Halo Wars Demo

AceDiamond

New member
Jul 7, 2008
2,293
0
0
Indigo_Dingo said:
AceDiamond said:
blinkgun96 said:
Khell_Sennet said:
D_987 said:
You do realise that this game was not made by Bungie - it was made by Ensemble, right?
Yes, and it's been pointed out to me before. But Bungie owns the IP. Microsoft may pull their strings, Ensemble may be making Halo Wars, but Halo is Bungie's product.
I would just like to point out for all to hear that Halo was originally planned to be an RTS
Nobody ever remembers that fact at all.
Thats because it is an irrelevance. Jaws was originally meant to show the shark far more, and have it as a gory action movie rather than building suspense so masterfully. However, the machine kept breaking, so the it became a suspenseful classic. It is still a suspenseful classic, and does not work as an action movie.
...Ok I'm going to have to see a source on that.
 

awsome117

New member
Jan 27, 2009
937
0
0
As a person who knows Halo Wars a lot(not to brag) i will answer some questions that i think need answers.

1. Q.No pc version!? WTF A. Halo Wars is meant to bring about a new age for consol RTS gaming. it is meant so you can play an RTS, without having to play on a pc. making a port or pc version would destroy the very purpose of halo wars.

2. Q.flood in MP!? A. sadly, no. the flood will not be a playable faction in-game. i would say more, but i dont know how to make those spolior post things.

3.this one isnt a question, but more of a reminder. ES is shutting down after the release of halo wars. so dont expect a halo 2 for a while. but, most are moving to a new studio thankfully.

any other questions? i will gladly answer
 

D_987

New member
Jun 15, 2008
4,839
0
0
awsome117 said:
As a person who knows Halo Wars a lot(not to brag) i will answer some questions that i think need answers.

1. Q.No pc version!? WTF A. Halo Wars is meant to bring about a new age for consol RTS gaming. it is meant so you can play an RTS, without having to play on a pc. making a port or pc version would destroy the very purpose of halo wars.

2. Q.flood in MP!? A. sadly, no. the flood will not be a playable faction in-game. i would say more, but i dont know how to make those spolior post things.

3.this one isnt a question, but more of a reminder. ES is shutting down after the release of halo wars. so dont expect a halo 2 for a while. but, most are moving to a new studio thankfully.

any other questions? i will gladly answer
Just to let you know; that infomation has been well documented (particularly 1 and 3).
 

awsome117

New member
Jan 27, 2009
937
0
0
D_987 said:
awsome117 said:
As a person who knows Halo Wars a lot(not to brag) i will answer some questions that i think need answers.

1. Q.No pc version!? WTF A. Halo Wars is meant to bring about a new age for consol RTS gaming. it is meant so you can play an RTS, without having to play on a pc. making a port or pc version would destroy the very purpose of halo wars.

2. Q.flood in MP!? A. sadly, no. the flood will not be a playable faction in-game. i would say more, but i dont know how to make those spolior post things.

3.this one isnt a question, but more of a reminder. ES is shutting down after the release of halo wars. so dont expect a halo 2 for a while. but, most are moving to a new studio thankfully.

any other questions? i will gladly answer
Just to let you know; that infomation has been well documented (particularly 1 and 3).
forgive me, i just skimmed the thread and saw these issues and made answers for.
 

Arcyde

New member
Nov 16, 2008
898
0
0
i REALLY love it!


i didn't even excpect it to be that great.


EDIT: i also have never really played or liked any rts's before (other than a command and conquer demo)
 

D_987

New member
Jun 15, 2008
4,839
0
0
awsome117 said:
forgive me
No...


Instead your going to have to tell me in excruciatingly painful detail all about the flood, because although they have been mentioned; nothing has been explained on how you play as them, what you control etc... =)
 

awsome117

New member
Jan 27, 2009
937
0
0
D_987 said:
awsome117 said:
forgive me
No...


Instead your going to have to tell me in excruciatingly painful detail all about the flood, because although they have been mentioned; nothing has been explained on how you play as them, what you control etc... =)
i guess you misunderstood me, as the flood is not a playable faction for the game. I want to say more, but i dont know how to put the spolior thing around my post
 

D_987

New member
Jun 15, 2008
4,839
0
0
awsome117 said:
D_987 said:
awsome117 said:
forgive me
No...


Instead your going to have to tell me in excruciatingly painful detail all about the flood, because although they have been mentioned; nothing has been explained on how you play as them, what you control etc... =)
i guess you misunderstood me, as the flood is not a playable faction for the game. I want to say more, but i dont know how to put the spolior thing around my post
Oh =(

I guess I did. I'll send you a message in a minute explaining how.
 

Gamer137

New member
Jun 7, 2008
1,204
0
0
I played the tutorials and tried the first level. Gave up when I realised how annoying it was to aim at anything. RTS games do not belong on consoles. You need a frickin' mouse! I would have bought it if it was a PC game, but everyone who said this game was going to revolutionize the console RTS was only dreaming.
 

awsome117

New member
Jan 27, 2009
937
0
0
well, thanks to D_987, i now know how to make spolier posts.

the flood will appear in the campaign, how far in the campaign is un-known at the moment. I really don't know why they are in campaign, I was always opposed to them being in all together. But, they also appear in some skirmish maps as an abient life force that will attack you if they see you. For those that have played the demo, they will most likly be like the URF(the random ememies you guys saw when you went to make a new base) that will attack you when you come within range.

also, I very much enjoyed the demo =)
 

D_987

New member
Jun 15, 2008
4,839
0
0
Gormers1 said:
Please less rants and more comments on how the demo actually was.
The demo was fantastic.

=P

Nah, I'm not that cruel - The demo allows you to play a couple of story mode missions, and offers a skirmish mode (with local co-op) with basic and advanced tutorials.

The controls are what shine on this game. A lot of people (myself included) had doubts as to how they would successfully implement an RTS on the 360 controller. Effectively, you have the 2 triggers for "Call all units","Call local units". X and A are used to select and move the units you wish. A can be held, allowing you to manually select units at any time.

The combat is great to watch; you don't have much impact on it, besides ordering certain squads to shoot at certain places. Your squads also have different powers - such as throwing frags, running over enemies in Warthogs.

The game certainly feels like Halo, the sound effects are great and the graphics give a "mature" Halo look. Halo 3 appeared slightly cartooney, but Halo wars looks sleek and modern.
 

D_987

New member
Jun 15, 2008
4,839
0
0
Gamer137 said:
I played the tutorials and tried the first level. Gave up when I realised how annoying it was to aim at anything. RTS games do not belong on consoles. You need a frickin' mouse! I would have bought it if it was a PC game, but everyone who said this game was going to revolutionize the console RTS was only dreaming.
Perhaps your not used to a controller?

For someone like me, who has always played games on a console, I found the controls easy to use. Did you edit the options, possibly editing the "stickiness" effect?
 

awsome117

New member
Jan 27, 2009
937
0
0
Gamer137 said:
I played the tutorials and tried the first level. Gave up when I realised how annoying it was to aim at anything. RTS games do not belong on consoles. You need a frickin' mouse! I would have bought it if it was a PC game, but everyone who said this game was going to revolutionize the console RTS was only dreaming.
odd, everyone of my friends who has tried and played the demo says they never once said "god, i wish i had a mouse"

even the hardcore pc player ones said the controls were good
 

Bowstring

New member
May 30, 2008
286
0
0
D_987 said:
Gamer137 said:
I played the tutorials and tried the first level. Gave up when I realised how annoying it was to aim at anything. RTS games do not belong on consoles. You need a frickin' mouse! I would have bought it if it was a PC game, but everyone who said this game was going to revolutionize the console RTS was only dreaming.
Perhaps your not used to a controller?

For someone like me, who has always played games on a console, I found the controls easy to use. Did you edit the options, possibly editing the "stickiness" effect?
Same. I found the controls to be absolutely fine.

I've got no complaints about the demo really. I'm just dubious as to how replayable the game will be; it doesn't seem very huge and expansive. But these ARE only first impressions; the demo may not reveal everything. I've still got to sink my teeth into multiplayer too, so I'll see how it goes.
 

bad rider

The prodigal son of a goat boy
Dec 23, 2007
2,252
0
0
115 votes totaled a 0.8 out of 10 on meta critic. Wait what do you mean it hasn't been released yet and there are retarded fanboys out there?

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/xbox360/halowars#users
 

acer840

(Insert Awesome Title)
Oct 21, 2020
353
1
1
Country
Australia
Wait, if Ensemble is disbanded, does that mean the end of the Age Of Empires series? Halo Wars looks good, but I said that about AoE3 as well. I'll download the demo as soon as I can, I just hope Ensemble made thier last product thier best.
 

Gamer137

New member
Jun 7, 2008
1,204
0
0
D_987 said:
Gamer137 said:
I played the tutorials and tried the first level. Gave up when I realised how annoying it was to aim at anything. RTS games do not belong on consoles. You need a frickin' mouse! I would have bought it if it was a PC game, but everyone who said this game was going to revolutionize the console RTS was only dreaming.
Perhaps your not used to a controller?
I am primarally a console gamer, not PC. I have plenty of controller experience. I am not saying that aiming was impossible, but it was more difficult then it should be because mice are more percise then sticks. I don't mind using controllers in a typical shooter. the difference between the two are very small. But due to the large maps, small troops, and up-down perspective of RTS games, the difference in persision is much more obvious. I am not trying to say the game is horrible, but I am willing to boycott it because the developers did not put it on the right system for me, and they will not see one red cent because of it.
 

fat american

New member
Apr 2, 2008
250
0
0
I don't know what you guys are complainging about I thought the C&C 3 controls were good on the console.
 

awsome117

New member
Jan 27, 2009
937
0
0
Gamer137 said:
D_987 said:
Gamer137 said:
I played the tutorials and tried the first level. Gave up when I realised how annoying it was to aim at anything. RTS games do not belong on consoles. You need a frickin' mouse! I would have bought it if it was a PC game, but everyone who said this game was going to revolutionize the console RTS was only dreaming.
Perhaps your not used to a controller?
I am a primarally a console gamer, not PC. I have plenty of controller experience. I am not saying that aiming was impossible, but it was more difficult then it should be because mice or more percise then sticks. I don't mind using controllers in a typical shooter. the difference between the two are very small. But due to the large maps, small troops, and up-down perspective of RTS games, the difference in persision is much more obvious. I am not trying to say the game is horrible, but I am willing to boycott it because the developers did not put it on the right system.
Again, i will state the whole point of making the game was to make a good RTS for the consol with no pc port or anything releated to the pc.