Half-Life 3 Won't Be At E3 2014, Says Valve

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Half-Life 3 Won't Be At E3 2014, Says Valve

Rumors that we might see Half-Life 3 at the next E3 conference are apparently false.

Half-Life 3 has been heavily-anticipated by fans for so long that we're starting to get some serious Duke Nukem Forever vibes from the game. Not because we expect it to be terrible, but because we have no idea if the game will ever actually materialize. We can however say with certainty that it won't be appearing at E3 2014. Valve says so.

I can't confirm all too much since the development is still in early stages, but for now I can confirm that we are going to release on both current and next generation consoles and we will also release the game on our own platform exclusively for PC and Mac. We hope to have the first trailer ready for E3 2014.

That quote appeared on a games blog calling itself "No Shit Shurlock [http://www.noshitshurlock.com/half-life-3-coming-late-2014-to-pc-and-console]," and was attributed to long-time Valve developer John Guthrie. Guthrie's tenure with the company dates back to 1997, so you'd expect that if Half-Life 3 were imminent that Guthrie would know about it. Unfortunately for the blog that published those words, Valve has reviewed the article and claims that the whole thing is "bogus."

Normally we wouldn't report on something like this. The story here is effectively, "little-known blog publishes rumor, rumor is quickly countered by people who might actually know what they're talking about." That's not really enough interesting information to base a proper news story on, and as a result most outlets never reported on the original rumor. It has however, spread through social networking sites and forums, so we may as well help kill this idea before it takes root and riots break out at the next E3 over the lack of Gordon Freeman.

To reiterate: Half-Life 3 may or may not be in development, but there's almost no chance that you'll be playing it soon. We apologize for any bubbles that sentence may have burst.

Source: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/421161/valve-half-life-3-release-date-article-is-bogus/?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-General-RSS]

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
Well, gee, I don't care much for Half-Life myself, but I did consider buying episodes 1 and 2 in the steam sale. But I can empathise with the fans, being a fan of Timesplitters, I'm happy to know something is at least going on with it. At least Timesplitters 3 didn't end on a cliffhanger (so I've heard) Episode 2 did.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Shocking news! There is no news.

erttheking said:
Ok seriously, is ANYONE surprised by this at this point?
Uhh, no. The world continues completely as expected.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Of course it's not gonna be at E3. It's gonna be at a PAX. X3

OT: In all seriousness I'm not surprised that this point, hell I wouldn't even be surprised if they've not even begun development on it yet.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
-2 + 0 - 1 + 4 * 3 (from E3) = ... eh, screw it. If only I could remember the correct usage of Eulers constant...

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Ghonzor said:
Development is still in the early stages? What in the bloody hell has Valve been doing this whole time? They've been talking about Half-Life 3 for years and it's still in early stages. I don't even
Developing Portal, Left 4 Dead, Greenlight, Team Fortress 2 hats, Steam badges and DOTA 2... All while swimming in pools of money and laughing at people that demand HL3 like they actually need it.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
Half-Life 3 won't be at E3? I'll go check... yep, the world is still turning. I guess it'll stop doing so before we get the goddamn game.

And seriously, if they're talking about a mere trailer for E3 2K14, that means the game won't be out until at least 2015, which means there's going to be at least long a gap between Episode 2 and 3 (or Half-Life 3 whatever you call it) as there was between the FIRST Half-Life and episode 2. It just boggles my mind.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
lol, current gen? With the time they take they should develop for some mighty machine 3 generations ahead of us to match the date of release.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
hermes200 said:
Ghonzor said:
Development is still in the early stages? What in the bloody hell has Valve been doing this whole time? They've been talking about Half-Life 3 for years and it's still in early stages. I don't even
Developing Portal, Left 4 Dead, Greenlight, Team Fortress 2 hats, Steam badges and DOTA 2... All while swimming in pools of money and laughing at people that demand HL3 like they actually need it.
Actually all employees at Valve have been taken hostage by the AI they developed to run Steam whilst being systematically replaced with cyborg clones. The only way to save Valve and see Half-Life 3 released is to stop buying stuff on Steam, which as we all know is impossible once you pass the event horizon known as the summer sale.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
CriticalMiss said:
hermes200 said:
Ghonzor said:
Actually all employees at Valve have been taken hostage by the AI they developed to run Steam whilst being systematically replaced with cyborg clones. The only way to save Valve and see Half-Life 3 released is to stop buying stuff on Steam, which as we all know is impossible once you pass the event horizon known as the summer sale.
And here is the catch... Half Life 3 will be available exclusively on Steam (I can even picture an scenario where badges level gets you early access) so, by buying it to save Valve, you are only perpetuating the cycle.

gunningyoudown

Jul 1, 2009
You know... I really am starting to not care.. Your ether going to put it out or not. Valve needs to quit tugging the chain and ether confirm it or tell the fans that they are insane.

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
Honestly, "confirming" the non-appearance of vapor-ware is just trolling, at this point...

I will reiterate a previous idea of mine: if they are concerned about doing the end of the series justice, just have it be a community-driven experience, with several non-canon entries that are then voiced.

Then the fans can judge for themselves what they like. It isn't even like the endgame would have to be that large, considering there would be multiple options anyways.

Certainly preferable to ME3 syndrome coupled with Duke Nukem 3D.

Gameguy20100

Sep 6, 2012
Oh for fuck sake Valve.

Either release the game or cancel it.

I never really cared about your overrated shooter but you've got die hard fans stop trolling them.