Halo 4 Sexism Earns You a Lifetime Ban

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
Rainboq said:
chadachada123 said:
Have you ever had completely awesome times that directly related to you being a woman?

I know one girl that I played with who was really cool, and every time a sexist guy started talking shit, me and her and her other buddies would troll the shit out of him, having a grand ol' time.

I feel similar reserves as the quoted guy, though, about what words actually constitute rule breaking and what ones don't. I use ***** and **** in general usage as an all-around dehumanizer, and wouldn't want (nor would I deserve) a PERMANENT ban for something as stupid as calling some asshole a ***** when they turned out to be female.

I agree that the outright harassment needs to go, absolutely, and that in general many players are complete assholes (though this applies just as much, in my experience, to PC gamers). I just feel that we need to be careful about the line between sexism and trash-talking.

Plus, there's always the mute button for particularly problematic people.
What's wrong with raising the level of discourse? Sure the method is draconian, but the casual misogyny that exists is so entrenched that it requires drastic measures. [http://i784.photobucket.com/albums/yy130/Rainboq/motivatoreb381a5bdc00f15b70194cbc852985b0f48660e3.jpg]
I have no issue with using stronger methods. I only have an issue with resorting to permanent bans without a single warning, ESPECIALLY for people who have committed no crime except for trash-talking within a single game.

The system shouldn't be unlike the system used in the Escapist. You get a warning or two first, and THEN you can get suspensions/bans, with only the worst-of-the-worst getting immediate bans, let alone permabans.

People abusing the messaging system? Even these pathetic excuses for humans deserve a warning or two-day suspension for first offences.

I'm tempted to accuse you of not paying for your own services or having any attachment to your profile, or for at least being wealthy or something, since you don't seem to understand just how much weight a permaban without a warning carries.

I've spent over five years and literally thousands of hours building up my gamertag, and anything that could permanently end my tag would have to be incredibly serious or with much forewarning to have it be reasonable, and that's without taking into account the hundreds of dollars I've spent on XBL.

Should we try new solutions? Yes, absolutely. But we shouldn't go overboard, and unwarned and incontestable permabans are so far overboard that it isn't even funny.

LadyZephyr

Nov 1, 2007
To everyone saying "just use mute".

... Do you not understand that one of the main appeals of a thriving online multiplayer community is being a part of the community? Do you realize what you're saying? "If the community abuses and excludes you, then don't be a part of it" is the same thing as saying that games are a boy's club and anyone not straight/white/male need not apply.

Come on now. This is victim blaming 101.

afroebob

Oct 1, 2011
Dexter111 said:
I'd rather companies do not prevent or censor free speech or in other ways superimpose their "company rules" on their customers.
If you come over to my house, call me a **** and then I kick you out am I censoring your free speech? No, I'm kicking you out because you're being a douchebag. Same thing here. They aren't censoring free speech, they are saying that if you want to use their servers then you're going to follow their rules. Thats like saying that banning someone for modding the Xbox with a J-FAG to play the game for them is abusing your right to property.

Anyhow, I'm glad about this. A permanent ban might be a little harsh but to be honest that doesn't bother me considering I don't say sexist shit because I'm not a douchebag, therefore it only serves to better my experience. Maybe now we'll get to see a lot more girls on Halo, God knows we could use a little diversity.

Gr8Stalin

May 21, 2009
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the message of the article seems to be that "your rights end where my feelings begin". This sounds just as childish as the people who go "ya well ur a poopy head lady get owned"

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
Mick Golden Blood said:
Rocklobster99 said:
Harassment in online games is a serious problem. If only there were a way to combat it.

But, why do that when you can just whine on the internet?
http://gemakei.com/content/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/clap-gif.gif

You win the thread.

herp de derp. It's not that hard.

But I have to admit, I feel this is awfully well... hmmmm...

Fuck it, being blunt, I keep thinking it figures a woman in charge would pull this permaban stunt over sexism... it just... I hate it but it's true.
Yes, those harrassed have the ability to ignore it. But why tolerate those kind of people in the first place? Get them the fuck out of my matchmaking. They wanna cry about it? Tough shit. Try not being a sexist asshole for Halo 5.

Telling the victims to use their means to ignore it is a worse option than actively stopping and kicking out those who are in the wrong in the first place.

jamescdenton

Oct 31, 2012
I think going to go to knitting clubs and blog sites and do manly things like swear a lot and talk about rough sex and heavy metal music. I mean, most people don't do that right? Well most men do that while playing games, it's normal and to be expected. So ladies, get used to it and stop swinging the double standard axe, because I'm tired of getting banned from my favorite servers that I insult and smack talk my friends when I killed but then one girl has an issue with me calling her a ****.

To delete this post, is to only solidify my point.

noahd

Sep 21, 2010
"My gender played no part in it."

keep telling yourself that, maybe one day it will become true. sexist comments can be put in the same bucket as racist comments, harassing comments, and a whole shit load of other things. but perma ban because their demographic is 13 year olds? i think they lost their priorities since 343 took over.

Mortamus

The Talking Dead
May 18, 2012
These debates have gotten rather silly.

Sexism, from any standard, is not ok.
Racism, is not ok.
etc.

This can be easily summed up with:

"IGNORANT HATE IS NOT OK."

However, there are those that feel that a permaban is too much, or excessive. I retort with the following.

"Just use mute"

While I'm generally ok with just muting an annoying player, there are times when a person actually offends me and I want action taken for it. You cannot honestly expect another human being to not retaliate when they are demoralized/humiliated/insulted/etc. You offended me, therefore, I'm going to see to it you suffer some form of consequence for it.

"If you have to worry about it, then it isn't free speech."

I can't hate this argument enough. I really can't. By all means you have the right to say whatever you want. That, however, does not mean there are not going to be consequences for having said it. I have the right to do anything, but that doesn't mean another person does not also have the right to take action against what I do when it hurts them.

Saying or doing anything is a privilege, not a "right", and when you abuse such a privilege, you lose it.

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
chadachada123 said:
Rainboq said:
chadachada123 said:
Have you ever had completely awesome times that directly related to you being a woman?

I know one girl that I played with who was really cool, and every time a sexist guy started talking shit, me and her and her other buddies would troll the shit out of him, having a grand ol' time.

I feel similar reserves as the quoted guy, though, about what words actually constitute rule breaking and what ones don't. I use ***** and **** in general usage as an all-around dehumanizer, and wouldn't want (nor would I deserve) a PERMANENT ban for something as stupid as calling some asshole a ***** when they turned out to be female.

I agree that the outright harassment needs to go, absolutely, and that in general many players are complete assholes (though this applies just as much, in my experience, to PC gamers). I just feel that we need to be careful about the line between sexism and trash-talking.

Plus, there's always the mute button for particularly problematic people.
What's wrong with raising the level of discourse? Sure the method is draconian, but the casual misogyny that exists is so entrenched that it requires drastic measures. [http://i784.photobucket.com/albums/yy130/Rainboq/motivatoreb381a5bdc00f15b70194cbc852985b0f48660e3.jpg]
I have no issue with using stronger methods. I only have an issue with resorting to permanent bans without a single warning, ESPECIALLY for people who have committed no crime except for trash-talking within a single game.

The system shouldn't be unlike the system used in the Escapist. You get a warning or two first, and THEN you can get suspensions/bans, with only the worst-of-the-worst getting immediate bans, let alone permabans.

People abusing the messaging system? Even these pathetic excuses for humans deserve a warning or two-day suspension for first offences.

I'm tempted to accuse you of not paying for your own services or having any attachment to your profile, or for at least being wealthy or something, since you don't seem to understand just how much weight a permaban without a warning carries.

I've spent over five years and literally thousands of hours building up my gamertag, and anything that could permanently end my tag would have to be incredibly serious or with much forewarning to have it be reasonable, and that's without taking into account the hundreds of dollars I've spent on XBL.

Should we try new solutions? Yes, absolutely. But we shouldn't go overboard, and unwarned and incontestable permabans are so far overboard that it isn't even funny.
I spent a similar amount of time on my account, although I don't play on it anymore because of all the statements just filled hate. Plus I recently got a good gaming PC. But yeah, it may be a bit harsh, but I'm pretty sure that they'll add a warning system.

LadyZephyr

Nov 1, 2007
afroebob said:
Dexter111 said:
I'd rather companies do not prevent or censor free speech or in other ways superimpose their "company rules" on their customers.
If you come over to my house, call me a **** and then I kick you out am I censoring your free speech? No, I'm kicking you out because you're being a douchebag. Same thing here. They aren't censoring free speech, they are saying that if you want to use their servers then you're going to follow their rules. Thats like saying that banning someone for modding the Xbox with a J-FAG to play the game for them is abusing your right to property.

Anyhow, I'm glad about this. A permanent ban might be a little harsh but to be honest that doesn't bother me considering I don't say sexist shit because I'm not a douchebag, therefore it only serves to better my experience. Maybe now we'll get to see a lot more girls on Halo, God knows we could use a little diversity.
At last someone gets it.

And I can almost guarantee you that more women will show up. Folks who keep saying that this will get rid of the game's core demographic?

Do you think the studio doesn't know that? Consider the possibility that they maybe don't want their entire reputation to be "abusive shitheads."

Seneschal

Blessed are the righteous
Jun 27, 2009
Fits neatly with the fact that Forward Unto Dawn, the currently-running Halo web-series, depicts a roughly gender-split military academy. The Halo setting is truly an egalitarian and enlightened fascist militarist state. :)

In all seriousness, I liked the fact that they didn't make FUD a self-aggrandizing sausage-fest that's "awesome" in the most basic way to generate hype for the game. I mean, it's still a commercial for Halo 4, but it goes about it with quite a bit of subtlety and self-satire.

Ryotknife

Oct 15, 2011
a sad day for trolls everywhere, now they will have to result to death threats, rape threats against family, homophobic slurs, and other insults against women just like they use against everyone else.

Still, baby steps here people.

Mortamus

The Talking Dead
May 18, 2012
jamescdenton said:
I think going to go to knitting clubs and blog sites and do manly things like swear a lot and talk about rough sex and heavy metal music. I mean, most people don't do that right? Well most men do that while playing games, it's normal and to be expected. So ladies, get used to it and stop swinging the double standard axe, because I'm tired of getting banned from my favorite servers that I insult and smack talk my friends when I killed but then one girl has an issue with me calling her a ****.

To delete this post, is to only solidify my point.
Funny, I'm a man and don't act like this.

So let me introduce my point:

I found your comment to be sexist and offensive, and yes, you have have the privilege to voice it. However, I also have the privilege to report your post for being crude in my opinion. What you feel is "the standard" or "normal" is still just your opinion. You may find, however, that your opinion is wrong. You may not agree with that, but others do, and they will take action. That's how life works.

Action and reaction.

BelmontWolf

Feb 27, 2012
only problem i see here is that the assholes who will report people as unsporting and what not will now start reporting people as sexist and there will be a lot of unjust bans

ItsAChiaotzu

Apr 20, 2009
Rainboq said:
AnarchistAbe said:
Rainboq said:
...I've had a lot of fun times absolutely ruined by people telling me to go get in the kitchen.
Why? Why do you let some dumbass on XBL ruin YOUR good time? People say stupid shit sometimes. They're going to say stuff that offends you. But if your good time is lost because they say something to hurt you, then their job is complete. YOU give them power. YOU allow them to ruin your good time. If I got offended and stopped having fun every time somebody insulted me, I'd be a shut-in with no friends and little-to-no human interaction...

TL;DR: Screw them. Have fun, and don't let a little prick on the internet ruin your fun time.
Its not one, two or even three, but scores and scores of the morons that ruin my time. The constant messages asking me for (often naked) pics, random friend requests, and/or telling me to get back into the kitchen. Because its never one. Its often pairs, trios or even teams of the morons.
I'm just wondering here, like, on PSN you can just click on people's names and mute them. Is that a thing on Xbox?

bl4ckh4wk64

Walking Mass Effect Codex
Jun 11, 2010
Mister Six said:
I see two effects, either it has no actual effect and no one gets band, or the majority of Halo's playerbase get's the banhammer. Mostly because cussing people out has become so ingrained in the playerbase that if they do actually follow through with this it'll kill off a good chunk of their customers, which will only lead to bad things for 5 and 6.
Well considering how trashtalking people can be done without using sexist or homosexual comments, it really shouldn't reduce the actual good members of the Halo community. The ones who give us all a bad name are the same minority who would be discouraged by this, it only really helps our image.