Half-Life 2: Episode 3 Countdown Website?

Mar 5, 2011
If they did announce episode 3 I would be very surprised. They have said that they dropped Ep 3 and are going straight to Half - Life 3. Also the announcement would probably be something like sending Game Informer a truck load of potatoes carved with a lambda.

MysticToast

Jul 28, 2010
Genocidicles said:
I thought they'd dropped Episode 3, and were just moving onto a full on Half Life 3?
They'd better. I'm not waiting all this time just to play another short episode.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
How a real Half Life 3 countdown would look:
Years: 99 Months: 99 Days: 99 Hours 99.
Honestly though, it's kind of embarrassing for Valve, it takes them years to release a so-so shooter, while other studios crank them out at a phenomenal rate.

Angry Camel

Mar 21, 2011
Pretty sure it's fake. Personally I'm waiting for news on Source 2. They probably wouldn't release Episode 3 or whatever until they do.

Silver Shadow said:
Wait has anyone done a 'SeemsLegit.jpeg' yet? cos i feel like it has to be posted
Damn I suck with coding

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
BartyMae said:
http://hl2ep3.com/

Have no idea if it's legit.

My reaction: wot
This is a fake. If another half life is ever created, the marketing campaign will be at least as convoluted and brilliant as the potato sack.

The only way this is possibly real is if it is all some extremely elaborate marketing plan. Something like Valve hiring a third party to create this site then Valve can legally demand of themselves that it is removed leading into a massive 6 month long ARG in which they manage to 15 indie games to several million people, etc.

Smeggs

Oct 21, 2008
tippy2k2 said:
So where did you find this? After much research (put Half Life Episode 3 count-down into Google and went to Valve.com), I do not see where this site came from.

Let's say this is real for funsy for one second...am I the only one who just doesn't give a shit anymore? I'm so disheartened by the way that Valve treats their fans that I'm absolutely baffled why people follow this developer like they are the second coming of Jesus and He's brought us smoothies...maybe it's a PC thing?
There was actually a point in time a few weeks ago where I read the name Half-Life somewhere and for a moment was like, "...The hell is Half-Life?" I had honestly forgotten, because there has just been nothing about it outside of the now dying gag of, "Oh, it'll happen just as soon as Half-Life 3 comes out."

So, no, you aren't. Honestly, I can't play the final game unless I go through the four-lol, wait a second-the three previous games again, since Episodes 1 and 2 together only add up to about a regular campaign.

Valve has no good reason for taking this long to pump out the final episode for their series. Great, they had their fun fucking around with a zombie FPS and the Portal series was an amusing side, but to just seemingly allow your Mascot franchise to just sink into oblivion is ridiculous. It would have been acceptable if Valve was, say, pumping out games hand over fist, but they aren't, there's nearly a year or more between each full-fledged game they release. In fact, it would seem that the majority of "Valve-time" is spent making new fucking hats for TF2. Unbelievable. Unacceptable.

Honestly, if it weren't for Steam, I wonder if Valve would even be mentioned as regularly as they are anymore. It used to be that people praised their releases like a deity of the sun, but now?

Storm Dragon

Nov 29, 2011
Tom Milner said:
this is likely to be a rickroll or something
I've checked the html code for the page, and it's only set to display the words "it's here" when the timer runs out.

VladG

Aug 24, 2010
tippy2k2 said:
So where did you find this? After much research (put Half Life Episode 3 count-down into Google and went to Valve.com), I do not see where this site came from.

Let's say this is real for funsy for one second...am I the only one who just doesn't give a shit anymore? I'm so disheartened by the way that Valve treats their fans that I'm absolutely baffled why people follow this developer like they are the second coming of Jesus and He's brought us smoothies...maybe it's a PC thing?
I feel that Valve has in no way treated their fan-base wrongly. They could milk the HL franchise to death if they wanted to, and it would sell tons.

Instead they are hanging back until they are capable of delivering a product true to it's name. That's a sign of great respect for their fan base.

I personally would rather wait longer for a better game than have some half-arsed attempt pushed out in an effort to squeeze money. Given Valve's track record, one can expect a very good game indeed.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
I just want to point out that the domain is registered by Uber. You might remember them, since their head Art guy (Chandana Ekanayake) was the one in this picture:

Smeggs

Oct 21, 2008
Kopikatsu said:
I just want to point out that the domain is registered by Uber. You might remember them, since their head Art guy was the one in this picture:

Anyone who has played the first two knew outright that shirt was fake because the Lambda and 3 were switched around.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Smeggs said:
Anyone who has played the first two knew outright that shirt was fake because the Lambda and 3 were switched around.
I wasn't saying that made it legit. The opposite, actually. I was saying that Uber has a history of trolling Half-Life fans.

Loonyyy

Jul 10, 2009
Obvious troll is obvious. And troll.

Come on, does anyone seriously think that a Half Life 3 announcement made by people who are not Valve is legit? Really, this is a question? Because if you'll fall for that, I've got a bridge I'll sell ya.

Also, I'm God. FEAR ME, AND REAP THE REWARD OF COOKIES. CROSS ME AND DIE.

Also, Gullible is written on your ceiling.

Smeggs

Oct 21, 2008
Kopikatsu said:
Smeggs said:
I wasn't saying that made it legit. The opposite, actually. I was saying that Uber has a history of trolling Half-Life fans.
I wasn't trying to sound like I was insulting you or anything, I was agreeing with you. Uber already fucked with the fans before.

Angry Camel

Mar 21, 2011
Just refreshed the page now, it's a troll dancing to rock music. Nothing to see here folks, move along.

BartyMae

Apr 20, 2012
Angry Camel said:
Just refreshed the page now, it's a troll dancing to rock music. Nothing to see here folks, move along.
Well, that's disappointing...shouldn't this be illegal or something? lol

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
TheKasp said:
This is a fake.

Not registered by Valve - not subtle enough for them - not something Valve did in general. When they are ready to announce stuff (in this case it would be the end of the countdown) they don't reveal anything before that date.
What about the AR games they did for both Portal and Portal 2?

Monster_user

Jan 3, 2010
tippy2k2 said:
For fun, here is a timeline of all the Episode 3 stuff (this is from a wiki so I can't validate it's source...
http://half-life.wikia.com/wiki/Future_of_the_Half-Life_series
I read those as "We will create a Half-Life 3 game", not "We are working hard on Half-Life 3".

Valve are not creating the rumors. They are brainstorming Half-Life 3. They are not working on Half-Life 3, they are trying to figure out what makes Half-Life 3 enjoyable, and a seperate experience from Half-Life 2. They are playing with story elements trying to figure out what would make a good story, and wouldn't create too many plot holes. So they build a level of the game, play it for a week, then throw it in the trash.

They are probably also waiting for the next-gen tech to arrive.

Do you want a cash-in sequel, or do you want a sequel that is better than the original.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
doggie015 said:
I want voice actors that don't sound 10 years older than the last game
Ten years older? Shit, I just hope that most of them are still alive at the rate that Valve is going... [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/99412-Voice-of-Half-Life-2s-Dr-Breen-Dies-Aged-79]

Also, I thought I made it pretty clear in my post earlier but I've had multiple people ask about it so here it is: Yes, I would take a cash-in money grab over waiting for Episode 3 at this point. I want to know what happens so that I can finally just write this company off in my book.