Half-Life 3 Development "Confirmed" By Project Tool Error

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Half-Life 3 Development "Confirmed" By Project Tool Error

An error in Valve's internal User Picker tool has seemingly confirmed that Half-Life 3 is in the works.

Something unusual happened late last night: Valve's "User Picker" project management tool was briefly and for reasons unknown thrown open to the public. Among the things it revealed to those sharp-eyed and fleet-fingered enough to catch it before it disappeared into the ether are the names of the ten "core developers" currently at work on Half-Life 3.

The list includes Adam Foster, who created the Half-Life 2 mod Minerva; sound designer and musician Kelly Bailey; David Speyrer, a supervisor on Half-Life 2 and Half-Life 2: Episode 2; and Half-Life series veterans Jeff Lane and Jim Hughes. Rounding out the team are Jean Rochefort, Karl Whinnie, Sergiy Migdalskiy, Michael Coupland and Ken Banks. A total of 46 Valve employees are listed as being on the overall Half-Life 3 project.

It's not exactly the newest of news; ValveTime noted that the project tracker was previously accessible [http://www.valvetime.net/threads/updated-half-life-3-left-4-dead-3-source-2-much-more-found-on-valve-project-tracker.243580/] back in June and that the existence of Half-Life 3, along with other unannounced projects including Left 4 Dead 3 and Source 2, had already been "confirmed" by that leak. But this new incident does indicate that the project has expanded since then; the headcount on Half-Life 3 at the time of that leak was 42, suggesting that it is really and truly happening.

There's no way to tell if it's legit, but the timing is certainly interesting. Valve recently made a big splash with a filed for a trademark [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escapist-podcast/8176-111-Valve-Annoucements] on Half-Life 3 in Europe.

Sources: CVG [http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=688711]

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
I'm interested, considering that there was the same type of leak a while ago, that this may be intentional. But I suppose we can only guess until something conclusive comes out.

Atleast this shows that Valve hasn't forgotten against poor old Gordon just yet.

Omega500

Dec 2, 2009
Could it be worth chasing the down the voice actors from HL2 and see what they are upto?
Unless HL3 is a new game and not HL2ep3.

and for me its been far to long and i've kinda lost interest.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
I'm in the 'I'll believe it when I see it' boat, but it's pretty unlikely they aren't at least planning it. I highly doubt they would scrap the franchise.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
I wouldn't consider this confirmed at all. For all we know those records could have been sitting around for years in Valve's database. All this proves is that at some point Valve had a small team of people at best spit balling ideas back and forth for HL3.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
KeyMaster45 said:
I wouldn't consider this confirmed at all. For all we know those records could have been sitting around for years in Valve's database. All this proves is that at some point Valve had a small team of people at best spit balling ideas back and forth for HL3.
The key point in this news is that the team listed on the database has increased in size since last time. They wouldn't be adding people to a killed project.

P.S. Thanks

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
I doubt it was an accident, Valve are either vicious trolls playing with our emotions by dangling an impossible carrot in front of our noses or they are relying on the fans to spread the word about the game for some free marketing (as if HL3 needs any at this point).

It's also a bit disappointing. I was hoping that one day it would just show up on Steam with no fanfare, no ARG, no announcements. Just ready to buy. But knowing that it is at least something Valve have on their agenda spoils that a bit, but my monkey brain compels me to read anything about HL3.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
This is like the hunt for Chupacabra, or the Aurora jet, or Keanu Reeve's expressions.

I hope it's really happening, that it's real and that we will finally get to find out what happened to the Borealis (and it won't end on a mother effing cliff hanger like every Half Life game so far except Blue Shift). But the realist in me says this is the new Duke Nukem Forever.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Covarr said:
KeyMaster45 said:
The key point in this news is that the team listed on the database has increased in size since last time. They wouldn't be adding people to a killed project.

P.S. Thanks
Doesn't have to be a dead project. Could just be that they started work on it, and had to set it aside. The new people on the list can be accounted for by people trying to jump start office interest in it again over the years. If Valve's corporate structure really is as free flowing as they say then it's not at all a far stretch of the imagination.

Remaiki

Jan 2, 2013
This hype train, man. It's like that one scene from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Except drawn out to a ridiculous length so that everyone feels drained before the scene's even over.

Kyber

Oct 14, 2009
Oh man, Half-Life 3 confirmed, again. Good too see this is still a monthly thing.
If it comes, yay
If it doesn't, I won't be disappointed.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
I would like a HF3. HF2 was a fun game, though had a shit ending, funny turkey aliens and average gameplay. Thing i love was the world it was set in. Though im not a crazy fan at all, would prefer a Portal 3. The fans go to far, in so much that they think they have been making it for 7 years. lol. Only thing i know is, dont make or force developers to make a new sequel if they didnt intend to. Otherwise your just going to get a shit game. I am expecting HF3 to be different to HF2. Die hard fans arnt.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Next up - the news that tomorrow the sun rises!

Seriously, somebody surprised by this? Anybody? No? Thought so.

Berny Marcus

May 20, 2013
And the search for the mysterious Half-Life 3 continues.

I'm sure we'll find it, just like we'll find Bigfoot and Nessie.