Halo 4 Sexism Earns You a Lifetime Ban

StrayDataPoint

Sep 5, 2012
Arnoxthe1 said:

Seriously, what happened to free speech these days? What shocks me the most is everyone's 'meh' attitude about all this.

No offense, but this "free speech" defense is stupid. Free speech protects you from the government, it doesn't force a private company to give you a platform to say things. I mean, sure, you're free to say I should die (for example), but freedom of speech does not mean I _have_to_ let you publish that opinion in my newspaper, or write it on my walls. Important distinction.

LifeMakesMeLOL

May 12, 2012
There are already built in mute and block communications functions on Xbox Live. If you don't like what someone is saying then use them.

This is why I hate when feminists are given power. Why are sexist comments specifically getting such harsh punishment? It's ridiculou?, and I don't doubt there will be double standards (i.e. woman won't get banned for trash talking about men.) If they actually enforce this then people will have to tiptoe over everything they say to avoid bans.

Oh well, guess if I ever get this game I'll stay in party chat or leave the mic unplugged to avoid any disgruntled woman.

StrayDataPoint

Sep 5, 2012
Chemical Alia said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Though now I'm curious as to what the equivalent of "make me a sammich" is.
Just popping in, but I believe the appropriate response to being told by someone in an online gaming session to "make them a sandwich" is "Go fix my fucking car, and don't forget the oil change, you stupid piece of shit."

Usually works, anyway.
Well, I see your point, but it ignores
A) car fixing abilities are considered pretty awesome in our society, sandwich making is considered lame/derogatory
B) there is a long history of women being forced into domestic roles against their wishes. while is true that men also get stuck with stupid assumptions about what they should do, it's not a proportional problem: sure it can force some men (via shame and "are you a man or what") to do chores they really dislike like fixing cars, but it doesn't have the financial consequences forced domestic life has -no job, dependence on husband-

Anyway, it's what I usually retort when I get send for sandwiches too, in games or other media, b/c it's more chill and acceptable then what I'm thinking, which is along the lines of "let me the fuck alone, don't ever talk to me again, can we please pretend we don't know each other, why do i have to live in this stupid-ass world, maybe i won't get to see in my lifetime a world that isn't sexist, oh no, now i feel like crying or killing someone".
Sorry for the rant, the sandwich thing is one of the sexist tropes that gets to me the most, b/c it's so ubiquitous, acceptable even in spaces where other bs doesn't fly.

klovervibe

Nov 30, 2011
erttheking said:
Xan Krieger said:
I think they just killed Halo 4s multiplayer. There'll be nobody left playing within a week.
I honestly feel kind of insulted. I hope that you're joking.
Xan Krieger said:
erttheking said:
Xan Krieger said:
I think they just killed Halo 4s multiplayer. There'll be nobody left playing within a week.
I honestly feel kind of insulted. I hope that you're joking.
I'm not, was thinking back to my past experiences when I played Gears of War 2 online. Sorry I offended you but back then every other word out of the other player's mouths was racist, sexist, or homophobic. It's why I cancelled my xbox live subscription and stick to PC games which seem to (on average) have more polite people.
while I think this is going to be a great thing for our community, it does seem a tad harsh. Banishment is pretty intense, and may have to go on a case-by-case basis.

http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/harassment

This Extra Credits episode on harassment has some pretty good ideas that I think would be a good way to take care of the shit-storm that is FPS multiplayer.

Josh Nath

Nov 2, 2012
I don't like this decision at all. I think it is asinine that players can get banned for using our First Amendment rights. If someone offends you just do what I do. BLOCK COMMUNICATION. Simple as that. You won't hear them in game, receive messages, or anything with them.

That way people don't lose out on playing games online but you also don't have to hear any of their crap. Win-win situation.

I am a guy so I don't know what it's like for a girl but in the past the couple females I knew that played games did exactly what I do and never complained the blocked person never belittle them again.

Grow up, live with the fact some people can' mature, and block them.

Teshi

May 8, 2010
Good for the Halo 4 team, but honestly, I'd say it's too little, too late for XBL in general. I'm not a cringing flower or anything, but I play video games for fun, and that junk just isn't fun, so why pay money to have to put up with it? Even if you have a gender, orientation and ethnicity neutral username and profile, you still get to listen to people being bigots both in general and toward other players, and it kinda kills the experience. So XBL went out the window early on for me, and the console shortly thereafter, since it didn't have many single-player exclusives I cared much about. They've already lost my money, basically...I'm not about to run out and buy a 360 this late in the console cycle, even if I do think what Kiki "Best Name Ever" Wolfkill is saying is nice.

Microsoft's early decision that asshats were their target audience for xbox gaming doesn't seem to have hurt them much financially, alas.

sawyer7as

Sep 5, 2012
Hey as far as the whole "rights" bullshit going on here. Your not playing America: The Game, or Super Bill O' rights Text Adventure, this is THEIR game, and you play it on THEIR (brand) machine and THEIR online network. You agree to whatever whacky EULA or unspoken contract you enter into when you give them your money. If they say you can't say it, don't say it. And if you get banned for being stupid, then tough shit. And if for some reason you can't play Halo 4 without being racist, sexist or whatever you need to reevaluate your social skills.

Sorry for the soap-boxing.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Hammeroj said:
erttheking said:
Hammeroj said:
No, it's nothing like saying that. I'm saying if somebody keeps offending people by, for instance, using the word "*****", you mute him. No, not you, the player. You, the developer, mute him, so other people can't get offended by what the guy has to say. He still gets to play the game, and Xbox live becomes even more boring than it already is - everybody's happy.

This is mindless bandwagoning around what is practically a non-issue on a level of Kotaku, and that's why I'm hostile towards this.
I would think that a woman that went online, spoke up and because of her gender got called a ***** might have her experience for the rest of the match tainted. I don't really see why we should focus on keeping sexist bullies happy, insults like this is against the Xbox Live code of conduct, they shouldn't get off scott free for breaking the rules they agreed to abide by when they made their account.
Mkay. Citing the law (or in this case, the ToS) in a discussion about the justness of the rules in question is something that really makes me not give a shit about anything else you're going to say and not take you seriously, because it both misses the point completely and isn't a particularly thoughtful position.

I didn't say we should focus on keeping sexist bullies happy. It might've seemed that way from the possibly unfortunate expression I used, but it's not what I've actually said. My point is that this is a completely disproportional punishment that gets away with it simply and only because of hiding behind a flavor-of-the-year easy issue.

Another thing that makes me take you less seriously is the complete counter-factuality, at least in the context of our conversation, of the statement I bolded. Was I actually advocating them getting off scott free, or is this you reading "anything less than permaban" as "not a punishment" making this my last reply to you?
I think all of the women in this thread who have pointed out that they've had to deal with this online proves that it's a real problem. Saying that actually trying to fix it is "bandwagoning" is kind of insulting.
It is a real problem. It's just a problem that can get solved without the overblown punishments and the circlejerks. It's a non-issue in the sense that there's no need to make huge announcements and cover it as bloody news.
You know, you are being kinda rude here. I think you yourself missed the point I was trying to make, these people agreed to follow the code of conduct when they made their XBL account, rules that have been around for years. As for it being a "flavor of the year" issue, no, not at all. This isn't just a recent problem, this has been going on for years. I honestly don't know what to think anymore when people are trying to solve problems like the massive amount of sexism on XBL and it people keep on insisting that it's just a PR stunt. As for the punishment being overblown, I can't help but feel like permanent banning may be the way to go. Sexism is deeply rooted in XBL, it's gone practically unopposed for over a decade, and it's come to be accepted at the norm. Slapping people on the wrist with banning them for a few days won't really stick, they'll just jump back into the fray and continuing being dicks. There is an argument for a three strike policy, but in my opinion, a permanent ban should still be at the end in order to really get the point across, anything less and people will just shrug their punishment off and go back to being jerks. The reason the announcement for this is so loud and the punishments are so harsh is that 343 is making it known that they disapprove of sexism and that they will not tolerate it while people are playing their game. Personally, I approve of that. And as for systems being abused, earlier in this threat I posted a video that explains how the Microsoft report system works, which includes that Microsoft employees look over every complaint that is filed within 24 hours, and they never auto-ban, they always check the report and make a decision, so I'm not worried about this system getting abused.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
erttheking said:
Counter_Southpaw said:
I hope this doesn't infringe upon my frequent habit of trashtalking the opposing team.

It's a Halo past-time, for God's sake!
There's a difference between trash talking someone and throwing sexist comments around. I think you'll be fine.
Not nessicarly, the point of trash talking is to get a rise out of the other guys to inhibit their performance. Racism, sexism, religious insults, whatever pisses the other side off to the point where they are focusing on that rather than the game so they get thier butts kicked.

I have mixed opinions about it, but the bottom line is that "trash talk" by it's nature can't fall within any kinds of "off limits" guidelines. Saying you can talk trash as long as it doesn't seriously pisse anyone off defeats the entire purpose of the tactic.

That said, I'd be fine with them banning trash talking entirely, or just limiting communications "in team" or whatever which would cut down on a lot of stuff. You can't say "trash talking is fine" but then say specific things go too far, because honestly the further they go, and the more they upset people is EXACTLY the point. If sexism/racism/religious hate/whatever gets the other team shaking with rage so that they spend more time trying to silence the speaker and argueing than fighting, it works. Trash talking, being able to keep that going, while not inhibiting your own performance, is a talent of sort. Not everyone can keep up truely offesnive banter while remaining "in the zone" so to speak.

Either outlaw trash talk, or make it clear that if you can't take it, you don't belong logging into one of these games (and when applicable, point to the "M" rating).

They need to either ban it entirely, or leave it alone. I don't like the idea of privatly owned online corperate thought police, even in the limited sphere of gaming, it rapidly becomes too subjective even when started with the best of intentions.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Therumancer said:
erttheking said:
Counter_Southpaw said:
I hope this doesn't infringe upon my frequent habit of trashtalking the opposing team.

It's a Halo past-time, for God's sake!
There's a difference between trash talking someone and throwing sexist comments around. I think you'll be fine.
Not nessicarly, the point of trash talking is to get a rise out of the other guys to inhibit their performance. Racism, sexism, religious insults, whatever pisses the other side off to the point where they are focusing on that rather than the game so they get thier butts kicked.

I have mixed opinions about it, but the bottom line is that "trash talk" by it's nature can't fall within any kinds of "off limits" guidelines. Saying you can talk trash as long as it doesn't seriously pisse anyone off defeats the entire purpose of the tactic.

That said, I'd be fine with them banning trash talking entirely, or just limiting communications "in team" or whatever which would cut down on a lot of stuff. You can't say "trash talking is fine" but then say specific things go too far, because honestly the further they go, and the more they upset people is EXACTLY the point. If sexism/racism/religious hate/whatever gets the other team shaking with rage so that they spend more time trying to silence the speaker and argueing than fighting, it works. Trash talking, being able to keep that going, while not inhibiting your own performance, is a talent of sort. Not everyone can keep up truely offesnive banter while remaining "in the zone" so to speak.

Either outlaw trash talk, or make it clear that if you can't take it, you don't belong logging into one of these games (and when applicable, point to the "M" rating).

They need to either ban it entirely, or leave it alone. I don't like the idea of privatly owned online corperate thought police, even in the limited sphere of gaming, it rapidly becomes too subjective even when started with the best of intentions.
Ban trash talking entirely isn't something I'm necessarily against, but that's a big change to make. One step at a time in my opinion.

longboardfan

Jul 27, 2011
Ah single player for the win. You don't have to worry about getting banned, because you aren't dumb enough to plug the device into the Internet in the first place. What's that? You want multiplayer? Well how about instead playing a game where the devs and publishers aren't going all big-brother on you making sure you "play nice."

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Hammeroj said:
erttheking said:
You know, you are being kinda rude here. I think you yourself missed the point I was trying to make, these people agreed to follow the code of conduct when they made their XBL account, rules that have been around for years. As for it being a "flavor of the year" issue, no, not at all. This isn't just a recent problem, this has been going on for years. I honestly don't know what to think anymore when people are trying to solve problems like the massive amount of sexism on XBL and it people keep on insisting that it's just a PR stunt. As for the punishment being overblown, I can't help but feel like permanent banning may be the way to go. Sexism is deeply rooted in XBL, it's gone practically unopposed for over a decade, and it's come to be accepted at the norm. Slapping people on the wrist with banning them for a few days won't really stick, they'll just jump back into the fray and continuing being dicks. There is an argument for a three strike policy, but in my opinion, a permanent ban should still be at the end in order to really get the point across, anything less and people will just shrug their punishment off and go back to being jerks. The reason the announcement for this is so loud and the punishments are so harsh is that 343 is making it known that they disapprove of sexism and that they will not tolerate it while people are playing their game. Personally, I approve of that. And as for systems being abused, earlier in this threat I posted a video that explains how the Microsoft report system works, which includes that Microsoft employees look over every complaint that is filed within 24 hours, and they never auto-ban, they always check the report and make a decision, so I'm not worried about this system getting abused.
Sure am. Hope you're not feeling harassed.

I missed no point. You're using the set of rules to justify the set of rules.

It is a flavor of the year issue. I already said that there is a problem behind it, but it's being made way too big a deal for the problem that's there, and this is precisely because of it being this easy, PC topic that turned a shitload of heads thanks to the Sarkeesian lady.

If people want to play their games, banning them for a while will stick. If people want to talk online, muting them for a while (or permanently), will stick. I want you to tell me where you get off assuming that nothing short of a permaban will get people to behave better.

Yeah, yeah, everybody checks the reports, including this site. Doesn't mean people don't get banned for bad reasons.

Structure your post. I already said you're making it hard for me to take you seriously. I'm not going to read another wall of text like this.
Are you just trying to be insulting?

Would you like to point out exactly what is wrong with the code of conduct and it being enforced?

A lot of people are focusing on it at the moment this year...and how does this make bad for developers to take steps to get rid of it?

Because like I said, this has gone unopposed for around a decade now, and banning people for awhile would make them behave, I don't think that the Escapist would ever need to resort to using permeant bans. I mean look at me, look at my profile. I've gotten so many infractions that one more will land me a permanent ban, I've misbehaved to the point where the moderators are saying "ok, we're not going to take this anymore, one more toe out of line and you're off the website for good" and you know what? I'm watching my temper and making sure that I'm polite now, but it didn't really sink in until the Sword of Damocles of permanent banning was hung over my head. So I guess you could say I'm speaking from experience that you need big guns to get people to fall into line. It doesn't help that XBL is way worse than the Escapist.

Every system ever is vulnerable to abuse, old ones, current ones and new ones, we can't be afraid of moving forward because the new system isn't going to be 100% perfect, because no system is perfect.

SeanSeanston

Dec 22, 2010
GunsmithKitten said:
Yet those same dangerous jobs are heralded in society and are paid higher, wouldn't ya know, while housework is almost universally scorned as the domain of the lazy and lowest common denominator.
While housework is probably derided to some extent by many yes, it's not exactly a top paying or glamourized job to be working in a coal mine and/or sewer either. I don't see anyone heralding the job of garbage man, nor do I see many women in said job.

I don't think you could then either really honestly say that physical strength or upper body strength is justification that many of these jobs are just impractical for women to do, it's not like you need to be exceptionally strong for most of them. E.g. operating power tools or w/e.

The potential inherent dangers of being a man are definitely ignored more than the potential inherent dangers of being a woman, in fairness. It is factual that there are many and it is factual that many men (and very much mostly men) are forced into working very dangerous and crappy jobs by the reality of their circumstances. Main difference is that nobody cares.

I mean, it's like "wasn't it **** to be a woman 100 years go?", yes, I suppose it was... but at the end of the day, I'd still know what I'd rather be from 1914-1918 in Europe.
Nobody ever really seems to be allowed point out how terrible the alternative might be.

Schadrach said:
I've seen it used as I described above to argue that gay rights are really about misogyny and thus we should really be talking about women's rights instead. It's silly, it's fallacious, but you see it fairly often.
Yes, this IS a good one I've noticed.

Ever notice there seems to be a conscious or semi-conscious effort to drive a wedge between homosexual men and heterosexual men? It's back to this whole "straight white man" business where extremists go off on a deluded tin-foil hat ramble, where the SWM is implicitly the root of all evil, or the discussion is structured to give such an impression.
The implication apparently being that not being any one of those 3 gets you off scot-free and absolves you of the sins you otherwise would have inherited through some sort of Lamarckism.

The implication being that homosexual men hardly count as men at all, and certainly must be blatantly distinct from most men to even the most casual glance. And they're all effeminate. All of them. Meanwhile there are no heterosexual men who could be described as effeminate (only the gays do that. Always. Even in the 80s). Why... *mock surprise* isn't it a strange conclusion... we appear to have separated the homosexual men from the heterosexual, placing them in a position far closer to that of women, as though men's issues are not theirs and heterosexual men are drawn against both. It's almost as though the discussion were contrived to give such an outcome from the beginning. Amazing ^_o

Then we no longer need talk about the rights of homosexual men as though they were men who didn't have rights, eliminating the need to discuss men's rights in the first place.

Lesson is, I think: It's important to remember there are deluded crazies everywhere to every degree with every opinion you can imagine. Probably the most dangerous of these are the ones that rest in certain sweet spots where they're not quite out-there enough to appear totally mad, but just enough to take a semi-reasonable discussion and be seen as legitimate enough to be allowed take it somewhere surreal.

Schadrach said:
My own university was not terribly far off parity for overall student body when I attended, but the college of engineering as a whole was 7:1 male:female (economics, nursing, dental hygiene, and printing were all pretty female dominated and balanced the overall out), and the computer science department was 14:1. There was one woman graduating comp sci at the same time I did, and she was an exchange student from...Korea, I think. This was around the turn of the millennium.
Yeah, it was something similar in my CS course. I think there may have been about 5 or 6 throughout the whole 4 years (think some seemed to have come later, maybe some left at some point) from at the start maybe... 70 or so people total.
Pity, I suppose, thinking back.

hooksashands said:
And you know what? It pisses me off too. They ruin it for ALL OF US, not just the girls. Put yourself in my shoes for one moment. Because of all this bullshit, I now have a target painted on my back for no other reason than being a guy who likes videogames. Suddenly all my motives are suspect. Don't like a female character? Sexist. Disagree with Anita Sarkeesian's solutions involving censorship? Sexist. Playfully flirt with someone in a game lobby? Sexist. These are all things that have happened to me. I know what it's like to be persecuted based on gender.
Ya, and when we get to the "you don't know what it's like, you're looking at X from the outside" business, people should keep this in mind.

It's not nice to feel like you have to watch your every word/move because you're assumed by default because of your gender/sexuality/race to be some sort of Nazi sociopath rapist without a problem in the world, and you know damn well you will NEVER get the benefit of the doubt primarily because nobody actually cares if you're any of those things because it's more about appearances and political reasons.

It's not fair to expect people to try and put themselves in your shoes, if you're not willing to genuinely try and do the same and imagine what it would realistically feel like to be in theirs, and not disregard their concerns out of hand because of some old-fashioned preconception you so desperately don't want to challenge.

Mechalynx said:
As a gamer for most of my conscious life, just happening to be of female persuasion, this looks like a horrible idea to me. It basically limits the free speech, or as Simon Phoenix would say, their right to be assholes. Paying assholes at that. Some sort of punishment is due for the biggest offenders, but I can see the franchise lose customers fast if they are permanently prevented from getting full use of the product they paid for.
Yeahhhh... kinda much along the lines of what I was feeling.

In the sense that: surely we can agree there is or can be a lot of rather extreme activity that goes on in online games which ought to be stopped. I'd rather call it harassment. You know the kind. When people are properly targeted and disproportionately attacked. Such as whenever any woman use voice chat in a game ever ;), well maybe slight exaggeration but probably just about. That kind of "high-end" stuff surely needs to be rooted out.

But then on the lower end, I think it's only right and practical that people have the "right to be assholes" as you say. Not even because it may be right or desirable even, but just that you have to have some kind of personal discretion I think. Then people can hold themselves back appropriately... or not. Mute them, kick them, whatever. It can police itself at that point and will turn out reasonably fine. Would we really want an anger-free and reasonable interweb anyway? It's part of what makes it the interweb. We can't have people afraid to loosen up and relax and maybe say things they shouldn't sometimes.

Women in games surely get a lot of pure harassment though more than just about anyone else (Except maybe 12 year olds >__> but who cares). There's a lot of bull**** when it comes to the topic of sexism IMO at least, but I think this one is hard to argue.

Tomeran

Nov 17, 2011
Thumbs up for this, even if its likely only to be PR.
Asking people to be nice over the internet does not work, the douchebag's douchebaggery side is too tempted by being anonymous. But live under the threat of having your favorite toys taken away if you behave like a douchebag? Probably the right approach. Permaban might be a tad harsh, but perhaps its what's needed to change some kid's mentality. If it was any other game then Halo I wouldnt believe it would have such an effect.

Remains to be seen just how much of this is lived up to, of course.

SeanSeanston

Dec 22, 2010
Tomeran said:
If it was any other game then Halo I wouldnt believe it would have such an effect.
Yeah, it's a popular enough big commercial game to have a large effect, but also more importantly... if you're banned then hey, it's only Halo ;)

Zombiefish

Sep 29, 2012
Zachary Amaranth said:
If you're playing in public, try acting like it. Since the specific assertion was that friends did this, I presumed closed games. Honestly, I don't get why people have such a hard time conducting themselves like adults. I give my friends shit all the time. I don't, however, in public because there's a social context that goes along with behaviour. And if someone "takes it the wrong way," maybe you were doing something wrong after all.

Not that I'm saying you are, just pointing out, maybe, just maybe.

And hey. Maybe this will actually teach some people to think before they speak.
Hey im the female that the insults would be directed at, not the one insulting. Im just pointing out that many females are oversensitive and would take things meant innocently the wrong way. I dont think this is acting outside a social context when men joke online, maybe they are just acting friendly.

Also some girls are quite manipulative and would report these guys just to piss them off. Girls can be dicks too. I would never do this but I know some girls that would.

Maybe there wont be a problem at all and this will be handled excellently. Like I said im curious about how its all going to work out. Just considering the implications of having a lifetime ban for first offense.

Deathmageddon

Nov 1, 2011
So asking someone to make you a sandwich (which is only sexist by connotation btw) once is enough for a lifetime ban? Nazis. You should be nice to people, sure. Sexism can be bad, sure. But this is overkill.