Half-Life 3 Won't Be At E3 2014, Says Valve

AgentLampshade

Nov 9, 2009
Ah. I've often heard of this fabled "Half Life 3." The stories surrounding it are vast, varied and often contradictory. Some claim to have seen glimpses of it though never give any evidence and yet some go their whole lives without seeing a trace. Truly a unique beast. The hunt for Half Life 3 continues on...

Earthmonger

Apple Blossoms
Feb 10, 2009
Did I miss something here? Was Episode 3 a thing that happened? Who cares about HL3?! Release HL2 Episode 3!

2clueless

Clueless since 2003
Apr 11, 2012
If we are going for theories, I think Half-Life 3 is in developement. It has been for sometime. But, Valve is going for one of their experiments, just to see how it works. It is called the "No Hype" experiment. At some point in the hopefully near future, Half-Life 3 will be quietly released on Steam to no fanfare what-so-ever. It will just appear and stand on its own merits as people discover and play it.

Should be fun!

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
For them to show Half-Life 3 at E3 would require them to have something to show. I think that alone should've made it obvious this wasn't true.

P.S. Thanks

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
Perhaps after seeing just how good the Black Mesa mod was, Valve has come to expect the fans to create Half Life 3? Actually makes sense the more I think about it.

TelHybrid

May 16, 2009
Half-Life 1 - released in the 2nd millenium (or 1000's)

Half-Life 2 - released in the 3rd millenium (or 2000's)

Half-Life 3 -

irishda

Dec 16, 2010
There are 3 "3"s in the title: Half-Life 3 Won't Be At E3 2014 Says Valve

Where is the third 3? Hidden: 20(14)=20-14=6 6/2(for the start of the year)=3.
Half-life 3 CONFIRMED

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
I don't get the big deal anyway - the second game was really only as famous as it is because it was revolutionary and innovative at the time. People HAVE stopped to consider the fact that the third game will not have the impact...right?

bigfatcarp93

Mar 26, 2012
2clueless said:
If we are going for theories, I think Half-Life 3 is in developement. It has been for sometime. But, Valve is going for one of their experiments, just to see how it works. It is called the "No Hype" experiment. At some point in the hopefully near future, Half-Life 3 will be quietly released on Steam to no fanfare what-so-ever. It will just appear and stand on its own merits as people discover and play it.

Should be fun!
I would love it if this were the case.

NinjaSocks333

Jul 13, 2012
"I can't confirm all too much since the development is still in early stages". How can you be in early stages for 5 years?

mateushac

Apr 4, 2010
Thyunda said:
I don't get the big deal anyway - the second game was really only as famous as it is because it was revolutionary and innovative at the time. People HAVE stopped to consider the fact that the third game will not have the impact...right?
Personally, I got pretty involved in the world they created in Half Life 2. I expect HL3 to come just so I can see what they do with the Portal tie-in and the massive cleffhanger they left us with.

CBanana

Aug 10, 2010
I wonder how long we're going to get these articles before the gaming press gets bored and stops publishing them.

July 26, 2053: Valve Disavows Rumors that Half-Life 3 is Coming Out
August 7, 2113: According to Gaming Article, Every Use of 3 is a Clue that Half-Life 3 Will Come Out
July 5, 2154: Independent Crowd Fund for Half-Life 3 Reaches GDP of Europe and Valve Ignores It
August 2, 2173: Why did the FPS Genre Die Out? and How Come There's no Hype for Any FPS Except Half-Life 3?
January 2, 3333: Half-Life 3 Rumored to Come out March 3 (3/3/3333)
March 2, 3333: Valve says that Project is New Multiplayer Focused Holodeck Game, not Half-Life 3
December, 7 32162: All of Humanity Converted to Immortal Energy Orbs, Video Gaming Dies Out as Result
March 1, 33333: Fans Still Clamor for Half-Life 3, Hoping for March 3rd Announcement

Dr. Crawver

Doesn't know why he has premium
Nov 20, 2009
Another year, another no HL3 at E3. This I think is now a valve tradition. If it even does come out, I bet we will never see it at E3.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
Thyunda said:
Well, if the first game was innovative for its time, and the second game was innovative for its time, what's to keep the third game from, um, disappearing into a black hole of impossible expectations and never actually getting released?

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
I'm not sure this news post will be as effective at quelling the rumor-mill as Earnest Cavalli intended it to be. Maybe a bit more clarification will help.

As such, let's get things straight here, yeah?

The quote supposedly from Mr. Guthrie on the topic of a trailer showing up at E3 was false, as is covered in the news post. It was fabricated by someone in an attempt to troll the community. Everything contained within was written by someone not affiliated with Valve.

The illegitimacy of the comment is all Valve confirmed. Nothing more. Nothing less.

They didn't say Half-Life 3 won't be at E32014. They didn't say it's only in the early stages of development, nor even at what stage (if any) the game is currently in. They didn't say anything except that Mr. Guthrie did not write the statement.

Everything else being claimed is pure conjecture.

In fact, the only thing we have to go one, as far as statements actually made by Valve on the topic of Half-Life 3, is this: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/04/23/gabe-on-ricochet-2-delay-but-he-doesnt-mean-ricochet/

Going by Mr. Newells statements, it appears as though the game has been in active development since the release of Episode 2. Whether that's still the case since the interview is unknown.

Now, as to when or if we'll actually see the final product, who knows? Could be six months off. Could be six years off. If you like the series, be patient. It'll show up. Presumably. Hopefully.

If you don't like the series, then why waste your time commenting on a news item about it?

In the mean time, I'm going back to playing something else. I'm more than happy to play any one of the plethora of game titles out there while patiently waiting for a conclusion to the Half-Life series.

[sub]Assuming one shows up.[/sub]

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
"that we are going to release on both current and next generation consoles"

Hopefully valve wont do that. They should be a standard setter for fps gaming you can't advance jack or create a super compelling experience with 256mb of video ram. Unless it goes super linear with bottle necks to load new areas like every fps this gen. Even more unlikely it would be for ps360 if its destined for a 2014/15 release cause then they will be even more dinosaur tech than they are now.

tldr quote is bs

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
gunningyoudown said:
You know... I really am starting to not care.. Your ether going to put it out or not. Valve needs to quit tugging the chain and ether confirm it or tell the fans that they are insane.
I'm pretty sure they did already. Many times.

As far as I can tell all their doing is not saying anything about HL3 and people are still badgering them, then they say it's not gonna be released any time soon and they get shit for 'stringing people along'.

It's clear they either don't feel like developing it, are spread too thin to significantly progress with it, or are simply waiting for something revolutionary to make it amazing, or are just keeping it under wraps as is quite common in the gaming industry I might add.

L34dP1LL

Mar 6, 2010
Half Life 3 wont be anywhere. At least we dont have to worry about gordon freeman's voice actor dying, AMIRITE? badum tss.