just want to have fun and not have to stare at some guys interpretation of what a man should look like, but at what i find appealing and stimulating!.