Half Life/Portal world question

SaltyOrange

Apr 28, 2011
So I've been thinking about the half life/portal world.
If black mesa is such a serious company compared to aperture science,how can the latter even continue doing business because,seriously,who would buy a turret that says 'hello'.
The only conclusion I could come up with is that they make other,normal stuff for the general public and use that money to build everything in the testing complex in the games.

What do you think,because sometimes to me portal feels like it doesn't belong in the same world as a serious game like half life?

megs1120

Wing Commander
Jul 27, 2009
Aperture Science is a defense contractor for the United States Government, thus, they are kept rolling in dough no matter what garbage they come up with.

Jun 3, 2010
I don't know about you, but i'd want a turret that said "hello" when it turned on. It would startle the hell out of whoever its aimed at

SaltyOrange

Apr 28, 2011
megs1120 said:
Aperture Science is a defense contractor for the United States Government, thus, they are kept rolling in dough no matter what garbage they come up with.
Yeah,I got that,but then why did they go bankrupt in the 80s.

x -- A L P H A prime said:
I don't know about you, but i'd want a turret that said "hello" when it turned on. It would startle the hell out of whoever its aimed at
So would I,but I don't think it would be very useful for the military.

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
SaltyOrange said:
megs1120 said:
Cave Johnson over spent their income

Human_Sacrifice

Aug 11, 2010
Portal technology and fall boots are way more useful to the military than zero-point energy field manipulation.

megs1120

Wing Commander
Jul 27, 2009
SaltyOrange said:
megs1120 said:
Hmm, I dunno, maybe Reagan needed that shower curtain money for MX missiles.

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
A turret that said hello in a uber-cute voice? Why wouldnt anyone buy that? I'd cower em in ghillie, so it'd look like they popped out of my garden bush.. Or better yet, discuise them as my furniture! Mwahahah..

That would actually be quite cool. :eek:

Grabbin Keelz

Jun 3, 2009
Gel that makes you run faster, gel that makes you bounce high, boots that negate falling damage, a device capable of making portable portals. Who wouldn't wanna buy that?

yo mato

Mar 18, 2011
while it is true that black mesa it´s supposed to be a more "serious" company than aperture science, I can´t help thinking that if B. mesa would´ve had the portal tecnology back in the days of half-life 1, I´m pretty sure that the cascade resonance would´ve never happened, and earth would be a much happier place...or so I think.

Pearwood

Mar 24, 2010
SaltyOrange said:
Because they were run by Cave Johnson. Do you think that madman can hold a business together?

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Roofstone said:
A turret that said hello in a uber-cute voice? Why wouldnt anyone buy that? I'd cower em in ghillie, so it'd look like they popped out of my garden bush.. Or better yet, discuise them as my furniture! Mwahahah..

That would actually be quite cool. :eek:
It's a good thing they come in Table then!

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Sapient Pearwood said:
Because they were run by Cave Johnson. Do you think that madman can hold a business together?
Cave Johnson and his incendiary lemons are capable of holding anything together.

Pearwood

Mar 24, 2010
Agayek said:
Sapient Pearwood said:
Cave Johnson and his incendiary lemons are capable of holding anything together.
No I'm fairly sure you meant to say "blowing anything apart" :p

dfcrackhead

Apr 14, 2009
Aperture Science isn't really a functioning company by the time the first game starts, it's basically just a crazy computer doing shit in a run down facility. In Portal 2 there is a developer commentary where they explain how the turrets go from being built and boxed up to being immediately unboxed and used for testing and then destroyed and rebuilt as new turrets. None of it ever makes it out of the facility nor is any of it actually for sale. Maybe back during the Gordon Freeman days they were an actual company, but I'm fairly certain that all of that predates GLadOS by a significant margin, or it all takes place AFTER Portal 1 and they try and reuse/reopen Aperture(the Borealis experiments, etc.), but then the 7 hour war happened and the entire facility just went to hell. Who knows really, aside from VALVe.

EDIT: Also, when GLadOS is running the facility in the Portal games, shes killed everyone in there, so it's not like the company could run with no employees anyway.

Eridani74

Sep 13, 2010
Supplying shower curtains to all branches of the US military except for the navy, and later selling the anti-Heimlich maneuver to the CIA apparently made them some money.

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
artanis_neravar said:
SaltyOrange said:
megs1120 said:
Cave Johnson over spent their income
Not to mention Black Mesa stole a lot of their ideas.