DazBurger said:
The Amazing Tea Alligator said:
DazBurger said:
dogstile said:
dogstile said:
Yeesh Halo Wars, what an abysmally shitty end for Ensemble. RIP guys.
I'll be honest, they did a decent job of it. Halo wars is one of the most fun pick up and play RTS's i've played
If you ask me, it was insultingly simple. Not to mention that the console can't do rts controls for shit. There a trillion better rts's out there, all of Ensemble's previous, better games included.
Insultingly simple? Pray tell, how does a game being simple insult you?
Ensemble has made some good RTS games. Between the lack of any real economy or diplomacy, nor a detailed combat system, it's simply quite dull. If it weren't for the production value, it's about as deep as a movie-based video game. It's like Microsoft expected the game to sell and do well with critics. The trully mindboggling thing is that it did.

In conclusion, I suppose that it isn't really the game that's insulting (although it is VERY sad that Halo Wars was Ensembles last farewall), but rather it's reception.
An RTS dont need economics nor diplomacy. Just look at the C&C games, Warcraft and Starcraft.
No Economics no diplomacy just pure combat and tactics.
Those games aren't combat and tactics. Men of War is combat and tactics. Those games are rock paper scissors, micro, and build orders. Nothing wrong with that, it's just not interesting or deep enough to hold my interest.
But Halo Wars isn't just doing a bad job holding your interest, its downright insulting?
Yes, but as I said above it's more the reception that's insulting. It's insulting that a game like Halo Wars can exist, not only be made by a great Ensemble Studios but be their final farewell, and that there are critics that can give it an 8.4 with a straight face. The world is a wrong, worrying, and downright insulting place.
ok for a console RTS it was pretty dam good. That being said i think if they would of made it for the PC and 360 it would have done alot better.
I find that lowering your standards so that something passes them is never a good idea.
i didnt lower my standards i just learned how to use the not to RTS friendly controler the game was good. if it would of been for the PC it would have worked alot better but it is still a dam good RTS.

Devil's Due

Sep 27, 2008
PoisonUnagi said:
Wait... is there a point to this, or is it a nostalgic send-off to a franchise that didn't live up to the standards of its competitors?
Don't know about you, but Halo surpassed all my standards for video games, except ODST. If you don't like the news article, don't read it man.

On topic, I miss RvB. Dang the ending made me sad. Hope they make a ninth season with Reach. It's just too amusing with those guys.

zwober

Nov 20, 2009
Sonic Doctor said:
And over those years I made tweeks to it like finally up grading to XP and adding a good graphics card and RAM.

---
Yeah, if Halo was released on only Mac, there probably would have only been one game, and it would have been forgotten about.
well, thats the advantage of the PC atm, it can be upgraded. apples view on that is a bit harsh. "oh - so you want to use another serviceprovider then , do you ? - well, in that case, you have to jailbreak your phone, since we dont allow it straight from the bat!

ofc, the iphone is not related to the laptops/desktops of mac. but i still think its a valid point. however, it feels as if Apple is trying to control the market on parts for their computers, something that can be.. well, economically benefical, but at the same time, hazardous for the customerbase. however, i guess that most Mac-users are used to not being able to fix something easily.

im not so sure that Halo wouldent have been a flop on the mac, just because its mainly ported to the mac tho - i think it would have more to do with the way that the halo-franchise treated the pc after launch.

what im saying is, ms did something rather odd with Halo2, they almost forced on their new "games for windows life", something that didint (as i recall) work properly and Forced you to have that program running. today, thats not a problem, since we all are acustomed to Steam and gfwl to an extent, but it felt as if ms choice to bundle it with Halo2 was a poor one.

The lack of sales meant that we didint get to see Halo3 for the pc, nor any other Halo-game from then after. aaand ofc, with the release of the x360 - why would you even Want to own a stupid pc, right ?..

it would have been interresting to visit the alternative universe, where Bungie used the PC-platform as a Judas-system, letting them all find all the bugs before they released it for the mac. you know, like IDsoftware did with quake 3 Arena.

dthree

Hey!
Jun 13, 2008
If microsoft had not acquired Bungie, Halo would have been released simultaneously on Mac and Windows. Although rumor has it might not have ever released since they weren't in great financial shape and that was part of the motivation for agreeing to the acquisition.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
zwober said:
The lack of sales meant that we didint get to see Halo3 for the pc, nor any other Halo-game from then after. aaand ofc, with the release of the x360 - why would you even Want to own a stupid pc, right ?..
Or you could just have your XBox 360 fitted into your PC case with your super geewhiz PC (Referring to the latest ENN episode). I thought they were kidding when they mentioned that, until I looked at the link to Origin site. That would be interesting having a liquid cooled XBox 360 in my computer. The PC is just wicked. Of course expensive. With the bare minimum over $7000, and fully loaded at $17000. Hmmm, buy a new car or a super computer.

Colonel Alzheimer's

Jan 3, 2010
AvauntVanguard said:
A welcome sacrifice. District 9 was a damn good movie.
I'm inclined to agree. I don't get the fascination with turning games in to movies at all. To me it implies that interactive mediums can't tell a good story, which really lowers the standards of the game industry.
Also District 9 was really awesome.

zwober

Nov 20, 2009
Sonic Doctor said:
zwober said:
Or you could just have your XBox 360 fitted into your PC case with your super geewhiz PC (Referring to the latest ENN episode). I thought they were kidding when they mentioned that, until I looked at the link to Origin site. That would be interesting having a liquid cooled XBox 360 in my computer. The PC is just wicked. Of course expensive. With the bare minimum over $7000, and fully loaded at $17000. Hmmm, buy a new car or a super computer.

gee, i guess i could do that.. or i could just get my hands on a working form of a X360-emulator, thus removing the whole need for a dual-system. one could wish, right ?

ill let the xbox be where it´s at. i just miss the potential i felt for Halo when i saw the first videos and the like.

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
idiot445 said:
BloodSquirrel said:
idiot445 said:
I was hoping for a timeline that explained the quirky differences between games. Like why'd pistols lose the zoom function, and when did Warthogs actually become destructible? Were there scope shortages, and did the Warthogs get redesigned by the Ford Pinto team?
If you're wondering how Master Chief eats and breathes- or other science facts- you should just repeat to yourself "It's just a game, I should really just relax."
That isn't it at all. I can totally suspend my disbelief about that. I'm more thinking basic continuity. The weapons in the first and second game I think are the same and yet function differently. I find it funny to think about stuff like that which has no explanation in the story whatever.
That's true, also why Reach is set before the first Halo, yet there are more weapons and better functioning weapons than the third Halo.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
It always makes me sad hearing about the guys who wouldn't let go of Halo 2... I remember hearing the news of people still playing after they shut it off and then watching the numbers slowly dwindle...

Little Duck said:
I bet you any money bungie will do another Halo game. Perhaps not within the next year or so, but give it a few years.
After Reach sold that much that fast? Yeah, there's no doubt in my mind that this isn't the last of Halo.

calder

Aug 16, 2010
they always say it's the last halo game and then they go and make another one like two years later. I just pray to god that they use the chief cause these last two just don't compare.

BizRodian

Nov 10, 2007
And I've still yet to play it. I remember eagerly anticipating it when it was a PC title, watching the video previews and all that. After Microsoft bought it out, it became a totally different game from what I can gather. Oh well, I think a lot of others are happy with how it all turned out.