Halo Combat Evolved Anniversary Review

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
xplay3r said:
Susan Arendt said:
TheRealHardcoreGamer said:
A 4.5 stars! I hate the escapist, they're just a bunch of mainstream tools. Yahzee is the only good reviewer on this website, because he tells it like it is. I was glad I gave him money for his trip to PAX, even though tickets ran out and I didn't receive my money back.

Halo is a game for twelve year-old boys, it's the video game equivalent of Justin Bieber. It's the same shit, wrapped up with nice graphics.

Also, the graphics look like shit. Anybody who disagrees is a blind, Halo fanboy.

4.5 stars? You're officially an idiot Mr. Puss Pitts.
That's ok. We hate you, too. :) Buh-bye, now!
It's good to be the queen...
It has its moments.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Namewithheld said:
I actually really enjoyed the first Halo, but...

"I dare you to name another game that still feels fresh and revolutionary, even ten years later."

I actually replayed the original Half Life recently...
Homeworld 2 I just ordered on Amazon and I know it's only 8 years old but it does feel like it would still do good if released today.
As for the review I lost my original copy of Halo:CE for the xbox so this'll be a nice chance to get it for the 360. To me nothing will ever beat the feeling I got on legendary co-op, final mission, hopping in the warthog while leaving my friend on the ship to die.

klasbo

Nov 17, 2009
Infernai said:
Tharwen said:
I will never forgive Microsoft for refusing to let me play this on my PC...
And i wanted to see Halo 3 or reach on PC with the same online as Halo 1...but i know that will never happen due to the fact Microsoft don't want to get too much money for some weird reason..
If Reach was available for PC I would be playing that since release.
But no, we get Crysis 2, Homefront, Brink, Modern Chorefare, Medal of Honour and Bad Company instead. Because we want lackluster and broken games on the PC.

There hasn't been a properly good PC FPS since Battlefield 2 / CoD2 (or Cod4 promod) or CS Source, but it's right goddamn there. Bungie, Microsoft, 343... Y U NO take my money?

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
TheSapphireKnight said:
The more I see of Anniversary the more I am blown away by how beautiful the updated game is. Of course it is not as pretty in terms of texture work or animations as other recent releases, but the new layer adds a lot of life to previously dull corridors.

The colors are just so vibrant the new graphical additions are just such a stark contrast to the relatively muted pallet of recent releases. Reach has objectively better graphics but the art design Anniversary is just more alive and vibrant by comparison(Possibly due to Reach being set on a Human world whose architecture and equipment tends to be 'practical' rather than pretty)

If Anniversary is anything to go by then sign me up for Halo 2: Anniversary because if that is what they can do with CE's relatively dull color scheme than a Halo 2 update is going to be a treat.

Must. Play. Grrrr. Must. Wait. Till. Friday. :(
Personally speaking, if they do a Halo 2 Anniversary I'll be convinced that they're just milking the Halo franchise for money.

I mean, I can understand if they make a CEA. It was a celebrated game and it could certainly use a touch-up, but Halo 2 doesn't look that bad in its current state, and why would we even want a Halo 2 anniversary? The Campaign wasn't as good, and the multiplayer is outdated.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
A 4.5 stars! I hate the escapist, they're just a bunch of mainstream tools. Yahzee is the only good reviewer on this website, because he tells it like it is. I was glad I gave him money for his trip to PAX, even though tickets ran out and I didn't receive my money back.

Halo is a game for twelve year-old boys, it's the video game equivalent of Justin Bieber. It's the same shit, wrapped up with nice graphics.

Also, the graphics look like shit. Anybody who disagrees is a blind, Halo fanboy.

Banhammer with a smile. That's why I love you guys sometimes XD

I had this preordered and everything, but I started a new, relatively exhausting, job the day it came out :(

Gonna finally get it Saturday. I'm glad I have Skyrim to hold me over until then!

... And for after I beat it.

And for years after that.

Jelly ^.^

Mar 11, 2010
Hoooooooooly shit. A new colour to the FPS shader spectrum! Did you see how blue everything was outside!

Also, I miss the /fingergun and hastily scrawled signature that looks like it says "Piss Tits." :(

Ellen of Kitten

Nov 30, 2010
Russ Pitts said:

The game that started a legacy looks better than ever.

Read Full Article
It's Russ! I didn't think I'd hear from you again on this site. :)
Cheers!

Ellen of Kitten

Nov 30, 2010
Susan Arendt said:

Was that the infamous "Halo Guy" we heard about in the last podcast?

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
Russ Pitts said:

The game that started a legacy looks better than ever.

Read Full Article
Welcome back! Great review, I felt the same way when I played it. Though I'm surprised when reading your article and watching the video, you didn't mention that they integrated the skulls system into it, along with some new kinds of skulls. You also didn't mention that if you find the hidden terminals, you get and extra bit of story that explains quite a bit of how the Flood survived and came to be on Halo.

Coldster

Oct 29, 2010
Despite these high score reviews, I'm going to pass on this one. I have Halo 1 on my 360 and I love it. Call me when they bring a Halo 2 remake and I promise I'll get that.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Ellen of Kitten said:
Susan Arendt said:

Was that the infamous "Halo Guy" we heard about in the last podcast?
You know, I did wonder.

Eggbert

Jun 9, 2010
Nice. I actually enjoyed the original on PC. However, I disagree with the 'why' on why Halo's holding up so well. I don't think it's because it was so forward thinking (Marathon, on the other hand, I will never deny was forward thinking). I think it's because shooters haven't changed since Halo. That's why. Every shooter since (barring the ones I typically play- Painkiller, Half-Life, etc.) has just been taking stuff Halo did and doing it worse. And that's a damn shame. Nice to see this got made, though. I'll support rereleases as long as games I've enjoyed get (cheaper) rereleases.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
JPArbiter said:
if 343 had the decency to make games in the Halo Universe, and not recycle S-117 as a protaganist character maybe. I would like to see a Halo Wars 2, or a Tactical Espionage Action game surrounding the Arbiter, more ODST titles, explore an Ace Combat like Flight Sim or a Mass Effect Esque Rolepalyer 343. this forerunner trilogy idea is garbage.
I actually like what they did with Halo Anniversary. I'm thoroughly enjoying it. You see, I came into the series during 3, and it was nice getting a nice new package with some nice extras with it and being able to play it with some updates.

I actually wish that they would also do a Halo 2 Anniversary, so that I can have Reach, 1, 2, ODST, and 3 all on one system. I'm also very interested in Halo 4 and I'm glad it will also be on the 360.

But as you said, it would be nice for them to branch out, I loved ODST, and Reach too with all it's changes(love the armor abilities, because they've actually leveled the playing field so that it is also a strategy of using abilities along with shooting skills).

I had the same thought about the flight game, because of the space flight level in Reach, which was one of my favorite parts of that game. I've really only played that campaign all the way through 4 times(2 Normal, 1 Heroic, 1 Legendary), but I do pick out single missions on occasion to play by themselves, and that flight mission is the one I play the most.

They could make a game Halo: Sabre, or whatever other type of spacecraft that the UNSC used. Then when you beat the game you unlock Covenant Mode, where you fly Covenant ships and play the missions with a different take where the Covenant win instead of the Humans.

UsefulPlayer 1

Feb 22, 2008
It seemed like you were making a really strong argument for how Halo games, or maybe FPSs in general, have not made any significant improvement since then.

Especially got this feeling when you made the comparison with Reach. Basically, "holy crap, we've been paying for the same, if the not worse, thing since the first one."

Speakercone

May 21, 2010
You defy me to name any other game which feels as fresh now as it did on release? Ignoring the obvious fact that games released very recently (like, this year) will have this quality, I'd be willing to nominate a few:

Team Fortress 2
Half life 2
Portal
Beyond Good and Evil
Zelda: Wind Waker
Mario Galaxy
Yoshi's Island: Super Mario World 2
Gears of War
God of War
Dota

Halo also makes the list, but it's far from the only one. Also, I've never had a problem making my droid 'just work'. Perhaps you should try rebooting yourself? :p

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Coldster said:
Despite these high score reviews, I'm going to pass on this one. I have Halo 1 on my 360 and I love it. Call me when they bring a Halo 2 remake and I promise I'll get that.
If they actually make that i think i will have the biggest nerdgasm of all nergasms...

I frigging loved that game, and as i keep saying, it's the game that got me out to be the gamer i am today ^^

Silver Patriot

Aug 9, 2008
The Plunk said:
I got this game because I liked 3, ODST and Reach. However, I personally found this game to be incredibly shit. The new graphics look terrible (character models don't even have motion captured faces; Cortana's animations are, I'm pretty sure, just copied and pasted from Halo 3; and lots of texture pop-in.) I played through about half the first level and stopped because the gameplay is so outdated. I'm gonna trade it in soon.

I'm sure some people will enjoy it but this was my personal experience, so take it as you may.
To be fair this is literally "Halo 1, with better graphics" The game is running a graphical engine overlaying the original Halo 1 engine. Nothing else is different. Halo 1 (Released in 2001) didn't have mocap and Cortana's animations are the same as in the original. (Maybe you ment to say Halo 3 copied Halo 1?) I don''t think you have like the game, but you should at least reaserch what you are buying.