Hackers Reveal Sony and Marvel Almost Agreed to Share Spider-Man

RoonMian

Mar 5, 2011
Well, maybe an unpopular opinion but Spider-Man's part in "Civil War" was painfully stupid...

Tony Stark: "Don't worry all you superheroes, the government will totally protect your secret identities and to prove that to you, here is Spider-Man's secret identity."
Spider-Man: "Hi, I'm Peter Parker"
Everyone remotely knowing Peter Parker: Instantly gets targeted by villains.

I'm kinda glad that this bullshit is gonna stay out of the MCU.

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 23, 2013
I'm glad it fell through, MCU doesn't need Spider-man. Marvel's got loads of heroes they can use and a lot going on already. We're finally getting Black Panther, Ant-man, Dr. Strange, and Ms. Marvel. I don't need another goddamn Spider-man movie.

ryukage_sama

Mar 12, 2009
Unfortunately for fans, the talks between the two studios "broke down," and Sony returned to it's still-nebulous plans for an in-house Spider-Man Universe, which reportedly now includes the possibility of an animated comedy feature from the makers of The Lego Movie.
An animated feature?! That's the best news from Sony yet. That could work really well. Hopefully they would give it some unique appeal to set it apart from the Disney's animated series, but Spider-Man's sense of humor translates very well to animation.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
P-89 Scorpion said:
Kajin said:
Yup. That's disappointing. Once again, Sony continues to squander money and time sitting on the rights to something it can't make money on.
Every Spiderman film Sony has made has made them hundreds of millions of dollars Bob saying otherwise doesn't make it true.
Sony is a company in some desperate financial straits right now and between the budget for the film itself and the marketing budget, they didn't even make $300 million in total from Amazing Spider-Man 2. In a world where Marvel is making movies that cost half as much and make anywhere from as much money to more than twice that, not only are they underperforming, but if Sony were to strike a deal with Marvel to share the rights, they'd have a lot less risk, much lower budgets, much better box office performance, and a cut of any Avengers movie Spidey appeared in. To say that the way they're doing things isn't working is absolutely true, whether they make a profit or not.

EssThree

Oct 6, 2013
Why Sony, why?! Nothing you have planned excites me anywhere near as much, and I'm sure you'd have made oodles more money out of the cross promotion!

Guess stuff like this is why they're going down the financial drain.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
While Spidey was a part to Civil War comic and would have been nice to have seen him in the movie. He is not as important as Sony think he is to the story. So im guessing it came down to money and Marvel/Disney arent desperate to have Spidey in the movie. Where as having Spidey in that movie (or other marvel movies) would benefit Sony more and their ongoing Spidey universe.

Plus what Spidey would it be? Would Marvel get to make their own Spiderman for the movie or would they be forced to use Sonys Spiderman? I wonder if that was an issue also.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Tumedus said:
blackrave said:
Guys, guys, guys.... guys.
I've came up with solution
One word: cloning
Yeah, yeah, boo'n'shit, but calm down and hear me out.

I doubt Sony own rights to Scarlet Spider
Make him appear in Civil War movie in place of Spider Man.
Basically continue timeline as if OneMoreDay never happened.
Different costume and different name, while everything else remains quite close.
To piss off Sony even further they could include cameo from Tobey Maguire and Kirsten Dunst as a married couple with a child or two
No names, just a random citizens :D
Actually, chances are that Sony does own the rights to Scarlet Spider. While we don't know the specific details (unless the hackers have it on file somewhere), we do know in the general sense that these picture deals include the rights to all related characters and villains. And being the clone of Parker, he is most definitely a related character.

The thing we don't know is whether their specific deal has enough loophole to get a Scarlet Witch/Quicksilver situation (both studios have rights) or if its more like the Silver Surfer scenario (locked to FF and Marvel Studios cannot use). However, I'd be inclined to think that he is locked into the Sony deal since his power set and origins are inextricably tied to the Spider-Man character, his introduction preceded their acquisition of the property, and he hadn't any appearances (to my knowledge) in other comics before then.
We really don't know do we?
My assumption was based on the fact that no Spider Man movie featured Scarlet Spider
And most probably won't, unless Sony decides to give him different origin story.
But then again I don't have contract on my hands to know for sure.

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
Vivi22 said:
Sony is a company in some desperate financial straits right now and between the budget for the film itself and the marketing budget, they didn't even make $300 million in total from Amazing Spider-Man 2. In a world where Marvel is making movies that cost half as much and make anywhere from as much money to more than twice that, not only are they underperforming, but if Sony were to strike a deal with Marvel to share the rights, they'd have a lot less risk, much lower budgets, much better box office performance, and a cut of any Avengers movie Spidey appeared in. To say that the way they're doing things isn't working is absolutely true, whether they make a profit or not.
That is what I don't understand as well, since the MCU movies have been proven to cost less and make more money and with the trouble Sony is in I am surprised they didn't leap at that chance. I think they are too attached to trying to make Spider-Man into an Avenger's style franchise because Marvel could do it with their "B-Team".

I really don't think Sony even made that much money with ASM2 just because there are a lot of people that need money and if all their are getting are the profits from the movie itself that is a lot of ground to cover. If the rumors are true the movie itself cost between $200 and $250 million to make plus an additional $100 to $150 million for advertising. The rule of thumb is that you need twice of those two totals combined to start seeing a profit. It used to be lower, but from what I have been told theaters are getting a larger opening week cut then before because of the amount of theaters that couldn't stay open otherwise and internal theaters might have a different payment scheme as well. Not have the merchandising rights I think are hurting their bottom line. What I am hoping with the next ASM movie is that Sony will have learned their lesson (I highly doubt it) and let the director's do their thing for it sounds like Sony has been meddling in every Spider-Man movie since Spider-Man 3.

SmugFrog

Ribbit
Sep 4, 2008
MovieBob said:
Unfortunately for fans, the talks between the two studios "broke down,"
Why do I imagine it went down like 2 kids arguing:

"Captain America could so whoop Spiderman!"
"Nuh-uh!"
"COULD SO!"
"FINE! I'm taking my Spiderman and going home!"

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
SmugFrog said:
MovieBob said:
Unfortunately for fans, the talks between the two studios "broke down,"
Why do I imagine it went down like 2 kids arguing:

"Captain America could so whoop Spiderman!"
"Nuh-uh!"
"COULD SO!"
"FINE! I'm taking my Spiderman and going home!"
Close, I think its more of Sony going "We want our Spider-Man franchise to be incorporated into the MCU" followed with a "are you nuts? from Marvel"

vid87

May 17, 2010
I honestly still have a hard time believing this, not just because the continuity issues would be insane, (when did he get his powers? Where was he when Loki showed up? Is Osbourne involved and how hasn't Tony heard of him?), but that a deal like this would be, unless something else like this has happened, the most humiliating thing to happen to a major studio in the history of cinema.

Also: "animated comedy from makers of Lego Movie"

....Spider-Ham?!

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
blackrave said:
Guys, guys, guys.... guys.
I've came up with solution
One word: cloning
Yeah, yeah, boo'n'shit, but calm down and hear me out.

I doubt Sony own rights to Scarlet Spider
Make him appear in Civil War movie in place of Spider Man.
Basically continue timeline as if OneMoreDay never happened.
Different costume and different name, while everything else remains quite close.
To piss off Sony even further they could include cameo from Tobey Maguire and Kirsten Dunst as a married couple with a child or two
No names, just a random citizens :D
Probably won't happen...
... But considering my MASSIVE hate for OMD, I would pay good money to see "Peter and Mary Jane" with a kid as background characters in a movie or two.

coheedswicked

Mar 28, 2010
It seems like modern companies have forgotten a very simple foundation of capitalism. If you give the consumer what they want... THEY WILL BUY IT! I don't know who is to blame for the talks breaking down... I assume it was a little of both, but seriously both companies would benefit from the crossover.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Ugh, so close to having a legitimate spider man movie made right. Oh well, some day... some day...

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
vid87 said:
I honestly still have a hard time believing this, not just because the continuity issues would be insane, (when did he get his powers? Where was he when Loki showed up? Is Osbourne involved and how hasn't Tony heard of him?), but that a deal like this would be, unless something else like this has happened, the most humiliating thing to happen to a major studio in the history of cinema.

Also: "animated comedy from makers of Lego Movie"

....Spider-Ham?!
That made me laugh more than I care to admit, especially since it reminded me of that disastrous spidey musical from a few years back.

OT: Honestly, I think the smart move for Disney is simply to wait it out: Sony's repeated failures with Spidey and continuing financial issues will push them into selling the franchise sooner or later. Sony will only get more desperate, which will probably make it easier for Disney to buy back the rights at a later date. In the meantime, Disney is doing just fine and Sony's blunders only make their movies look better by comparison. It's basically free advertising for Marvel, especially since it keeps spidey at the front of pop culture even as the butt of many a joke.

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
I saw Amazing Spider Man and it was meh, but a fine meh. Then I watched the second one... And that's when I started to expect for Sony to just give Spider Man back to Marvel.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
RoonMian said:
Well, maybe an unpopular opinion but Spider-Man's part in "Civil War" was painfully stupid...

Tony Stark: "Don't worry all you superheroes, the government will totally protect your secret identities and to prove that to you, here is Spider-Man's secret identity."

I agree with that statement. There are a lot of dumb-ass moments that popped up during Civil War and Spider-Man going public with his true identity was one of the dumbest.

While I'm glad that we're spared from a 100% faithful adaptation of Civil War for multiple reasons, this is yet another example of Sony wrapping its lips around the double-barreled shotgun of fail and squeezing the trigger. I know that one bit of news is that we may get an animated comedy from the guys behind The Lego Movie and the 21 Jump Street movies, but this project may not see daylight or, if it does, will not guarantee it will succeed given Sony's track record with this IP as of late.

Zetatrain

Sep 8, 2010
Country
United States
RoonMian said:

I always thought that was the popular opinion especially since Spider-man's actions in "Civil War" set the stage for the infamous "One More Day" comic.

RoonMian

Mar 5, 2011
Zetatrain said:
RoonMian said:

I always thought that was the popular opinion especially since Spider-man's actions in "Civil War" set the stage for the infamous "One More Day" comic.
I haven't read one more day, I haven't read that many comics in general because my country isn't that huge on Marvel and DC... I had a shitload of Asterix comics though :D

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
I don't know who I'm mad at more: Sony for botching this deal that would have turned Spider-Man back into the money magnet that exists in their minds, or these hackers who are just stealing their stuff and forcing Sony to make more extreme decisions.