Half-Life 3 Won't Be At E3 2014, Says Valve

Radoh

Bans for the Ban God~
Jun 10, 2010
But Valve said something, so now people will be looking at absolutely everything that Valve does over E3 since
"Why would they say there wouldn't be anything if there wasn't going to be anything? It makes sense that they would have said nothing at all, so as to surprise us."
So then someone's going to do something stupidly complex and find some hidden super double easter egg that alludes to such a release, then the internet will freak out, then Valve will say
"No really guys, there's no announcement"
Then the internet will get angry at Valve for lying twice, and the circle of life continues.

I stand by that when Half Life 3 comes out, Gabe will just offhandedly mention it's coming out in like a week and a half or some stupid short time frame.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
NinjaSocks333 said:
"I can't confirm all too much since the development is still in early stages". How can you be in early stages for 5 years?
Well, they still haven't quite finished writing the story yet...I believe they are still editing page 4. Next year they will start writing page 5 of the story.

After the story is complete, they'll start actually programming the thing.

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
Confirmed: Half Life 3 won't be at E3 2014 because it will already be released by then. It will also be packaged with Full Throttle 2 and Beyond Good and Evil 2. People who pre-order will have it delivered by a unicorn, which they can then keep

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
It would make my day if nobody bought HL3 when it was released. It would be our way of telling Valve that we were interested in the franchise for over a decade but since they stopped caring about it so have we.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
When I hear confirmed news that Valve is at work on a new engine, I'll start believing we might see Half-Life 3.

Until then, Portal may have been trying to tell us something when they said "the cake is a lie".

Orks da best

Oct 12, 2011
Can anyone honesty say that at this half-life 2 port 2 part 3 is not the new Duke Nukem Forever?

also valve being trolls, nothing new here...

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
*throws a bunch of papers behind me for dramatic effect* Fuck it, this game is not worth this kind of wait. I'll buy it used so they get none of the funds when it does come out. This is just getting annoying.

AstaresPanda

Nov 5, 2009
i started playing this like many other when it first came out Half-lIfe 1 1998/99 good times, good years for online gaming on my 33.6k modem. i was 14 ! im now 27 dont know if im happy or sad about that and im still waiting at least we will finally get a trailer somthing to be excited about at E3

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Orks da best said:
also valve being trolls, nothing new here...
So Valve is trolling people because someone completely unaffiliated with them created a fake tweet on a fake site?

Yeah....makes complete sense.

babinro said:
It would make my day if nobody bought HL3 when it was released. It would be our way of telling Valve that we were interested in the franchise for over a decade but since they stopped caring about it so have we.
I've never understood why people ***** about it being "too long" since the last one, and as such claim they no longer care.

Do these same people say, "It's been too long. I don't care anymore." when a developer revives an old franchise? A franchise that may have seen it's last game released fifteen or more years ago?

I doubt it. In fact, I know it's not the case. Just look at how many gamers were beside themselves with excitement when X-COM: Enemy Unknown or Diablo 3 were finally announced.

CardinalPiggles said:
It's clear they either don't feel like developing it, are spread too thin to significantly progress with it, or are simply waiting for something revolutionary to make it amazing, or are just keeping it under wraps as is quite common in the gaming industry I might add.
I'm pretty sure it's one of the latter two. See below.

gunningyoudown said:
You know... I really am starting to not care.. Your ether going to put it out or not. Valve needs to quit tugging the chain and ether confirm it or tell the fans that they are insane.
I posted this above, but it seems most people still don't know about the info I linked. So here it is again:

Vigormortis said:
snipped

In fact, the only thing we have to go one, as far as statements actually made by Valve on the topic of Half-Life 3, is this: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/04/23/gabe-on-ricochet-2-delay-but-he-doesnt-mean-ricochet/

Going by Mr. Newells statements, it appears as though the game has been in active development since the release of Episode 2. Whether that's still the case since the interview is unknown.

Now, as to when or if we'll actually see the final product, who knows? Could be six months off. Could be six years off.

If you like the series, be patient. It'll show up. Presumably. Hopefully.

If you don't like the series, then why waste your time commenting on a news item about it?

In the mean time, I'm going back to playing something else. I'm more than happy to play any one of the plethora of game titles out there while patiently waiting for a conclusion to the Half-Life series.

[sub]Assuming one shows up.[/sub]

So, could they have paused development on the title? Of course. Perhaps they have. But they haven't been completely obscure about the progress of the game.

QUINTIX

May 16, 2008
Never understood the random arithmetic = ë³ meme
obligatory: http://www.gamefront.com/half-life-3-needs-to-shit-or-get-off-the-pot/ by Jim Sterling

IIRC the article (I believe it was in Boot, now Maximum PC) about a guy who could not play Half-Life uno because he was deaf had an age related hearing disease. 3 is known to feature a prominent deaf character, as announced in a meeting in with deaf fans; by the time ë³ comes out he may very well be dead, if he is is not already. That's the cost of having a franchise span decades without any real closure: it can outlive its fans.

In my opinion, valve gives employees way too much latitude when it comes to picking projects to work on. I use to think they had a team the size of the ë² team or larger continuously working on it this whole time. Now I doubt that very much.

edit: somehow my Unicode got parsed strangely; was supposed to be a lambda symbol, not an ë

Overusedname

Emcee: the videogame video guy
Jun 26, 2012
Considering the lack of TF2 anything, or VALVE anything that's happened in the last year, I'm finally beginning to get a bit concerned.

I mean, I don't really hold my breath for Half Life, I never have, I'm not stupid. But how about....anything?

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Valve has already given a clear release date for the next episode on an official site:

Coincident with the Rapture.

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Valve_Time
[/quote]

Machine Man 1992

Jul 4, 2011
I can see the headlines now: "Valve finally announces Half-Life 3 at E3 2164"

This thing has been in development since the invention of the cotton gin!

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
CBanana said:
I wonder how long we're going to get these articles before the gaming press gets bored and stops publishing them.

July 26, 2053: Valve Disavows Rumors that Half-Life 3 is Coming Out
August 7, 2113: According to Gaming Article, Every Use of 3 is a Clue that Half-Life 3 Will Come Out
July 5, 2154: Independent Crowd Fund for Half-Life 3 Reaches GDP of Europe and Valve Ignores It
August 2, 2173: Why did the FPS Genre Die Out? and How Come There's no Hype for Any FPS Except Half-Life 3?
January 2, 3333: Half-Life 3 Rumored to Come out March 3 (3/3/3333)
March 2, 3333: Valve says that Project is New Multiplayer Focused Holodeck Game, not Half-Life 3
December, 7 32162: All of Humanity Converted to Immortal Energy Orbs, Video Gaming Dies Out as Result
March 1, 33333: Fans Still Clamor for Half-Life 3, Hoping for March 3rd Announcement
M.41- Space Marines discover incomplete STC of Half Life 3 on a small asteroid on the outer rim of the Galaxy. Knowledge of its existence is kept from the wider Imperium and it is handed over to the Inquisition. Current whereabouts unknown.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
gunningyoudown said:
You know... I really am starting to not care.. Your ether going to put it out or not. Valve needs to quit tugging the chain and ether confirm it or tell the fans that they are insane.
Regardless of the amusement value of some good old trolling; the "Half-life 3 confirmed" meme in and of itself is an advertiser's wet dream. They're fueling hype by doing nothing more than not outright denying that they might, in a hypothetical future, actually make the game.

Them "tugging the chain" is probably one of the best advertising campaigns I've ever seen, and it's accomplished by nothing more than vaguely mentioning every few months that they can't tell us whether it's even in development.

Smeggs

Oct 21, 2008
NinjaSocks333 said:
"I can't confirm all too much since the development is still in early stages". How can you be in early stages for 5 years?
Because they've been too busy making hats for TF2 and getting fat off of that money they made with Left4Cash-in 2.

Valve is afraid to show up at E3 because there's a 3 in the name.

Honestly, I couldn't care less at this point. It will come out when it comes out, and it will be more of the same, probably disappointing a few who expect great leaps and bounds from Valve. I don't expect something on par with Duke Nukem Forever, but it sure as hell won't be some kind of shining nugget of excellence.

fractal_butterfly

Sep 4, 2010
There are so many good and even great shooters, that were released since the last Half Life Episode. Why still wait for Half-Life 3 / Episode 3? There is so much other stuff to amuse yourselves with.

Cody Marsh

Sep 5, 2010
Yeah, sure. Half-Life was great but.... do we really need a half-life 3? what if it DOES disappoint us? Then itll be our fault for demanding it. Right now im happy with it being so epic that i wouldnt want the 3rd one to ruin it for me just like every other game trying to over doing it from so many demands from greedy fans.