Halo Combat Evolved Anniversary Review

blizzaradragon

Mar 15, 2010
Avaholic03 said:
Was it really necessary to throw in the Mac vs. PC and Android vs. iPhone fayboy BS? As if Halo doesn't inspire enough fanboys to come out of the woodwork? Just review the game please, if I want commentary on which tech platforms are the best, I'll be sure to ask.
I agree, that was one of two things that really got on my nerves in this review. Especially cause I've had much better experiences with the Android over the iPhone, but that's just me :p

OT: Great review, but there are other remakes that have done just as well if not better than their original. Ocarina of Time 3D comes to mind immediately, for example.

If I still had a 360 I would pick this up, so if I somehow get one again I'll keep this in mind.

JPArbiter

Oct 14, 2010
I will argue to my grave that it would have been better to rebuild the game using the reach engine and physics, and keeping the old X Box game as a "Feature" rather then repackaging something I could get on X Box Live for 20 bucks

The blocky assets are STILL frustrating to this day with sniper kill shots and well place rockets detonating in the empty space between two trees. I am reminded how there was a gaddamned good reason the Needler has had to be revised in every single Halo game, and the AR had to have its clip cut in half to double the firepower per shot.

the HD graphics overlay positively ruins the atmosphere of 343 guilty spark, the Library, silent Cartographer, and Keyes, where the low lighting levels helped the derelict artifact feel (and in the case of the library made the zombie apocalypse run possible.)

Here is the thing, There are two examples of successful remakes that should be held up as blueprints for remaking. Mega Man Powered up and Mega Man Mavrick Hunter X. Halo CEA is following the Mavrick Hunter X example, copying the old game verbatim with a few extras to justify the price tag.

MM Powered up though added two new bosses, completely changed the maps and reworked the difficulty to be more forgiving in the right places (yellow Devil) and less forgiving in the right places (Ice Man and Fire Man). I would be much more satisfied had 343 manned up and took THAT route rather then lazily releasing the same game I have played for a decade.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Ah yes where the evolution of casual FPS began, I remember getting this on PC way back in the day and my jaw just dropped... at the simplicity.

But the history is interesting, this was supposed to be Apples big breakthrough into the gaming market, but MS did not like that one bit so they just dropped a fatter check and turned it around into their biggest cash squirter.

Aug 1, 2010
I am what you might call a Halo fanboy and even I wouldn't have given it that score. 3.5, MAYBE 4.

The gameplay feels a bit outdated and there simply isn't enough new content to give this game a near perfect score.

And by the way, to everyone else, although the graphics look like ASS in the pictures, in-game they actually look pretty amazing.

Fayathon

Professional Lurker
Nov 18, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
That's ok. We hate you, too. :) Buh-bye, now!
Kind of a shame (not really) that the standards around here are so nice, I don't want to have to go to 4chan to watch someone post completely inane bullshit sometimes.

OT: I'd give Half-Life the honor of paving the way for modern shooters, Halo just took the road and made it more noticeable and open for more people. The review makes it sound like it's just more of the same and if I cared for that I'd pop in my copy of CE and play that with a bunch of friends split scree. (I CBA paying for Gold when I do most of my multiplayer on PC.)

Tonythion

Aug 28, 2010
Never had the original, it was a friends and I only got two levels in before they took it back. I still loved it and I knew what happened so when Two came out I just jumped into that.

So I got it release day, I have it set on Legendary. That shit is hard, I'm still only about three levels in and I am dying left and right. Games where harder back in the day, the graphics compared to the original is awesome. I don't see why people are complaining, new RPGs look like the HD remake of Halo so people are just trying to find ways to put Halo down.

It's pretty awesome to re-live my childhood with such an awesome game.

daxterx2005

Dec 19, 2009
How long do you think the Halo Franchise will stay relevant?
Its been 10 years now, but I can't really see us 15 years in the future celebrating its 25th anniversary.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
I will never forgive Microsoft for refusing to let me play this on my PC...

EDIT: Watching more of the video... dear god, never have I wanted a game further inside me.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
daxterx2005 said:
Its been 10 years now, but I can't really see us 15 years in the future celebrating its 25th anniversary.
Eh, I think we might be. You never know.

JPArbiter

Oct 14, 2010
daxterx2005 said:
if 343 had the decency to make games in the Halo Universe, and not recycle S-117 as a protaganist character maybe. I would like to see a Halo Wars 2, or a Tactical Espionage Action game surrounding the Arbiter, more ODST titles, explore an Ace Combat like Flight Sim or a Mass Effect Esque Rolepalyer 343. this forerunner trilogy idea is garbage.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Russ Pitts said:
i defy you to name another game
Super Metriod :p

but .... that's more or less what i was expecting, 'its prettier and built in online multi-player now'. *shrugs* well, it didn't hold my interest the first time, so i doubt ether of those 'new editions' would have any better luck doing so.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
JPArbiter said:
daxterx2005 said:
if 343 had the decency to make games in the Halo Universe, and not recycle S-117 as a protaganist character maybe. I would like to see a Halo Wars 2, or a Tactical Espionage Action game surrounding the Arbiter, more ODST titles, explore an Ace Combat like Flight Sim or a Mass Effect Esque Rolepalyer 343. this forerunner trilogy idea is garbage.
Actually it isn't. as shown in Halo: Glasslands, and Halo: Cryptum, there is still much to be shown.

TheSapphireKnight

I hate Dire Wolves...
Dec 4, 2008
The more I see of Anniversary the more I am blown away by how beautiful the updated game is. Of course it is not as pretty in terms of texture work or animations as other recent releases, but the new layer adds a lot of life to previously dull corridors.

The colors are just so vibrant the new graphical additions are just such a stark contrast to the relatively muted pallet of recent releases. Reach has objectively better graphics but the art design Anniversary is just more alive and vibrant by comparison(Possibly due to Reach being set on a Human world whose architecture and equipment tends to be 'practical' rather than pretty)

If Anniversary is anything to go by then sign me up for Halo 2: Anniversary because if that is what they can do with CE's relatively dull color scheme than a Halo 2 update is going to be a treat.

Must. Play. Grrrr. Must. Wait. Till. Friday. :(

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
Tharwen said:
And i wanted to see Halo 3 or reach on PC with the same online as Halo 1...but i know that will never happen due to the fact Microsoft don't want to get too much money for some weird reason..

JPArbiter

Oct 14, 2010
Glasslands and Cryptum are prequels not featuring the Chief, which is exactly my point. there is plenty to explore in the Halo universe without the Master Chief needing to be invovled.

Cryptum was also boring as all getout.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
I have only got as far as "The Silent Cartographer" so far, mostly because Skyrim is taking up all my time, but there are a few things that stand out for me with this game:

- The environments are GORGEOUS. I used to play Halo:CE and think it looked beautiful, but switching back and forth between the old and new just showed me how far graphics have come in ten years. Sadly I doubt I'll ever be able to look at the original version of this game ever again.

- Playing the game feels like exactly the same experience I had when I first played it, as if the enhanced graphics are what I really saw in my head ten years ago. They really haven't touched anything in the game engine.

- The improved sounds and remastered soundtrack are incredible. I didn't think there was much point in bothering but the new soundtrack is just crystal clear and a true delight to the ears.

- The weapons feel a lot more substantial.

- The enemies seem an awful lot tougher than I remember... either they tweaked the difficulty or I've just been spoilt by Reach. I played Reach on Legendary and that kicked my ass. Anniversary on Normal isn't even close but I'm still dying more times than I'd like... and I'm good at these games generaly.

- The graphics were not made using the Reach engine. Character models look fine until they open their mouths and the poor lip sync makes them look a little derpy. Keyes looks fantastic but Johnson looks nothing like any of his previous iterations, which is a real shame. Cortana looks as she did in Halo 3, instead of her original Halo:CE form and her annimation seems a little off sometimes.

Overall I'm having a great time, but aside from a nostalgia trip, this game probably isn't worth much more. Considering all 343 had to do was upgrade the graphics and even they look bad in places, it's not the best effort I've seen. I hope they don't use this engine for Halo 4.

Worr Monger

Jan 21, 2008
Russ Pitts said:
A fresh coat of paint is all this game needed to remind the world how Bungie brought shooters out of the stone age.
I was always under the impression that Half Life brought shooters out of the stone age...

...And Halo made them consol accessible.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
JPArbiter said:
Glasslands and Cryptum are prequels not featuring the Chief, which is exactly my point. there is plenty to explore in the Halo universe without the Master Chief needing to be invovled.

Cryptum was also boring as all getout.
True, well wrong about Glasslands being a prequel (technically a prequel to Halo 4, but not to the series.) But why is it bad? Master Chief has only been playable in 3 of the 6 Halo Games.

Master Chief has a long backstory, and I believe if they're telling the truth about puting that more into focus for Hlao 4, it could be really good.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Tharwen said:

EDIT: Watching more of the video... dear god, never have I wanted a game further inside me.
Wait, you mean don't have Halo PC, or Custome Edition with all the delicious mods?

Go get it, Custom's free as long as you have Halo PC...

Electrogecko

Apr 15, 2010
When it's said that the first Halo stands toe to toe with current FPS' when graphically updated, I see that more of a sign of how little the genre has progressed than an indication of exceptional quality, and I'm aware that sounds more than a little hypocritical coming from someone who enjoyed Ocarina of Time 3d.

I hated Halo1's campaign when I first played it 9 years ago, and I don't use that word lightly (seriously, I found everything past the first couple of levels so boring it made me hysterical). I doubt I'd enjoy it more now that I've become resentful of the entire genre and have had a chance to experience the true brilliance of Half-Life 2.