Hall of shame: games that have made you cry

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
I just finished Xenosaga episode 3 (on the ps2), and i cried like a little ***** . Never has a game pushed my emotional buttons so . And it wasn't just my eyes watering OH NO , i was sobing like a newborn fucking baby . I have lost my right to laugh at any man for crying for any reason . The ending to that game and series is easily the most touching and sad thing i have seen , well period. I'm not someone that gets emotional , but as i type this my eyes are red , my nose is leaking and i am extremely satisfied with the ending of the game i just saw .

That however is not the first game to make me feel sad and get watery eyed , but it is the first game to actually make me cry . The only other game that has evoked sadness from me was Lost oddessey and only from the overly sad short stories relating to kaim's life.

So i now hang my head in the hall of shame having cried during a video game . This is one video game ending i will remember for years to come .

So my question to you escapists is : what games have made you sad, teary eyed or cry .

R.i.p Kos-Mos and Jin .

L0dest0ne

Sep 24, 2012
When I finished Hanako's arc at the end of Katawa Shoujo, I also cried like a little *****. I was depressed for that whole weekend.

mohit9206

Oct 13, 2012
silent hill shattered memories ending sequence .. nothing else that i can remember

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Persona 4 got me close. Other than that, nothing that I can remember.
FF7 shocked younger me though.

aguspal

Aug 19, 2012
I cant think of none.

No game has made me cry. For that matter, no movie, series, or anything has made me cry.

I admit there were some close calls here and there, but nope. I cant even think of those right now, lol. But I just know that happended.

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
Too many games have made me cry. But only one has made me sob like a baby. Lost Odyssey. I haven't even completed it yet! But damn. God damn. The writing is just so good. Other than that, there are these ones that made me weep a little:

Metal Gear Solid 3
Metal Gear Solid 4
Silent Hill 2
Kingdom Hearts 2
LA Noire
Red Dead Redemption
The Darkness 1 and 2

One that didn't make me cry but brought a tear to my eye was Fallout 3. There is this one home where you go in, go to the bedroom and there are two skeletons on the bed, showing that they died in eachothers arms. Just damn. I left the house without looting anything, I just couldn't bring myself to take anything.

Edit: Forgot to mention Katawa Shoujo and also Hakuoki: Demon of the Fleeting Blossom which is a visual novel for the PSP.

Batou667

Oct 5, 2011
The first three Professor Layton games.

Yes, yes, here's my man-card.

aguspal said:
No game has made me cry. For that matter, no movie, series, or anything has made me cry.
Not even Up? If you don't cry at least once to that you're not human.

Lur-King

Sep 22, 2012
Batou667 said:

aguspal said:

Call me a robot! In all actuality, it likely is perpetrated from the fact I share no real empathy with anything. Games, Movies, and Books alike have tugged right in the feels before, but never pushed passed "Oh, that is sad." or "Oh, hahaha. Funny joke."

Even Up! as you gave for an example. I wish I could say I had the experience, but I suppose the right [game/film/book] has yet to come along yet. Maybe one day, though. Hopefully. Maybe.

Yokillernick

May 11, 2012
I know some of you might find this weird but I actually got teary eyed during XCOM: Enemy Unknown. It's the part when I visit the Memorial and see the pictures as well as the names of those that died under my command along with the music that make me get teary eyes. I always wonder if there was something I could have done differently. I mean I know for a fact that sending Lt. Brown to charge against 3 Muttons wasn't the soundest tactic but it was a necessary sacrifice.

Other than that I think I might have got teary eyes in Heavy Rain during the end where Ethan has a rope and you know. Also when deciding to pop the drug dealer, cos of his family.

aguspal

Aug 19, 2012
Lur-King said:
Batou667 said:

aguspal said:

Call me a robot! In all actuality, it likely is perpetrated from the fact I share no real empathy with anything. Games, Movies, and Books alike have tugged right in the feels before, but never pushed passed "Oh, that is sad." or "Oh, hahaha. Funny joke."

Even Up! as you gave for an example. I wish I could say I had the experience, but I suppose the right [game/film/book] has yet to come along yet. Maybe one day, though. Hopefully. Maybe.

Well. This user pretty much awnsered for me. Its exactly what I was going to say...

Melon Hunter

Chief Procrastinator
May 18, 2009
The ending to Professor Layton and the Lost Future. The first two games' endings had me melancholy, but damn did the ending to Lost Future cut deep.

Also, the ending to Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time. Yeah. The entire endgame of that took me completely by surprise.

generals3

Mar 25, 2009
I have actually never cried due to a game (nor movie or books for that matter) but MGS3&4 did get me close though. The salute at the Boss's grave was pretty powerful and as was the whole ending with The Big Boss and Snake.

Gergar12_v1legacy

Aug 17, 2012
Padwolf said:
Too many games have made me cry. But only one has made me sob like a baby. Lost Odyssey. I haven't even completed it yet! But damn. God damn. The writing is just so good. Other than that, there are these ones that made me weep a little:

Metal Gear Solid 3
Metal Gear Solid 4
Silent Hill 2
Kingdom Hearts 2
LA Noire
Red Dead Redemption
The Darkness 1 and 2

One that didn't make me cry but brought a tear to my eye was Fallout 3. There is this one home where you go in, go to the bedroom and there are two skeletons on the bed, showing that they died in eachothers arms. Just damn. I left the house without looting anything, I just couldn't bring myself to take anything.

Edit: Forgot to mention Katawa Shoujo and also Hakuoki: Demon of the Fleeting Blossom which is a visual novel for the PSP.
Don't Yahtzee if I were you. Oh, and the only game that made me cry was Sleeping Dogs.

FootloosePhoenix

Dec 23, 2010
inFamous 2's Evil ending, specifically when
you kill Zeke. The game had me bawling from the point where I realized his death would be interactive to about halfway through the credits, but I only pulled myself together then because my mom was laughing at me. >_____>
I felt completely apathetic towards the Good ending however, perhaps because I'd had the damn thing spoiled for me before the game was even officially out. Some people got advanced copies of the game, if I remember correctly, and then proceeded to post the ending all over the Internet. But thank god they didn't spoil the Evil ending, for experiencing it gave me the gift of the first video game to ever make me cry, and as of yet the only.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Half Life 2
Mass Effect 2/3
Heavy Rain
LA Noire
Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
Darkness 1 & 2
Red Dead Redemption
Bioshock 2 ('dat ending...)
Bioshock (again... 'dat ending)

Not an ounce of shame about it though

Gameslayer_93

Jul 17, 2009
first off, I'm not ashamed to admit any of this so not Hall of Shame at all;

OT: The ending of MGS3 and Shadow of the Colossus
and for the record, I don't cry often, not in a "macho" way I just don't often cry

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
None.

Whenever this topic comes up I'm always left wondering whether everyone else here has emotional issues or if I'm just dead inside.

It's strange, because movies, TV shows and sometimes even books can make me tear up at the drop of a hat. Hell, I cried while watching Avatar. But games just cannot do it, no matter how hard they try. They can make me feel sad, shocked or desolate (Yes, HL2: Ep2, I'm looking at you) but cannot seem to induce tears.

Mostly I think it's just because the standard of writing is abysmal. For all the arguments of "games are art and a totally legit storytelling medium now", 90% of them are unwilling or unable to go beyond "save the world by murdering everything that looks at you funny and get the girl if we remember to put one in".

The good ol' uncanny valley effect doesn't help either. It's hard to feel sorry for a dead-eyed puppet.