Halo 4 Pirates Face Perma-Ban

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
gabycms said:
What I wanna know is the game any good? Its probably the same as all the others, just a dead horse being beaten to death running on nostalgia steam. I liked the first Halo (on the PC), i literally could not play the second one, it was just so clunky the damn guns took way to much of your screen.

Side note, how can you people play shooters with controllers? Not technically how, but how can you stand it? All shooters are WAY WAY WAAAY better with a mouse and a keyboard (or specialized keyed peripheral).
Controllers work just fine with shooters, in fact better than fine in some areas they are down right better. Analogue movement is more precise than WASD and the buttons are more conveniently placed than on a standard keyboard.

There is a slight loss in precision aiming but good games make up for that by making shooting about timing rather than shit hot aiming. If you are putting the target in crosshairs rather than the crosshairs on the target then you are doing it right, trying to aim the same as a PC shooter is doing it wrong.

koroem

Jul 12, 2010
FelixG said:
So, where are the folk crying about how rampant Piracy is on the PC again?
No no this is pretty much a PC piracy story. See, a PC was needed to locate, download, and burn/install the pirated console game. So by all accounts all us PC gamers are still the scum of the gaming community. Difference is the consoles players get to avoid the pirate label because they hid behind us. It is implied that PCs are to blame.

zidine100

Mar 19, 2009
so not only do you pirate, one of the consoles main, infact one of the biggest, in house franchises, a game in the series that you know, debatedley (sp?) made the xbox what it is today weeks before its release which is stupid enough in itself by the way, but then you then proceed to take it online.

Were these people even thinking?

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
blackrave said:
That is why I won't spend my money on consoles
Because if I buy something I want to own it, not just rent from some big corporation.
Nobody can ban my PC.
You don't "rent" anything. You buy it, if you break the rules, you get it banned. I am pretty sure you don't rent a driving licence either, but if you break enough rules when driving they can still take it away from you.

You say that you can't have your PC banned, but you can sure as hell have your Steam account banned if you hack/break serious rules and have all of your games stripped from you. Including single player ones. They are not banning console use, they are banning Xbox Live use. The person can quite easily obtain another one, but it will cost them money. They don't even lose the game itself.

rcs619

Mar 26, 2011
zidine100 said:
so not only do you pirate, one of the consoles main, infact one of the biggest, in house franchises, a game in the series that you know, debatedley (sp?) made the xbox what it is today weeks before its release which is stupid enough in itself by the way, but then you then proceed to take it online.

Were these people even thinking?
Honestly, this kind of thing gets more and more common all the time. I am really starting to think that anyone born after, like 1992 is an idiot (Not fellow escapists, of course :D ). People do blatantly illegal things and post them up on facebook, and youtube, and even 4chan all the time now... and then act surprised when they get caught and the hammer gets brought down on them. How much do you want to bet some of those youtube accounts used the *same* email as their xbox live?

People are so obsessed with attention these days, its crazy. It used to be, when you did something against the rules, you kept quiet about it and enjoyed your ill-gotten things in private. Now people go right to the internet and begin shouting "Look at me, look at me, I'm totally awesome because I did something against the rules. I'm so baaaaaad".

But then again, it is fun to watch :p Nothing like seeing a thief bust themselves.

I just don't get the point. There's never been a game that I've wanted bad enough to even think about doing something illegal to obtain it. ...and why Halo? People only play it for the multiplayer, and you can't do that if you're playing it illegally. I mean, I guess there is the single-player, and its epic story of a faceless, nameless, personality-less man/woman/robot shooting aliens in the face. But still.

GoldenShadow

May 13, 2008
J Tyran said:
gabycms said:
What I wanna know is the game any good? Its probably the same as all the others, just a dead horse being beaten to death running on nostalgia steam. I liked the first Halo (on the PC), i literally could not play the second one, it was just so clunky the damn guns took way to much of your screen.

Side note, how can you people play shooters with controllers? Not technically how, but how can you stand it? All shooters are WAY WAY WAAAY better with a mouse and a keyboard (or specialized keyed peripheral).
Controllers work just fine with shooters, in fact better than fine in some areas they are down right better. Analogue movement is more precise than WASD and the buttons are more conveniently placed than on a standard keyboard.

There is a slight loss in precision aiming but good games make up for that by making shooting about timing rather than shit hot aiming. If you are putting the target in crosshairs rather than the crosshairs on the target then you are doing it right, trying to aim the same as a PC shooter is doing it wrong.
For me, WASD and mouse is less to do with precision(which is more than slightly better,as you put it) Its about the freedom to look around naturally, you can turn as fast as you want, you feel like you are can look where ever you want without having to put up with mechanical tank turret spinning that joysticks provide.

For first person perspective, Skyrim for instance, mouselook is the only way to go.

Now for third person, I go with controller. I prefer Assassin's Creed series and Batman Arkham series with a controller.

And as for WASD vs joystick. WASD is more precise. You move the mouse to change your movement vector.

gabycms

Sep 1, 2011
J Tyran said:

Now that just sounds like a totally different game, I must admit that no one is born knowing how to shoot with a mouse (crazy mental picture if you put it out of context), FAR from it. It take loads of practice, a decent mouse, and not being afraid of tinkering with your sensitivity settings on the mouse dashboard as well as in the OS settings.

But lets be honest, console shooters with out auto-aim are unplayable for most people, whether its aim assist or the aim snaps to the closest target when you bring up iron sights, its all on you in a PC shooter, getting the target where you want them and locking on for the head-shot faster then yo can even consciously realize it.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Idiots.

I mean seriously who plays Microsofts signature game online and expects NOT to be banned?

*Sigh* logic and common sense fail some people.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Grenge Di Origin said:
I'd pirate Halo 4 if Microsoft would ban me from just playing Halo 4, just to never have to ever play Halo 4 in my life again.

Captcha: is it plugged in?
No they would ban your Xbox Live, so good look playing any game online with your XBL account ;)

Jack Rascal

May 16, 2011
GoldenShadow said:
For me, WASD and mouse is less to do with precision(which is more than slightly better,as you put it) Its about the freedom to look around naturally, you can turn as fast as you want, you feel like you are can look where ever you want without having to put up with mechanical tank turret spinning that joysticks provide.

For first person perspective, Skyrim for instance, mouselook is the only way to go.
Well, I can look around naturally on my controller too... Most games allow you to select the 'look sensitivity' so you don't have to put up with "mechanical tank turret spinning", which, to be honest, I have never experienced with a controller. Could be just the games I've played.

In Skyrim I play most of the time in first person perspective. My main weapon is a bow (aiming that when I can see my character is just a pain) and most of the time in the open, I run in FP as well (it just bugs me that the character is off centre). I have not experienced any difficulties with it so far. If I move my right analog slowly, I look around slowly; if I move it fast, I look around fast. I find that quite easy for me. But I think Bethesda could have added the option to invert both axis... Damn them...

But I think this is a question of preference.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
So, you pirate Halo 4 then take it online? IMO your account deserves a Darwin Award

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Atmos Duality said:
Baresark said:
getoffmycloud said:
FelixG said:
So, where are the folk crying about how rampant Piracy is on the PC again?
I am pretty certain a game being pirated on console doesn't mean there isn't piracy on PC
It definitely does not mean that. But the issue he is talking about, I think anyway, is when people act like piracy on consoles doesn't exist. Which seems to be the default position with a lot of publishers, developers, and gamers alike.
Piracy is less common on consoles due to the greater amount of effort and risk involved.
You are absolutely correct. It is less common on consoles, but that isn't to say it doesn't happen and is not just as problematic. We are in accordance, Atmos.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Baresark said:
You are absolutely correct. It is less common on consoles, but that isn't to say it doesn't happen and is not just as problematic. We are in accordance, Atmos.
Eh, sometimes I just post followups to points I agree with for the sake of conversation.

I'd say the rates of piracy are heightened on PC compared to consoles, but this simply means there are other retaliatory actions taking place, and these create new problems for legitimate customers.

While all three console giants indulge in retaliatory DRM to some degree, Sony is particularly easy to pick on as an example (Nintendo moreso in the Asian market due to their long war against the R4).

On topic: What blows my mind is how these huge, large profile games keep getting leaked weeks before release. You'd think they would have that shit under lock and key.

Though I suppose all it takes is one digruntled employee or an especially savvy criminal to sneak into a pre-ship warehouse, lift a few discs then parse, image and upload them.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Atmos Duality said:
Baresark said:
Eh, sometimes I just post followups to points I agree with for the sake of conversation.

I'd say the rates of piracy are heightened on PC compared to consoles, but this simply means there are other retaliatory actions taking place, and these create new problems for legitimate customers.

While all three console giants indulge in retaliatory DRM to some degree, Sony is particularly easy to pick on as an example (Nintendo moreso in the Asian market due to their long war against the R4).

On topic: What blows my mind is how these huge, large profile games keep getting leaked weeks before release. You'd think they would have that shit under lock and key.

Though I suppose all it takes is one digruntled employee or an especially savvy criminal to sneak into a pre-ship warehouse, lift a few discs then parse, image and upload them.
The crazy bit is that small titles are hard to find before release. You would figure that the big guys would have that on lockdown, but they suck at that, haha. I always wonder if they are busy pissing off their employees as much as they piss off some consumers.

Winthrop

Apr 7, 2010
Jack Rascal said:
GoldenShadow said:

Well, I can look around naturally on my controller too... Most games allow you to select the 'look sensitivity' so you don't have to put up with "mechanical tank turret spinning", which, to be honest, I have never experienced with a controller. Could be just the games I've played.

In Skyrim I play most of the time in first person perspective. My main weapon is a bow (aiming that when I can see my character is just a pain) and most of the time in the open, I run in FP as well (it just bugs me that the character is off centre). I have not experienced any difficulties with it so far. If I move my right analog slowly, I look around slowly; if I move it fast, I look around fast. I find that quite easy for me. But I think Bethesda could have added the option to invert both axis... Damn them...

But I think this is a question of preference.
I agree with you completely. People rattle on to me about how you cannot play shooters with a controller, but in TF2 if I play sniper with a mouse I miss every shot, but with a controllers i hit about 90% of the time. Also I do pretty well as a heavy with the controller but bomb with mouse/keyboard. I'm not saying mouse/keyboard doesn't work, obviously it does for some, but the most important thing is doing what you are comfortable with. If you are comfortable, you aim better.