Hacking Statute Could Jail Man for Reading Wife's Email

Curtisthekiller

Nov 26, 2008
And now we start with the "America sucks" garbage.
Lets face it people, there is stupid everywere reguardless if we care to admit it to ourselves or not every country has stupid. America however just likes to share its stupid in the news. Now go away you second flavor of Eagle Land Jerks, i don't like being flavor #1 its salty...
(For those who don't know what 'eagle land' is: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Eagleland )
OT: If you've ever had to teach someone how to use e-mail, than you know what im saying that if this man loses- shit will hit the fan so hard it might get flung to other country's starting a chain reaction of distrust, backstabing with legal issues and world wide facepalming.
And then the unwashed masses will learn of it...
Were is Doom guy and his chaingun when you need it!?
EDIT:
Plurralbles said:
I don't give a damn fr the whole state of Michigan the whole state of michigan the whole state of michigan I dont' give a damn fr the whole state of michigan I"m from OH-HI-O!

:D
.....um.....WHAT?

joshuaayt

Vocal SJW
Nov 15, 2009
AC10 said:
So his actions saved a child from an abusive household?

This is like saving a kid from a burning building then having the apartment manager sue you for vandalism because you broke down the door to the apartment.
Very nice analogy, and it perfectly sums up my opinion of this mess. Yes, he did something wrong- invasions of privacy usually piss me off (Not least because my parents did and stil do read my emails and txts), but surely his intentions and the resultant positive (From the State's point of view; I doubt the mother was too happy) effect should negate that?

It's not like he was planning to sell any of her information to [email protected], after all.

Dr.Fantastic

Aug 27, 2010
Fuck...Just Fuck. This guy did the right thing and gets jailed for it. I just keep losing more and more faith in my species every day.

Double A

Jul 29, 2009
WTF? It's cases like this you just know are gonna fail, and wonder why they even bother taking legal action in the first place.

ShadowsofHope said:

A "highly trained hacker"? Searching Google Mail?

Excuse me America, once again, but your legal system is just fucking shit.
You're excused, we know it too.

Deleted

Jul 25, 2009
The ends justify the means. What he found out through his actions more than cover what he did to get them.

I can't believe even the law will resort to childishly trying to turn the tables. Its like you found someone cheating on the final exam because you looked in their backpack, and instead of them getting in trouble, you did for invading his privacy.

RvLeshrac

This is a Forum Title.
Oct 2, 2008
So none of you have a problem with my opening and reading all of your mail without prior consent, and tapping your phone lines? Excellent!

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
Fearzone said:
Always sad when things come to this. But incidents like these confirm my conviction that marriages should not be recognized under the law, in other words married people should be regarded no differently than single people cohabitating. Yeah I also agree with the above that incidents like these and many others becoming increasingly more common confirm why we need a second amendment.
If you should find yourself in a happy marriage one day you will realize this sentiment is idiotic for a fact. I hope you should be so lucky. That said that would certainly end the whole gay marriage debacle wouldn't it?

Moving along, this whole case is preposterous. She's the sleazebag here, not him. Everything she was doing was in the wrong and she's allowed to put this man on trial. In the fallout universe he would have gotten at least the 50 xp for the hack and some Karma for protecting the kid. Done deal.

RvLeshrac said:
So none of you have a problem with my opening and reading all of your mail without prior consent, and tapping your phone lines? Excellent!
When I commit adultery and child endangerment I'll let you know where I stand as the moral authority. Also, we're not married and my phone calls and e-mail would bore you to tears. Take your straw men elsewhere.

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
Oh yes. Because uncovering the fact it accually did GOOD means its evil?

I hate to goverment. Not with a burning passion. But still pretty angry.

Warped_Ghost

Sep 26, 2009
Its America.....
Stupid legal stuff like this always happens like that ridicules McDonalds case with the hot coffee.

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
If he's a 'highly trained hacker' then I'm apparently a terrorist planning on enriching uranium because I own a shirt with this motto:

Vohn_exel

Residential Idiot
Oct 24, 2008
This poor guy! You find out your used wife is cheating on you with an abusive guy she ALREADY divorced, AND she's bringing along the child from her FIRST husband. This just feels like a Jerry Springer guest. I feel bad for the guy, I mean seriously, isn't he going through enough already?

The_root_of_all_evil said:
All seriousness aside...who came here looking for a hacking statue?
Yeah, you caught me :D

Logic 0

Aug 28, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
All seriousness aside...who came here looking for a hacking statue?
I did , anyway if the man gets sent to jail I should consider writing an article about the government and their love of censorship.

xdom125x

Dec 14, 2010
On the one hand, I feel sorry for him with the whole wife cheating on him, while on the other hand he did violate the law.
I would like the courts to find him not guilty because he didn't do what the law was created to stop. He may have violated the letter of the law but I don't think he violated the spirit of it.

Sidenote: if he is found guilty then this will completely destroy a parents "right" to monitor their child's internet activities which I believe would be AWESOME. Kids should have some privacy.
Jabberwock xeno said:
Hacking? No.

Invasion of privacy? yes.
actually this pretty much sums up my feelings on this.

Kakashi on crack

Aug 5, 2009
Wait, as a married couple, they share things, so technically they shared the computer and with this being completely out of context in the first place, shouldn't he be allowed to apply that logic and say "we shared the computer, so technically I was accessing shared information, NOT personal information."

Geez though, following that logic I could be arrested for checking my little brother's Zangle Account from time to time to make sure he keeps up with his school work...

Here's how I look at it: the guy has plenty of avenues of defense he can ride up on, so he SHOULDN'T be convicted, BUT he did, even though it was completely pointless and obviously a double standard against men, break the law. 5 years? Hell no, that's like the guy who was sentenced to 7 years prison for posting a youtube video of a police officer who harassed him. maybe a couple months, or a fine, sure, as he did break a law no matter how dumb it is, but 5 years is just ridiculous...

by the way, how is using a source of information readily available and in generally plain sight the equivalent of hacking? I was under the impression that hacking involved actually having to break into something...

thedeathscythe

Aug 6, 2010
LastDarkness said:
I hope and pray this actualy does set a new standard for obsurdity.

But dont worry everyone, once im in power one of the first things I plan to do is make lawyers share the fate of their clients and prosecuors have to serve the sentance they put forward if they are found to be wroung.
A lot of lawyers are defense lawyers for clearly guilty people, but they're not trying to prove them innocent, but merely reduce their sentence. Just wanted to say that they aren't nearly as evil as the prosecuting lawyer in this sense...I still hope you get in power and do that though :D

OT: Wow...just wow...the world is a crazy place. A woman can cheat on her husband and he gets in trouble for finding the password barely hidden? Like...I don't even write my passwords down, that's how protective I am. And every site has a different variation of my alphanumeric password which in an of itself is just a jumble of letters and numbers that I made sense of, I even mixed it up with lowercase and uppercase.

Invasion of privacy? Sure, but "highly trained hacker"? Um...

NickCooley

Sep 19, 2009
If anything she should be the one being charged for endangering her child by planning to run away to her former abusive husband with them. If she wants to go back to having the snot kicked out of her fine but she has no right to bring the kid back along for the ride too, bad enough she's dragged them through three husbands. Selfish *****.

SextusMaximus

Nightingale Assassin
May 20, 2009
While it is an invasion of privacy (and obviously not "hacking") - the woman was fucking stupid for pretty much providing evidence of an affair by leaving a password to her emails nearby.

gl1koz3

May 24, 2010
This is just a damn waste of resources. Give the wife a baseball bat and send them home.