Hackers Deface The Wrong Site

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Hackers Deface The Wrong Site

One of Anonymous' first targets in its war on Japanese copyright law is ... a water management office.

As part of a campaign against Japan's recently announced "Personal Illegal Downloads Punishment Act" - which, among other things, outlaws the circumvention of copy protection on DVDs and Blu Ray discs - a group claiming to be Anonymous has hacked into and defaced a number of websites loosely connected to the law. One of the websites - which was changed to feature a declaration of intent from the hackers as well as the group's traditional "we are legion" slogan - actually belonged to the Kasumigaura river management office, a government body in the Kanto reigion that deals primarily with flood control and water management.

"We are not about to see Japan turn into what America has become," read the site, followed by a few bars of the pirate song from kid's TV show, LazyTown.

It's believed the hackers mistook the site for that of the Kasumigaseki, which is actually a region in central Tokyo that contains a ton of government offices. "Kasumigaseki" is also used as a euphemism for those same offices.

As is usual with these kinds of attacks, the site was restored fairly quickly, but the mistake has caused much mirth amongst Japanese image board users, most of which are asking what it is exactly that Anonymous has against the nation's rivers and lakes.

Source: The Asahi Shimbun [http://ajw.asahi.com/article/behind_news/social_affairs/AJ201206270047]

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
How unfortunate a mistake :p

A shame they didn't post the text in Japanese though; I figured they would have some sort of Japanese person supporting them.

RaNDM G

Apr 28, 2009
Grey Carter said:
As is usual with these kinds of attacks, the site was restored fairly quickly, but the mistake has caused much mirth amongst Japanese image board users, most of which are asking what it is exactly that Anonymous has against the nation's rivers and lakes.
Clearly, the Japanese have never played Oregon Trail.

Conn1496

Apr 21, 2011
I think someone in anonymous didn't get the memo that this was online piracy.
Water is not always linked to pirates, you crazy, crazy people. =P

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Oh Anon, you so silly.

When I read "Kanto" I immediately thought "What? That is a region in Pokemon, not a real place!" but then my brain kicked in and I told myself how much of an idiot I am for thinking that =|

Tsaba

reconnoiter
Oct 6, 2009
sooo.... the element of surprise is lost. Is this the prequel to the actual hack?

Dr_Fred

Entitled person (until Monday)
Sep 2, 2010
How can one manage to fail at impersonating anonymous ? Not wanting to start that old debate again, but isn't their slogan supposed to be "We are legion." - as in the famous quote - instead of "We are a legion" - as in : never seen that before ?

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
My immediate guess would be that the person writing that was Japanese (hence the mistake) and acting as part of an overall raid from a number of countries. English is pretty much the universal language of business, and that most understood internationally, as an international statement it makes sense to be using English even for those within Japan.

That said my immediate guess here is that during the raid the people doing it were hitting every site they could breach the security on to make a statement. Done correctly this typically isn't about JUST hitting the responsible sites, but by making a point with as much collateral damage as possible. You see/hear Anonymous everywhere which is part of the point, even if you think your not involved, your involved, if you didn't know about the issue, you now know about it because it's why you got hacked (and if you don't want to face the collateral damage you had best do what Anonymous tells you). It's called "Cyberterrorism" for a reason.

While funny, I'd imagine with some digging you'll find a lot of other seemingly unaffiliated sites were proabably also hit.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
You either die a hero, or you live long enough to shit yourself in public and get laughed at.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
And this neatly showcases the actual smarts of the script-kiddy movement. Somewhere between zero and fuck all.

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
ResonanceSD said:
And this neatly showcases the actual smarts of the script-kiddy movement. Somewhere between zero and fuck all.
Exactly, and why we can't have groups like Anonymous. They really don't accomplish anything beyond Internet graffiti and occasionally causing traffic stops on servers.

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
So....these are the people who everyone thought was going to "shut off the internet" and can "break into your life and ruin it in no time". The hero-worship of Anon can be a bit much at times, hopefully this takes the wind out of their sails a little bit

mrm5561

Apr 27, 2010
please anonymous just go back to fighting with the westboro baptist church. at least then you had the moral high ground and appeared to be the smart ones