Hacking Statute Could Jail Man for Reading Wife's Email

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
(Facedesk)

Can they even prove he used a program to get that password? If he had it and she gave it to her, then I can see no crime. It is like claiming the person you gave the key to your house is breaking an entrance, IT ISN'T.

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
WTF!? That counts as "Highly trained"!?

Then i should be sent to jail to for a couple of life times...

Benmonkey7

Jun 15, 2010
Wow, that's absurd. And it's in my own home state.

Michigan, you should be ashamed. I thought you were better than this. Hopefully he will be proven innocent and nothing happens.

inFAMOUSCowZ

Jul 12, 2010
wow, this guy better not get convicted, I mean all he did is find his wofes password. He never hacked he simply followed the standard log in process. But what if his wife never logged out, and he saw the email. Would that be hacking too?

profit0004

Dec 27, 2008
Welcome to michigan.

Living here is even worse.... When a major employer left the state they said Michigan is "Industry hostile" since then we have lost more jobs than several states have people.

You can read about us here if you desire =/ -> http://changingsociety.wordpress.com/2009/10/01/a-michigan-job-loss-tsunami/

Honestly I would prefer to not be in the news in this manner.

Impluse_101

Jun 25, 2009
Um...props about finding out your wifes cheating on you.

Sad to see that you might be jailed for it. :/

How sucky is that.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
If the USA will send someone to jail for importing lobster tails in the wrong container, they'll send someone to jail for this. Tough on crime!

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Once again, wrinkley old white men who couldn't work a potato don't know what they hell they're talking about and screwing over regular people.

Like this guy.. this guy right here. Also I doubt this would be used against a woman who found her husband cheating.

LastDarkness

Jul 9, 2010
I hope and pray this actualy does set a new standard for obsurdity.

But dont worry everyone, once im in power one of the first things I plan to do is make lawyers share the fate of their clients and prosecuors have to serve the sentance they put forward if they are found to be wroung.

gurall200

Apr 14, 2009
This is certainly be interesting, though I doubt it will go far, the judge will probably say something to the effect of "hide it better" and throw it out, considering he was doing it to let the child's father know that she was going back to her apparently abusive ex.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Hacking is not a all in one type of crime, you have least 6 levels,
Lowest level

Personal,Non felony crime,fines a max of 50K: any hacking of a persons private data.

Commercial receiving,Non felony crime,max fine of 5K: software or device that have been hacked to get unsubscribed content.

Medium level
Commercial hacking,automatic felony and fines set at a minim of 100kM per item:Any hacking of a business private data.

Governmental hacking,local/city/state/county, automatic felony and fines set at a minim of 1M per item.

High level
Governmental, automatic felony and fines. Any hacking involving persons in high government House, Senate, Judaical, Executive and their aids. Auto felony with life of parole with fines

All armed services and any level of armed service. Automatic felony and fines. (inter person hacking is handled as personal via the military courts)

THo I might be oversimplifying a bit , how about personal is the lowest, commercial(hacking devices) is 2nd to lowest,commercial(personal,records,data,ect) hacking is the highest outside of government/army security levels all of which should carry stiff pentailies. Non security level government stuff passes through the military courts for them to handle it or pass on to civilian courts.

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
Always sad when things come to this. But incidents like these confirm my conviction that marriages should not be recognized under the law, in other words married people should be regarded no differently than single people cohabitating. Yeah I also agree with the above that incidents like these and many others becoming increasingly more common confirm why we need a second amendment.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Leave it to a divorce attourney to exploit a law unecessarily and cause unnecessary pain, sorrow, hatred, and human suffering.

Seriously, fuck divorce attourneys.

SlasherX

Jul 8, 2009
I wish some hackers would show that stupid as shit prosecutor some real cyber-crime.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
I once managed to log into a school computer when our caretaker had left his username on the log-in screen and I guessed the password. Does that make me some sort of uber-hacking superterrorist if I went to Michigan? cool.

On topic the man should obviously not be convicted of terrorism with a five year sentence for hacking his wifes email address, especially since it was a domestic dispute. I'm guessing its the vagueness of the law currently in place that has given merit to this rediculous accusation, and hopefully now that it has been highlighted as a badly worded and thought-out law it will be rectified. Well it would in a sane world. Unfortunately I don't think we live in a sane world

DSK-

May 13, 2010
I think this sums up a few peoples reactions.

I do think that the prosecutor is reading a bit too much into that particular law and not looking into the reasons as to why the man did what he did - especially when it comes to children and abusive parents/parent. Having said that, the law doesn't read between the lines in such matters anyway, at least not in my experience.

Ewyx

Dec 3, 2008
Jabberwock xeno said:
Invasion of privacy? yes.
can't complain really if it was on gmail, since google doesn't really care about privacy in the first place

link: http://blogs.computerworld.com/15234/google_ceo_if_you_want_privacy_do_you_have_something_to_hide

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Heart of Darkness said:
...what? So logging in to someone else's email account using a password they keep in arms reach is now equivalent to bypassing security systems, stealing confidential secrets, and general digital espionage?

Michigan, I am sorely disappoint.
Well, you do realise that the most valuable skill for a serious 'hacker' isn't actually computer based?

It's social engineering and confidence trickery.

Why bother to try force your way through a security system when people often write down their passwords or can otherwise be tricked into giving it to you, or even letting you into a secure area if you know how to manipulate people?

It's ironic, but true.

The weakest link in almost all security systems are the people involved.