Half-Life 3 Won't Be At E3 2014, Says Valve

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
Vigormortis said:
babinro said:
It would make my day if nobody bought HL3 when it was released. It would be our way of telling Valve that we were interested in the franchise for over a decade but since they stopped caring about it so have we.
I've never understood why people ***** about it being "too long" since the last one, and as such claim they no longer care.

Do these same people say, "It's been too long. I don't care anymore." when a developer revives an old franchise? A franchise that may have seen it's last game released fifteen or more years ago?

I doubt it. In fact, I know it's not the case. Just look at how many gamers were beside themselves with excitement when X-COM: Enemy Unknown or Diablo 3 were finally announced.
Admittedly, I meant my post as more of a joke than any real truth.

The hint of truth comes from the fact that Half-Life is a continuation of a story that left us on a cliffhanger thanks to Episode 2. People wanted to see that story conclude and expected it to do so with the same system requirements.

It's like if Mass Effect 3 took 15 years to come out after Mass Effect 2 and required a completely new console/rig to run.

Games like X-com and Diablo 3 are typically self-contained stories. It's more about wanting more of their gameplay then waiting on the the rest of their story. I could care less about Half-Life's gameplay since you can experience similar mechanics and systems in tons of games out there. What I want from that series is the continuation of that story.

Note: I'm assuming Half-Life 3 will continue on where Episode 2 left off rather than ignore that completely and just start something completely new.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Silentpony said:
CBanana said:
I wonder how long we're going to get these articles before the gaming press gets bored and stops publishing them.

July 26, 2053: Valve Disavows Rumors that Half-Life 3 is Coming Out
August 7, 2113: According to Gaming Article, Every Use of 3 is a Clue that Half-Life 3 Will Come Out
July 5, 2154: Independent Crowd Fund for Half-Life 3 Reaches GDP of Europe and Valve Ignores It
August 2, 2173: Why did the FPS Genre Die Out? and How Come There's no Hype for Any FPS Except Half-Life 3?
January 2, 3333: Half-Life 3 Rumored to Come out March 3 (3/3/3333)
March 2, 3333: Valve says that Project is New Multiplayer Focused Holodeck Game, not Half-Life 3
December, 7 32162: All of Humanity Converted to Immortal Energy Orbs, Video Gaming Dies Out as Result
March 1, 33333: Fans Still Clamor for Half-Life 3, Hoping for March 3rd Announcement
M.41- Space Marines discover incomplete STC of Half Life 3 on a small asteroid on the outer rim of the Galaxy. Knowledge of its existence is kept from the wider Imperium and it is handed over to the Inquisition. Current whereabouts unknown.
That is a good one.

Also entirely plausible.

As of this point apart form the Volume 3 of the Portal 2 soundtrack (which was free) Valve have yet to release anything with the number 3 in the title.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Pyrian said:
Thyunda said:
I don't get the big deal anyway - the second game was really only as famous as it is because it was revolutionary and innovative at the time. People HAVE stopped to consider the fact that the third game will not have the impact...right?
Well, if the first game was innovative for its time, and the second game was innovative for its time, what's to keep the third game from, um, disappearing into a black hole of impossible expectations and never actually getting released?
May DNF give us hope that it'd get released.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
i dont want to see it at the E3, i want to see it on my pc so that i can play it.
i still think they waited for the new engine so they can bring us a very nice looking HL title.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
Earthmonger said:
Did I miss something here? Was Episode 3 a thing that happened? Who cares about HL3?! Release HL2 Episode 3!
When people say HL3, they are referring to HL2 Episode 3 or whatever you want to call it. Some treat it as an abbreviation because it's easier to say HL3 instead of HL2 Episode 3, others assume that because it's been so long in development it isn't just going to be an episode, it's going to be a full-length game. Thus calling it HL3 instead of an episode. So either way chill out, you know what they're talking about so there's no need to be pedantic.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
It´ll be interesting, who releases something new first? Blizzard, Valve, Metallica, Necrophagist or Tool?

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
Overusedname said:
Considering the lack of TF2 anything, or VALVE anything that's happened in the last year, I'm finally beginning to get a bit concerned.

I mean, I don't really hold my breath for Half Life, I never have, I'm not stupid. But how about....anything?
Well they do have a silly business structure that is designed to make the developers as happy as possible which as the same time has the unfortunate downside that they rarely accomplish anything. A company built around: "You can work on whatever you feel like" isn´t exactly an effective way to produce stuff.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
babinro said:
Admittedly, I meant my post as more of a joke than any real truth.

The hint of truth comes from the fact that Half-Life is a continuation of a story that left us on a cliffhanger thanks to Episode 2. People wanted to see that story conclude and expected it to do so with the same system requirements.

It's like if Mass Effect 3 took 15 years to come out after Mass Effect 2 and required a completely new console/rig to run.

Games like X-com and Diablo 3 are typically self-contained stories. It's more about wanting more of their gameplay then waiting on the the rest of their story. I could care less about Half-Life's gameplay since you can experience similar mechanics and systems in tons of games out there. What I want from that series is the continuation of that story.

Note: I'm assuming Half-Life 3 will continue on where Episode 2 left off rather than ignore that completely and just start something completely new.
Oh, I got that the first bit was a joke. And, I wasn't particularly singling you out on the matter. Your post just brought to light something that's been bugging me for some time now. That being: people saying they no longer were interested in a series they supposedly "loved", simply because the next installment isn't arriving fast enough for them.

And while I can appreciate wanting to see a continuation of the story from the cliff-hanger ending in Episode 2, I also realize that not having it immediately doesn't really ruin anything. While I and many others were left wondering where the story would go next, having to wait for a time to get that ending doesn't really detract from story.

Now yes, as a fan of the series I freely admit that the wait thus far has been a tad tedious. It has been years, after all. Yet, I can't bring myself to suddenly "hate" the series, as many here seem to have done, simply because I haven't gotten the story wrap up yet. Even if Episode 2 does end up being the last title in the series (which it won't, but for the sake of discussion), it still won't change how I feel about the series prior to that.

Just as most Mass Effect fans, even after loathing the ending, still profess their love for the series, I'll still enjoy Half-Life for what it was.

That said....would great if Valve would hurrying the hell up and finish Half-Life 3. If only so we can put the "Half-Life 3 confirmed" meme to rest. It's quickly becoming the new "the cake is a lie".

It was funny at first, but now I see it everywhere. Even in comments sections below news stories that have nothing to do with Half-Life, or even gaming.

Earthmonger said:
Did I miss something here? Was Episode 3 a thing that happened? Who cares about HL3?! Release HL2 Episode 3!
Lilani said:
When people say HL3, they are referring to HL2 Episode 3 or whatever you want to call it. Some treat it as an abbreviation because it's easier to say HL3 instead of HL2 Episode 3, others assume that because it's been so long in development it isn't just going to be an episode, it's going to be a full-length game. Thus calling it HL3 instead of an episode. So either way chill out, you know what they're talking about so there's no need to be pedantic.
To be fair, Episode 3 is no longer a thing. Valve said years ago they dropped the episodic game design model and then revealed that the next game will simply be Half-Life 3. No episode moniker added.

PN8

May 14, 2013
Didn't Gabe Newell said that they were working on a new game engine and were "looking for a game to roll it out with." *wink* Half-Life 3 *wink* Just like how Half-Life 2 was the game that showed everyone what Source could do, Half-Life 3 will do the same for the new engine. So until they finish this new engine we won't be seeing Half-Life 3. My guess is that it will either be sometime mid-2014 or failing that summer of 2014.

roguewriter

May 9, 2011
I admit, this whole long delay thing literally has me at a loss. I mean, what's the point? Is Gabe Newell conducting some kind of social experiment to see how long a community can wait for a game before they lose all interest? I mean, if he's waiting for the next generation of consoles (doubtful, since the Half Life series has always dropped for PC first) then why not just come out and say so? Hell, if he waits any longer the voice actors from the game are either going to be so old they won't sound anything like they did in the previous games or they'll be dead. That later is an extreme example, but regardless I genuinely don't get why all the secrecy. What is it Newell is waiting for?

SadisticFire

Oct 1, 2012
I say we should all get together and start another Half Life 3 protest. But it seriously getting kinda annoying how there's been no information on the Half Life 3 release, or if there is it's obviously it's in such a deep ARG that no one is going to take it seriously, and it's going to fade away before Valve can even discover that it was discovered. But yeah, protest. Let's do it riot riot.

Quantum Glass

Mar 19, 2013
roguewriter said:
I admit, this whole long delay thing literally has me at a loss. I mean, what's the point? Is Gabe Newell conducting some kind of social experiment to see how long a community can wait for a game before they lose all interest? I mean, if he's waiting for the next generation of consoles (doubtful, since the Half Life series has always dropped for PC first) then why not just come out and say so? Hell, if he waits any longer the voice actors from the game are either going to be so old they won't sound anything like they did in the previous games or they'll be dead. That later is an extreme example, but regardless I genuinely don't get why all the secrecy. What is it Newell is waiting for?
Maybe Valve is afraid that rushing it would result in a disappointment?

It can't be an easy task--I don't doubt their skill or anything, but designing a full game with an excellent plot and enjoyable gameplay alone is a lot more than most developers can handle--Valve somehow beats the odds and does both with the same materials, pretty much constantly. I'd rather they build a new engine from scratch and keep us waiting for a(nother) decade than pull a Mass Effect. No Half-Life 3 is better than a bad Half-Life 3.

Amir Kondori

Apr 11, 2013
I don't think Valve is going to even work on Half-Life 3 until they have something new and exciting to do. The previous half-life games were real accomplishments in the genre of single player, story driven first person shooters. I think they don't want to put out Half life 2 episode 3, they want to put out a new game that brings something new and exciting to the genre. Of course it may take awhile for them to come up with that.

Carrots_macduff

Jul 13, 2011
"That's not really enough interesting information to base a proper news story on, and as a result most outlets never reported on the original rumor. It has however, spread through social networking sites and forums, so we may as well help kill this idea before it takes root and riots break out"

or youre just exploiting a name that you know will get tons of views

has everyone decided to ignore the statements concerning half life 3 that have actually come from valve? those ones that say they arent making it because they dont want to right now?

just let them make it on their own terms. i cant see valve bending to the whims of the masses and just doing it because of fanboy rage at this point, but if they were to do so, the game might suck.
better for the half life saga to not end at all than for it to end badly.

Upbeat Zombie

Jun 29, 2010
Half Life 2 and its episodes were great games. But I haven't really cared about the possibility of Half Life 3 for years now.

Honestly who is still waiting for that game? Because I'm pretty sure Its dead in the water.

Really I just want them to say it won't happen so we can stop playing this game.

Unsilenced

Oct 19, 2009
Upbeat Zombie said:
Half Life 2 and its episodes were great games. But I haven't really cared about the possibility of Half Life 3 for years now.

Honestly who is still waiting for that game? Because I'm pretty sure Its dead in the water.

Really I just want them to say it won't happen so we can stop playing this game.
Basically my attitude about it at this point, though really I can't feel much sympathy anymore for people who get their hopes up for all these shitty 'rumors.'