Halo 5: Guardians Coming for Xbox One in Fall 2015 - Update

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
synobal said:
Is that a female master chief on the artwork? err I guess a female spartan I should say. I dunno but for some reason it says "female to me" and the blue glow makes me think Cortana for some reason.
I would not at all be surprised if that is Cortana or some version of cortana. Also female Spartans are nothing new.

Zetatrain

Sep 8, 2010
Country
United States
Huh well not a very original title but nothing bad about it IMO

What's really interesting is the new Spartan figure in the pictures.

I originally thought it was some other Spartan sent to hunt the Master Chief down since at this point I believe he has gone rogue. But as others have pointed out that blue glow does give off a Cortana vibe.

However, the Spartan is carrying a battle rifle which gives me the feeling that he/she/it is UNSC. So my guess it that maybe the UNSC/ONI managed to create some kind of replica of Cortana, and have sent it to find the Master Chief.

Well, it'll be interesting to see what else Microsoft plans to unveil in the near future with regards to Halo 5.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
If they're building this game up on a brand new engine, can 343 please redesign their terrible looking Spartan 4s? The ones in Halo 4 looked like starving africans thrown into power armor two times too big for their stick limbs.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
A bigger effort than Halo 4? Well I guess that means they're putting in actual effort then!

I hate 343's new take on the series and their reliance on coincidence, deus ex machina and crap villains that they pulled out of their arse. I certainly hope the "Guardians" don't appear in this game, because they've always just been a joke.

A Halo 2 anniversary seems mandatory now with that release date, that'll be the only guaranteed way to get money from me to be given to 343.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
John Keefer said:
Just throwing it out there, but maybe he wanted to blend in as one of the "locals"? I have no inside info, but that was just my initial thought. Wouldn't be the first time that characters have tried to hide in plain sight. And if his armor was indeed damaged as the visor may indicate, even more reason to cover up since the option of going full Spartan on his enemies may be limited.
Isn't he supposed to be like 7-9 feet tall though? Those would have to be some big locals.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
I was certain this was a side game like ODST since it had a subtitle, guess not. Subtitles are nice and all, but for main Halo games I feel like it's better just to have Halo # as the title.

Anyway, I hope when they say talk about greater scope, they mean a bigger single player campaign. I feel like the biggest Halo fans are in it for the stories and the universe, it would make sense to cater to them as opposed to the online multiplayer component. Though Microsoft probably would not allow them to skimp on multiplayer either. :/

Zetatrain

Sep 8, 2010
Country
United States
Slycne said:
John Keefer said:
Just throwing it out there, but maybe he wanted to blend in as one of the "locals"? I have no inside info, but that was just my initial thought. Wouldn't be the first time that characters have tried to hide in plain sight. And if his armor was indeed damaged as the visor may indicate, even more reason to cover up since the option of going full Spartan on his enemies may be limited.
Isn't he supposed to be like 7-9 feet tall though? Those would have to be some big locals.
Depends, what kind of locals are we talking about? Elites and Brutes are roughly the same height as a suited up Spartan II and there are probably other alien races in the Halo universe we don't know of yet.

Also the cloak could just be a means to hide from aerial drones or satellites, and not an on the ground up close inspection.

wolfehound22

Nov 18, 2013
J Tyran said:
wolfehound22 said:
I'm sure there are statistics out there that show a game sells better if there isn't a number at the end. I'd expect the same for the next Gears, God of War and Uncharted games as well.
They already went there with God of War: Ascension and Gears of War: Judgement, funnily enough if thats the theory behind adding a name instead of using a number it didn't work for either of those games. They where both the worst selling in the series by a large margin (PSP God of War games excluded, even some of those outsold Ascension though) as fans of both seemed burned out with the series and didn't attract all that many new players.
Well that may be the issue more than the name, simply burning out on a particular series. I think the name change may have something to do with attracting new gamers, but yea after this many, who's to say if it will sell great anyways.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
That guy with the blue visor sure looks slender for a man in space armour.

*Looks closer*

Is... Is that a man?!

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Zetatrain said:
Depends, what kind of locals are we talking about? Elites and Brutes are roughly the same height as a suited up Spartan II and there are probably other alien races in the Halo universe we don't know of yet.

Also the cloak could just be a means to hide from aerial drones or satellites, and not an on the ground up close inspection.
Speculations and complaints of silliness aside, on some level I think it just is what it is. That trailer premiered over a stream live, so it wasn't titled and they needed a way to hide the reveal of "Surprise it's Master Chief".

Zetatrain

Sep 8, 2010
Country
United States
Slycne said:
Zetatrain said:

Speculations and complaints of silliness aside, on some level I think it just is what it is. That trailer premiered over a stream live, so it wasn't titled and they needed a way to hide the reveal of "Surprise it's Master Chief".
And I have no doubt that was why they added cloak, and any in game explanation we get later on will have probably come after the decision was made to give the Chief a cloak.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Good, Halo 4 was soulless. New enemy sucked, new weapons sucked and the levels were bland and some felt copied from previous games. Personally i would prefer more larger out door levels on bigger epic battles.

Aug 1, 2010
Hazy992 said:
Well it looks like Halo 2: Anniversary is a very distinct possibilty at this point. If I was a gambling man I'd put money on it being at E3.
This one comment made me way, way more excited than all of the information on Halo 5 combined.

Halo has been my absolute favorite series for a long time, but I couldn't be less interested in 5. 4 wasn't bad, but it was utterly bland, uninteresting and retroactively made the Halo universe worse.

The Guardians is a fittingly bland title for what will probably be another mediocre game.

The prospect of a Halo 2: Anniversary announcement, however, is completely awesome.

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
"Halo 5: Guardians is a bigger effort than Halo 4,"
This implies that Halo 4 was a large effort to begin with, which it certainly wasn't. It actually felt greatly scaled down from Halo: Reach.

Anyways, if they're using Halo 4 as the bench mark, than I may as well not get hyped for this at all. Halo 4 fucking sucked, and any attempt to make Halo 5 any good should begin with jettisoning the entirety of the Halo 4 design and start from scratch. I also have zero faith in 343 as a development house, and believe the entire team should also be jettisoned for turning Halo into CoD.

EDIT:
Hazy992 said:
Well it looks like Halo 2: Anniversary is a very distinct possibilty at this point. If I was a gambling man I'd put money on it being at E3.
Unless they include the Halo 2 multiplayer entirely unmolested (fat chance. They'll probably just staple the Halo 4 multiplayer like the usually do), then they can keep their remake. The multiplayer was easily the greatest thing about that game, and if I remember correctly, the campaign was actually rather 'meh'.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Anachronism said:
There is literally no reason for that robe except for the bit where he throws it back to reveal his helmet. It's very, very silly.
...and very, very cool.

L34dP1LL said:
OT: pretty bummed that it's xbone exclusive, no love for 360.
Halo 4 actually looked quite good, graphically, but Halo must--- ahem... - evolve, and so to make a new, as-good-as-the-XB1-can-manage-to-look Halo and not have it be a hoped-for system seller would be ludicrous. Honestly, Halo may probably end up being that for me. So they'd definitely lose one XB1 sale if they made it available for ye olde 360.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Aerosteam said:

*Looks closer*

Is... Is that a man?!
Oh, that would be cool if it was a girl. Would we finally get to play Kelly in a Halo game, or at least have her be in one? Because that is not Master Chief, and if it is, 343 is about to tick off a lot of Halo fans. His armor is his most identifiable trait. To change it that much is blasphemy.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Sniper Team 4 said:
Aerosteam said:

*Looks closer*

Is... Is that a man?!
Oh, that would be cool if it was a girl. Would we finally get to play Kelly in a Halo game, or at least have her be in one? Because that is not Master Chief, and if it is, 343 is about to tick off a lot of Halo fans. His armor is his most identifiable trait. To change it that much is blasphemy.
They already confirmed it's a guy and that's a new character we've never seen yet.

tdylan

Jun 17, 2011
Slycne said:
John Keefer said:
I was thinking something similar: "7' tall juggernaut walking around in shiny, jungle green power armor...better throw on this shroud to conceal myself. There...that's better."

tdylan

Jun 17, 2011
Halo 5: Guardians is a bigger effort than Halo 4," 343 Industries General Manager Bonnie Gross said in a statement. "That applies to the content and scope of the game, as well as the technology in what's now a brand new and more powerful engine
Made potentially even more powerful with the absence of kinect, amirtie?

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/134509-Xbox-One-Could-Be-More-Powerful-Without-Kinect