Halo 3 First Impressions

Katana314

Oct 4, 2007
One thing I am a bit jealous about with Halo is how they're willing to acknowledge their machinima makers. I mean, enough to include them right in the game? It's not even a reference?

That's something Valve has been very resistant to, and quite frankly I'm pissed at them for it. When you ask them about machinima, they seem to reply...

I Do Not Know What You Are Talking About.

ryo02

Oct 8, 2007
Russ Pitts said:
One simply can't argue with logic of this kind. You're actually Donald Rumsfeld aren't you?
yknow it might help if I knew who that guy was ah well nevermind

I do concede that land that hard has gotta be tough on the internal organs but you do have to
take into account the fact he wasnt going straight down and probably aimed to break his fall
with tree branches in the canopy not to mention terminal velocity once you hit that hight is
Irrelavant aswell as being set 500 years in the future when who knows what kind of impact
absorbing kit they managed come up with

and he's supposed to be just plain lucky too but yeah it is fairly unlikely

danimal1384

Sep 18, 2007
as far as the whole surviving impact from 2 km, with all the other inconsistencies and story telling problems, why sit and pick at extreme ends about this one, while it is a big one. overall, just either accept it, or don't play the game. i guess it doesn't really matter.

i can't even think right now, though, cause for some reason i'm watching Failure to Launch. i have no idea why and i'm mad at myself for it. but oh well.

by the way, Rumsfeld is an advisor to the President. and he's a retard. correct me if i'm wrong Russ but i think he's the secretary of defense?

ryo02

Oct 8, 2007
I usually dont question the game I just happened to be reading this topic and thought I might aswell say something

Joe

Jul 7, 2006
danimal1384 said:
by the way, Rumsfeld is an advisor to the President. and he's a retard. correct me if i'm wrong Russ but i think he's the secretary of defense?
Was. Was Secretary of Defense. Now, it's Robert Gates. Jesus Christ, guys, stop playing videogames and read a goddamn newspaper.

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
Normally a perfect placed softball like this I would blast out of the park with something witty but I'm having an off day. Can someone else please pick this one up?

Geoffrey42

Aug 22, 2006
danimal1384 said:
as far as the whole surviving impact from 2 km, with all the other inconsistencies and story telling problems, why sit and pick at extreme ends about this one, while it is a big one. overall, just either accept it, or don't play the game. i guess it doesn't really matter.

i can't even think right now, though, cause for some reason i'm watching Failure to Launch. i have no idea why and i'm mad at myself for it. but oh well.

A. My understanding is that no one is picking at the 2km fall survival as a minus for the game, or the story, just that it represents something infeasible given the situation. Its a tangent, and not one to be used for criticizing the game (which I don't think anyone was doing in the first place.)

B. I'm sorry.

C. Donald Rumsfeld WAS the Secretary of Defense. He is gone.

@ry02: Terminal velocity is entirely relevant. The whole point of it being that given enough space to fall, you reach terminal velocity, and any further acceleration toward impact is balanced out. So if he fell from very high, or really fricking high, it doesn't matter. The result should be the same, assuming he reaches terminal velocity.

The 500 years in the future bit is fine, but the whole point is that the idea of surviving that fall is counter to modern science, and the series provides no logical extension of modern science to account for the miraculous fall. If they had, this would be an entirely different conversation. I cannot prove that they did not come up with some way to keep your liver from liquifying when the body accelerates very quickly between now and 500 years from now, any more than I can disprove the idea that the world is flat, or that God is real. The lack of proof against something is NOT equivalent to the presence of evidence FOR something. The only evidence for some non-internal-organ-liquification device lies in the survival of the fall itself, and is supported nowhere else. (The impact gel, and shield bubble adjustment arguments do very little to sway me from the idea that stopping very quickly results in death.)

Alex Karls

Aug 27, 2007
Geoffrey42, I know your pain about terminal velocity, but I just want to point out that one can survive a fall from that height, or at terminal velocity. It just isn't very likely.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Alex Karls said:
Geoffrey42, I know your pain about terminal velocity, but I just want to point out that one can survive a fall from that height, or at terminal velocity. It just isn't very likely.
More likely than falling off a cliff, apparently.

ryo02

Oct 8, 2007
I just noticed something at the start of the first mission theres something that looks like
forerunner tech and one side of it is kinda glowing like its hot too close to where the
chief landed to be a coincidence was he riding that thing down from the forerunner ship he was on?

danimal1384

Sep 18, 2007
whatever, its all irrelevant now anyways, cause i'd bet everyone on this thread has now beaten the campaign mode on legendary, got the skulls, and done tons of online multiplayer. i don't even have a 360 and i've beaten it on legendary and have almost 700 achievement points for it unlocked! lets just all admit that despite its inconsistencies and plot issues we idividualy have, that its still a very very fun game to play; and that the gravity hammer is so absurdly awesome it is uncomprehensible.

who needs thor and HIS mjolnir when you've got the Master Chief with HIS Mjolnir armor AND a super hammer?!

error17

Dec 21, 2007
Multiplayer has been used before in many games, its fun in all, but the real master to hail is Valve and Sierra for Counter-Strike and Team Fortress, so I don't agree that Halo 3 it is the best multi-player shooter game, it's Counter-Strike still and will always be, it has since CS 1.6 (I'm sure, but mayby an even earlier CS). But the review is accurate by far, I have to say its mostly true or it changed my mind a bit.

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
dont like CT but hay thats just me nothing bad about it.

ok first of all the falling thing with impact gel.
1 its at a angle
2 hes on somthing that could slow hes decent
3 its the futrure impact gel could be better then
4 sheilds
5 luck. 5 spartins died crash-landing on reach so its all about luck. cortarna said the cheif was lucky.
6 i dont like five so i just put in a 6th

but even that said he must have broken somthing. or everything.

maffro

Aug 8, 2008
I'VE WORKED IT OUT.

After dropping from the main map on sandbox into the underground section it all becomes clear. The chief can survive a fall from any height onto FLAT ground. However when you jump off a small cliff within the game he trips up on the floor and suffers an immediate brain haemmorage. Sad, but true. He has legs of steel but terrible balance compensation, which is why he makes such an effort to stand up straight all the time.

That's science, children. Undisputably.