Halo's "Reclaimer Trilogy" Expands Into A Saga

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
afroebob said:
Vrex360 said:
With almost no one in the game questioning it and it never being explored again.
They said it in the beginning of the game, it is a rogue branch of ex-Covenant soldiers. I mean, if you don't know at some point in time, especially after a war, most branches of the military have SOME kind of people going rogue. Not to mention there are far more than just Elites in the Storm Covenant.

Anyhow, I could have seen a new trilogy, but I don't know about a saga. That's just too fucking much, there wont be enough story for it to work with.
It was like one throw away line though.

Chief: "I thought we had a truce with the Covenant*"
Cortana: "A lot can happen in Four Years."

And that's it. There's like one other line about how they aren't outfitted like regular military and that they are more fanatical than usual but that's all we get. No mention of the Arbiter, no mention of the political state of affairs between human and covenant species. It's like everything that happened in Halo 2 and 3 is utterly negated and forgotten about. When on the Infinity Masterchief never bothers to ask anyone what these guys are doing here and just to make it even more obnoxious they are still referred to as 'The Covenant' even though the Covenant was supposed to be defeated. If they were referred to as 'the Storm' at least that would separate them from the actual covenant empire, as it stands now it's just confusing and really disappointing considering all the directions they could have taken this.

*No chief, you had allied with the Elites. Remember? They were not a part of the Covenant anymore.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Most series have a point where sales start dropping off (Uncharted, Gears and God Of War all started posting lesser sales around the third or fourth instalment), and it looks to me like we're starting to see the same thing happen to Halo. I'm sure it will sell well for the forseeable future, but I'm not sure it's going to remain the juggernaut it's always been.
Halo may be somewhat insulated from that, as a lot of the appeal is multiplayer. I know the other franchises hacve multiplayer, but it's an afterthought in two cases and admitted shite in the case of Gears, whereas MP has been a serious focus for Halo and Halo fans alike. There is a mentality that Multiplayer is needed for "replay value," but people seem to tire of it unless it's Halo or CoD.

It'll be interesting to see if it has enough steam to meet their expectations of a "saga," though, because there's a decent chance it doesn't.

I think one of the big problems here, though is that a lot of these games were planned as one-offs or trilogies. Uncharted and Gears stretched to have enough plot for 3, so trying to expand them further is insane and probably failure bound. expect Halo to suffer from this somewhat, with the "MAster Chief's story is over...Wait, don't leave, we were just kidding!" but at the same time, a MP-driven game is a MP-driven game.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
The series practically died for me with Reach but I felt like it was a worthy ending to it. Of course 343 Industries took over and their first act in 2011 was the Forerunner Trilogy. This was followed by the "new" additions to story of Halo: CE in Anniversary and again followed by Halo 4. So sod 343 Industries, they can milk this series to death for all I care at this point.

A lot of fans hated on Ensemble for some really stupid things in Halo Wars and I don't see 343 receiving punishment for their sins, I guess the Halo fanbase has became accustomed to them or something because they're Bungie.

So I predict this:
Halo: CE
Halo 2
Halo 3
Halo Wars
Halo 3: ODST
Halo: Reach
Halo: CE Anniversary
Halo 4
Halo 5
Halo 6
Halo 7: Faff
Halo 8: The Next Generation
Halo 9
Halo 10: Stagnation happened 15 odd years ago.

Chaos Isaac

Jun 27, 2013
Having played four, I can confidently say, this is going to be terrible for the Halo franchise. Stretching things out is /rarely/ a good thing. Let's just look at Halo 3 for an example of that. And to be honest, the Didact is a pretty one note villain who is terrible.

I'll be watching to see how badly things get.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Chaos Isaac said:
Having played four, I can confidently say, this is going to be terrible for the Halo franchise. Stretching things out is /rarely/ a good thing. Let's just look at Halo 3 for an example of that. And to be honest, the Didact is a pretty one note villain who is terrible.

I'll be watching to see how badly things get.
The Didact will apparently be back in Halo 5 despite the sheer power of that one quick time event Chief used. /sigh