Hackers Hack Themselves a Fancy New BMW

Lancer873

Oct 10, 2009
This is why you hire a white hat (hired hacker that attempts to hack into something to identify security holes) when you're programming something as important as a car's ignition... I realize that technology like this may be new to some companies but if there's an exploit it will be found and it will be abused until that exploit is fixed.

FantomOmega

Jun 14, 2012
Great, just great! so Skynet can use my CAR to kill me?!

Lamest Robot Apocalyptic death EVER!!

rapidoud

Feb 1, 2008
RvLeshrac said:
BehattedWanderer said:
HA! Oh, the penalty for our hubris, to think that advances make things better. And they do, in fairness, but they also make things better for thieves. Sucks to be BMW now, though. Word's out, this doesn't end well for them.
This advance has made absolutely *NOTHING* better.

An electronic ignition system is even less reliable than a mechanical ignition system. The real question is how long it will take them to decode the algorithm BMW uses to generate IDs, at which point they won't even need to break the window - they'll just be able to unlock the doors, turn off the alarm, and drive away.
The bottleneck already is finding anyone driving one, which is how criminals have operated before (so they know their targets security) in relation to car thefts.

Although the fact that 'gone in 60 seconds' is almost a reality is kind of terrifying.

iseko

Dec 4, 2008
This is not really new to me. I've seen a documentary on car thieves in france. There was this guy who had a custom made device. Cost him 10K euro's. Basically it had the software installed on it to 'crack' any bmw's/mercedes'/audi/porsche/... on board computer (of the last generation that came out, it's useless for the new generations). He himself knew a lot about the security systems ofcourse.

And they already had a device that could remotely unlock BMW's. BMW's security isn't "shit", it's just the same as with computer games. No matter how hard you secure it. There will always be a way around it. And only one guy needs to crack it. Not every single car thief, just one is enough. They just sell the technique for lots of cash.

The best way to NOT have your car stolen is just not buy BMW. I drive a opel corsa that looks like this only white.
http://www.auto-types.com/images/opel/Opel_Corsa_2fu.jpg

Ain't nobody gonna steal that shit. It doesn't even have air conditioning. The only thing this car has is a 'decent' engine (90 hp, for a car this light it's enough).

captcha: heated debate

svenjl

Mar 16, 2011
Sure this is for real? Looks pretty convenient. Why didn't they smash the cameras? I suppose they couldn't resist the idea of being on film. Also, and lastly, the car seemed to be more pushed away than driven away. No?

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
Impressive, I am reminded of the demotivational poster mocking those stupid anti-piracy ads.

"You wouldn't download a car!"

No, but apparently I can download the key...

Heinrich843

Apr 1, 2009
VoidWanderer said:
Impressive, I am reminded of the demotivational poster mocking those stupid anti-piracy ads.

"You wouldn't download a car!"

No, but apparently I can download the key...
YES! Someone posted something similar, but this is the best.

Ralen-Sharr

Feb 12, 2010
a VERY simple fix for this is to make the car require 30 minutes to learn a new fob if there is not an already programmed fob present (one that the owner has)

y'know, kinda like how the US automakers do it

the worst part is that normally this kind of theft deterrent is VERY difficult to defeat, considering that a mechanical theft deterrent (key) is pretty easy to get around, and half the aftermarket car alarm/theft deterrent systems actually make cars easier to steal (who'd a though?)

some late model theft deterrents use a combination of a mechanical key and transponder setup that's quite good, and ends up with the benefits of both

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
"A recent model of an expensive BMW sedan has been stolen way more than the average sports car in the UK"

BMW sells more 3 series cars, usually base models, than Ford sells Mondeos in the UK.

They aren't a rare car, there is at least one on every street - they are way more common than other sports cars so its an ideal target for thieves to target.

An Ceannaire

Mar 5, 2012
Vie said:
"A recent model of an expensive BMW sedan has been stolen way more than the average sports car in the UK"

BMW sells more 3 series cars, usually base models, than Ford sells Mondeos in the UK.

They aren't a rare car, there is at least one on every street - they are way more common than other sports cars so its an ideal target for thieves to target.
But the car that was stolen wasn't a 3 series - its an extremely rare 1 series M coupe, only a handful of which were sold in the UK.

idarkphoenixi

May 2, 2011
jdogtwodolla said:
OOH! I wanna make a pun too!

I guess the price for that model was a... STEAL!

Yeah? that was good, right?
Was it good?

*puts on sunglasses*

Kind of...

OT: Remote control houses next, you just know it.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
All the comments ITT referring to the hilarious 'You wouldn't DOWNLOAD A CAR' commercial are much appreciated.

willsham45

Apr 14, 2009
Well that is what you get when you add fancy computers to your cars, you get hackers in it for "the fun of the challenge" what is wrong with just an engine with wheels attacked to some sort of seat and of couse that state of the art padlock thing that holds the door shut