Halp. Ponies.

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
solemnwar said:
Daystar Clarion said:
And so, another is lost to the herd...

Soon, it seems, only me and Fappy will remain.

We won't be able to repopulate, but we will try regardless.
Don't worry Daystar, I am not a fan of the show.
And I'm female! =D
Wait.
shit

*flee*
Oh look everybody, Daystar has scared another women away from the boards again. (sigh)

redmoretrout

Oct 27, 2011
I tried to watch the show recently thinking it must be an ironic self parody of itself. But it seems the show takes itself seriously (or at least does not seem to be a parody). The humor and characters are appropriately enough are aimed at children.

I wish I got the appeal of the show, as I am always looking for new shows that I'll enjoy. But I really do not understand the appeal of it.

Aris Khandr

Oct 6, 2010
My favorite ponies are Fluttershy and Rarity. I had Fluttershy as my avatar for a little while, and I now have Rarity's cutey mark as a pin on my purse. I guess whichever I own a plush of first wins.

Lord Garnaat

Apr 10, 2012
Another convert to add to our grand Collective! Welcome brother! Our order grows strong, and can grow only stronger! Soon we shall reach our true destiny as the chosen people of the Internet, when we spread to every corner of this wretched hive and restore harmony! Ponies are the true light in the darkness of this fetid pit we call an Internet, the harbingers of the One True Path! All people shall embrace Bronyhood, and when the last vestige of hate and chaos falls, we shall be FREE!

LOVE FOR THE LOVE GOD!

FRIENDS FOR THE FRIENDSHIP!

D-Class 198482

Jul 17, 2012
I haven't honestly watched the show but I was considering seeing what all the fuss was about before something by the name of "Gordon Freemane" knocked me back into my indifferent state.
[sub]i have seen tiny clips of it and it doesn't seem very bad but not very good[/sub]

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
I reckon the genius of MLP is the design and animation, the pony's are cute in their slick style (and they look a little anime to me) without looking so childish it's painful like the care bears. The show also has a sweet charm to it I don't see any more on TV or the movies, it really can be heart warming with the learning and understanding.

That wasn't enough to make interested though. It was when I decided to watch another Youtube vid someone posted up on this forum to give it a second chance, that's when I saw Rarity explaining what whining is, and that was really good writing so I decided to go through all the episodes.

I'm not a brony though. I only liked half the episodes of the 1st season, and already by season 2 the writers had changed and become worse so now I don't follow it any more.

Out of all the pony's, Twilight and Rarity stood out the most to me.

FatalFox

Jan 18, 2012
Dangit2019 said:
Call me late to the party, but I saw yesterday that every episode of Mlp:FiM was uploaded commercial free to YouTube, so I decided to open up my personal Pandora's box and watch the first few episodes. Little did I know that I had gone too deep, and now I'm have to watch the next episode regardless of any feelings towards doing so. It seems that I've become a brony overnight, and I'm scared now. (hold me)

So, Escapists, describe how you got hooked on the world of ponydom. How did you watch it, when did you watch it, and why.

btw Twilight Sparkle is by far the best pony. Deal with it.
Welcome to the herd, lol.
And I got into it basically how you got into watching it, although with a lot of...reinforcement from my buddies.
three four episodes in and I think you know if the show is something for you, although I think season 2 and 3 has lowered the barrier or entry by somehow maturing their writing and jokes with the audience and still keeping it fun and lighthearted.
Keep watching man, you won't regret it ;)

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
I got bored while I was drawing one evening so started it up on my second screen and before I knew it my drawing was finished and about the entire season 1 had gone by.

Then I watched the first 2 of the second season and I found I was really impressed by it all.

So it sits in my library of 'things to watch while I work'.

I'm not a brony, I've been completely unabashed at watching cartoons and cartoons that might not fit my demographic for as long as I've lived. It's another good cartoon.

Thistlehart

Nov 10, 2010
Dude, it's cool. I came into the fandom via PMVs on Youtube and a bunch of cracked out edits. I had the see the source material, just to know for sure the why behind the funny.

Been hooked ever since.

I just have to sort out this Best Pony issue that seems to have arisen.

217not237

Nov 9, 2011
I honestly don't remember how I found out about the brony master race. It's kind of like The Beatles-- you just know about it at this point, nobody cares about how. It really took me a few episodes to see how great it was though. I thought it was fine, but then OBSESSION!!!

Kotaro

Desdinova's Successor
Feb 3, 2009
I'm a bit neutral about the show. It's something that I can enjoy if I catch it, but not something that I'd go out of my way to watch. I can see how it's become so huge, and I can appreciate the work put into it, but it's not exactly for me.

Aglynugga

Jul 25, 2010
No Hope.
No hope now.
The stars die in the sky. They flicker and fade and pass from our sight.
Nothing but darkness all about us, and it takes shape, molds itself from the forgotten and wished away.
Now we are but a few, as the shadows cover this world, and all light and love is swept away.
There is but one way to cure, one way to save what we have left. One way to cleanse ourselves, our souls, our dying world.
We must use Fire. And We must Burn the Darkness away.
We must Purify with Flame.
We will be cleansed.

Little Woodsman

Nov 11, 2012
Dangit2019 said:
Call me late to the party, but I saw yesterday that every episode of Mlp:FiM was uploaded commercial free to YouTube, so I decided to open up my personal Pandora's box and watch the first few episodes. Little did I know that I had gone too deep, and now I'm have to watch the next episode regardless of any feelings towards doing so. It seems that I've become a brony overnight, and I'm scared now. (hold me)

So, Escapists, describe how you got hooked on the world of ponydom. How did you watch it, when did you watch it, and why.

Okay--You're late to the party!
Aaaanyway, despite having a daughter of appropriate age for watching the show, and the fact
that one of my best friends was a fan (she's loved every iteration since she was a little
filly), I didn't pay much attention to it. Then there was a very humorous thread here on the
escapist--the title was "have you ever had someone walk in while you were...you know?" and
of course when you opened the thread the "you know" was--watching My Little Pony. Got a good
laugh, had some time to kill that afternoon (almost never happens for a single parent)
& decided to see what the fuss was about. Less than 2 minutes in to the first episode I
paused to send an email to my friend who was already a fan, saying "This show is already
*amazing*!". Watched the first two episodes. Loved them. A little pink-maned palomino pony
stole my heart with her shyness and kindness. Another character caused the
'papa bear' in me to come out with a moment when she looked absolutely terrified--causing
me to love that character forever. Due to time constraints it took me almost two weeks to
catch up with what the series had to that point (they were about 8 episodes in). In that
time I saw amazing things. Hardcore fan ever since.
BTW; I think you are approaching the question of "best pony" incorrectly. I tend to think
of it as Fwuttershy is the most "Awww" pony; Twilight is the smartest pony: Rarity is the
most glam pony; Rainbow Dash is the most Awesome pony; Pinkie is the most Fun pony; Luna
is the most "needs a hug" pony; Celestia is the most Majestic pony etc...etc...

TriGGeR_HaPPy

Another Regular. ^_^
May 22, 2008
Glad to see how well this thread is doing, first and foremost. ^_^

As for how I got hooked, it was back in late April last year, 2011. I hadn't even heard of the pony craze until a thread here on The Escapist. It had devolved pretty much into a massive warzone, but still had quite a few people on both sides genuinely arguing their positions in a non-flaming manner... Always nice to see. :D

Anyway, I read through the whole thread because I hadn't heard of the craze before, but according to the thread it was apparently some big thing... Someone ended up posting a link to S1E4, Applebuck Season, which I watched, very curious to see what the deal was.
Skip until the end of the week, and I had watched every ep that I could (at that point, there were only about 17(?) eps of season 1 out). I've kept up with it ever since. :D

Also, I'm a fan of everypony in the mane 6. And Celestia and Luna. And... Yeah, you get the point.
... But Applejack is best pony.

Overusedname

Emcee: the videogame video guy
Jun 26, 2012
I wish I could say the process was a complicated epic of self-discovery and acceptance, but I basically applied logic to the situation. A bunch of grown adults enjoyed this show. They had for about a year with no sign of slowing down. There must be reason.

Then I tried. I also started a local infection. Not one person I've revealed the show to has not enjoyed it.

Vladimir Eremeyev

Sep 23, 2012
During our usual cold as hell Russian winter nights I had nothing to do.
Out of the boredom(and unable to go anywhere, because, you know, -60 Celsius is kinda cold) I decided to check what the fuzz is all about.
IT TOOK ADVANTAGE OF ME!!

Giftfromme

Nov 3, 2011
Dangit2019 said:

poeknees shal halp u

LtFerret

Jun 4, 2009
lacktheknack said:
Thanks!

I can't tell you, it's a secret... >:D
Pfft, every thread simulator video uses that song. You should use some Super Mario World songs instead,

Also Spike is clearly the best character on the show
Dragons > Horses

Jfswift

Hmm.. what's this button do?
Nov 2, 2009
Haha, same as you. I kept hearing about it so I checked out a few episodes on YouTube. It's not a bad show really. Fluttershy ftw :3