Halo 5 Drops Split-Screen, Requires Xbox Live Gold for Online Co-Op

Mikeybb

Nunc est Durandum
Aug 19, 2014
I'll miss the split screen.
More out of nostalgia though.

My brother and I used to play through halo together when he was much younger, him sitting on the floor infront of the chair I was perched upon.
Good times.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
The most fun I had with the Halo trilogy was in the summer of 2003, before Halo 2 launched and when hints of its existence were surfacing. My cousin and I played through the entire original game on Legendary in split-screen. We enjoyed pizza that tasted like cheese-nips, we went to Ozzfest later on in the week...it was one of those magical summers you may have remembered from your own youth. It's a shame that you kids these days won't get that same experience (unless of course the Master Chief collection still offers couch co-op).

I can't even bring myself to complain about this really. I forced my way through Halo 4 but I haven't had fun with a Halo since Reach and even then the multiplayer wasn't something that kept me going back to those games. Good to see Microsoft still making anti-consumer choices for our benefit though. Very nice indeed.

megaflash

May 28, 2014
Thought 1: If he was so worried about splitting the player base, why is he giving the maps away and still calling it DLC?

Thought 2: While it's nice that he's giving a demo trial of gold with purchase, why do I feel like this was an attempt to try and sell more Gold memberships for the Xbox One? Split-screen Co-op is half the fun (punpunpun).

Arctic Werewolf

Oct 16, 2014
Lizzy Finnegan said:
In addition, Halo 5 will not support split-screen co-op according to the Game Informer cover story [http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2015/06/09/july-cover-revealed-halo-5-guardians-923520.aspx]. This marks the first time a main Halo game hasn't supported split-screen co-op since the series began.
So glad I jumped off the sinking Microsoft ship. Halo 4 was such a snooze, online and single player, and I only bought it because of a friend who would literally buy dog shit with the Halo name, by his own admission. I used to be such a fan, it's crazy to think I didn't even bother with the Master Chief collection or whatever. Which turned out to be a train wreck, naturally. Bye bye, Xbox. I just want you to know I hate you as much as you hate me.
Darth Rosenberg said:
I don't blame them keeping online co-op to Gold, but - being a tad sentimental - a lack of splitscreen feels like a bit of a betrayal of Halo's roots and spirit. Splitscreen Halo CE got me back into console gaming.
I know a lot of the old PC faithful aren't down with the Chief, but Halo: CE LAN sessions with good friends are some of my best memories. I guess that won't be possible for people these days. Let's raise our glasses to the first and greatest fully realized console shooter ever made.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
There's a huge crapstorm being raised about in the official Waypoint forums.

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/6e35355aecdf4fd0acdaee3cc4156fd4/topics/the-official-splitscreen-thread/7b2f47f4-67a5-422c-87ed-814c6b5d05e4/posts

If you got a Microsoft account, go there and let your voice be heard. Because this is all unacceptable. The axed local co-op, the reduction down from 4-player splitscreen to 2...

Alek The Great

May 24, 2011
RJ 17 said:
According to this article:

http://www.gamepur.com/news/19128-dev-explains-why-halo-5-guardians-does-not-have-split-screen-feature.html

They axed split-screen in order to maintain 60FPS. It doesn't specify 2 player vs 4 player, though I'd imagine if their intention is to keep the frame rate up then they probably got rid of it all together.

As for the GameInformer article that was linked, as I understand it that's just a bit of a "teaser" article, as it references a "full 12 page article" on Halo 5. I didn't go looking for that one though because, as I don't even own an XB1, I really don't care all that much about this. :p

However, judging by that GI article, it says that the co-op apparently plays a lot different than the single player. SP seems like it's going to be squad-based with MC issuing orders to the rest of Blue Team while in the Co-Op each player will take control of a member of Blue Team. Don't know if that helps solve this mystery or not, but again: I don't really care.
Aww man... There's less and less support for split screen and this is just ridiculous.

Vykrel

Feb 26, 2009
wouldve been nice to mention to everyone that this decision was so that they could maintain 60FPS during co-op.

JemothSkarii

Thanks!
Nov 9, 2010
Vykrel said:
wouldve been nice to mention to everyone that this decision was so that they could maintain 60FPS during co-op.
Just out of curiosity, did the earlier Halo games run at 60 FPS? Which I suppose would also lead to the question 60FPS or Split Screen for Halo?

OT: I never got into the Halo games, played the first one when it came out and found it boring as all hell single player. Only other times I played it was split screen at parties (usually out of necessity) and they brought with it a semblance of fun for me. So I'd be less inclined to buy it now.

silasbufu

Aug 5, 2009
Sorry for posting here as a PS4 owner, but being in the same boat I just wanted to say that I don't even know why the hell I bought a second controller...I really wonder...

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Arctic Werewolf said:
Let's raise our glasses to the first and greatest fully realized console shooter ever made.
Not even close to the first, and I'd say barely in the top 5 greatest at all. And that's if we're ONLY talking about shooters that weren't also on PC...

Varis

lp0 on fire
Feb 24, 2012
No no no no no no. *smacks head on the table*

*sigh* I guess there goes the last decent local co-op game franchise for consoles. Xbone and Pisspoor can go suck a lemon, there is literally nothing currently that even remotely interests me in buying either of the sodding things. Grr.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Greedy cunts, the lot of them. Oh well Halo has sucked since 2 anyway.

TristanBelmont

Nov 29, 2013
I understand the whole "No online modes for Silver"--that's how it's always been, but the no splitscreen is egregious.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Caramel Frappe said:
.. Sometimes I wonder why I have a Xbox One, when Microsoft makes decisions such as these. Is Halo even relevant anymore..?
Not bashing the series, but I am merely curious if it holds up to the glories of Halo 3 so to speak.
It's definitely not as popular as it was when Halo 3 took over the world, but Halo 4 still managed to shift 7 million copies (IIRC) and The Master Chief Collection has a fairly sizeable userbase (or at least it seems, I dislike games not including player numbers).

JemothSkarii said:
Just out of curiosity, did the earlier Halo games run at 60 FPS? Which I suppose would also lead to the question 60FPS or Split Screen for Halo?
The earlier Halo games did not run at 60 FPS. It's just the Master Chief Collection that does, though Halo 4 still suffers framerate issues both in singleplayer and especially multiplayer.

Buckets

May 1, 2014
Oh you slimy bastards, Halo with my best mate co-op sat in the same room is the highlight of this franchise for me, and now you've pissed on that idea. I can't stand online play and he doesn't own an Xbone so guess that's sealed that then. They can shove it then.