Halo Franchise Director Says "Plenty of Chance" of Halo 5 Coming to PC

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Halo Franchise Director Says "Plenty of Chance" of Halo 5 Coming to PC

"Plenty of Chance" of Halo 5: Guardians coming to PC, according to Halo's franchise director.

Frank O'Connor, Halo's franchise director, appeared on a live stream with GamesRadar [http://www.twitch.tv/gamesradar/v/21930526?t=31m21s] and, when asked if there is a chance of Halo 5: Guardians coming to the PC, stated that there is "plenty of chance."

"Microsoft has made a huge commitment to try to sort of, I think, normalise the Windows experience across multiple platforms, so you're seeing the elements of Windows 10 are going to appear on the Xbox and Cortana and stuff like that. There is plenty of chance that Halo 5 could appear on the PC," O'Connor said. "It wouldn't be the hardest thing in the world to move it to PC and to take advantage of PC stuff."

Although he specified that there is no official announcement at this point, O'Connor stated that it's "absolutely not out of the bounds of reason."

In other Halo 5: Guardians news, 343 Industries recently released the title's gameplay launch trailer [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/142789-Halo-5-Guardians-Launch-Trailer-Released], which offers just under three minutes of action and hype.

Halo 5: Guardians releases on October 27 on Xbox One, and will feature Warzone [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/conferences/e3-2015/14124-Halo-5-Warzone-Hands-On-Preview#&gid=gallery_4281&pid=1], a new multiplayer mode that supports up to 24 players and includes AI controlled adversaries and maps "up to four times the size" of any former Halo map.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
If it ends up on PC it might actually be worth it to upgrade to Windows 10 (assuming it'll be a requirement) for me.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
If it comes to PC I will buy it. Assuming it doesn't require Windows 10, because I'm not in any rush to upgrade to that.

AnthrSolidSnake

Jun 2, 2011
There's such a large gap in the franchise on PC since the last game they ported to it, that I don't see the point. I'm pretty sure only 1 and 2 made it to PC? (And that RTS game)
I mean, that's if you care about story I guess. Otherwise, PC already has plenty of shooters. Not sure how a random game in the franchise tossed onto PC makes much sense even if you don't care about story.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
AnthrSolidSnake said:
There's such a large gap in the franchise on PC since the last game they ported to it, that I don't see the point. I'm pretty sure only 1 and 2 made it to PC? (And that RTS game)
Actually, Halo Wars didn't make it to PC, that was console exclusive. What made it to PC next to Halo 1 and Halo 2 were the two Twin Stick Shooters, which are pretty new at least.

AnthrSolidSnake

Jun 2, 2011
Bindal said:
AnthrSolidSnake said:
Actually, Halo Wars didn't make it to PC, that was console exclusive. What made it to PC next to Halo 1 and Halo 2 were the two Twin Stick Shooters, which are pretty new at least.
Ah, you're right. I think I confused the two. (top down view in screenshots and all)

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
AnthrSolidSnake said:
I mean, that's if you care about story I guess. Otherwise, PC already has plenty of shooters. Not sure how a random game in the franchise tossed onto PC makes much sense even if you don't care about story.
Prettymuch this. I don't think I ever knew Halo2 was on PC, so this massive gap essentially means that I've nothing to base the series on other than what happened at one, and minuscule snippets from 2 and 3 from peas- Errr, Console friends.

At this point, unless I can marathon the games, there's really no reason for a PC player to buy into the series at this point, as I felt the series was straight up going downhill since 2, with an improvement at Reach. Never touched four though.

Delmarvelous

Oct 31, 2012
Think Halo 2 did make it to PC..but after a lengthy and unnecessary delay. It was used to prop up the XBOX with more exclusivity. Xbox version was out in 2004 and the PC released in 2007. By that time, my interest in the franchise was dead. That set up of console first or only development that irked me and I still think that's why I never played the sequel.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Would love it if it did, but I cannot see it happening.

I mean, lets be honest here: Halo is pretty much all that the Xbox has at this point. Take away Halo, and the Xbox goes kaput. If Microsoft decides to port Halo to the PC, then there will be pretty much very little reason to actually get an Xbox One over a PC, and Microsoft needs every advantage that they can get to push their hardware, especially with the PS4 being where it is in the market.

Of course, though, you could argue that it would just open the market to those who wouldn't have purchased an Xbox One, anyway, and that would be true, but it would just depend on whether or not the extra sales would be worth their console losing their biggest advantage.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
AnthrSolidSnake said:
Yeah, if they'd ported Halo 3 to PC within a year of it being released I would have bought it as a day 1 purchase. Now? I'll probably pass on Halo 5. To be honest I'd be more likely to buy a the Halo Anniversary remastered version of CE for PC, but they didn't bother porting it either.

JonB

Don't Take Crap from Life
Sep 16, 2012
Plenty of chance of it being a hot, buggy mess too.

You can quote me on that.

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
I would be very glad to see the rest of the halo games on pc, especially ODST. Halo 2 and the Orange Box were the first games I got immediately after I got a windows vista pc that could handle them. Let's be honest, though: it probably won't happen and even if it did it would have some crappy drm rather than just using steam.

I just bought a used copy of reach so I could go through the story mode and let me tell you: I suck at fps with a controller (never was able to beat halo 3). Also, I remember using a trainer in the story mode of the original halo on pc: in that game I could stop time and it made the whole thing so much more fun. There's nothing quite like running circles around enemies while throwing sticky grenades and just watching as you reactivate time. I also blew myself to the edge of the skybox once, too. Man, I love cheating in single player.

I'm also really interested to see what the modding community could really do with the halo games (besides strip out the assets to put in other games: spartan armor as powered armor in fallout 4 would be sweet).

I think the best route would be to go with a bungie collection (1-3 and odst), while putting out four at a discount price and then 5 at full price. It'd be pretty nice to play halo wars with a proper control scheme, too.

And to think, most of my interest in the series comes from red vs blue: I don't even touch the multiplayer crap.

thewatergamer

Aug 4, 2012
If it comes to PC and it's a good game and a good port, I'll give it a shot, though I'm not 100% certain that he knows what he's talking about...buisnesswise I mean, the reason Halo isn't on PC isn't because it would be too hard to port it, it's because Micro$oft don't want to let there flagship franchise deviate from the Xbox brand, I could be wrong, and I hope I am, but I'll believe it when I see the official confirmation from Micro$oft

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Yeeeeeah. Let me go pick up the latest installation of a story-driven franchise on a platform that hasn't seen that franchise's last three major releases- especially after the utter pile of shit that was Halo 2's PC port. I'll get right on that.

Wait, multiplayer? I've heard some bad, bad things about how you guys treated the MCC release.

JonB said:
Plenty of chance of it being a hot, buggy mess too.

You can quote me on that.
Done and done!

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
I have no intention on getting it if 343 deliberately gimps it to only work on Windows 10 like whomever did so with Halo 2 and Vista.