Hands-On: Dead or Alive: Dimensions

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Hands-On: Dead or Alive: Dimensions

Fighting game fans have more than Street Fighter to look forward to on the 3DS.

If launch window [http://www.amazon.com/Super-Street-Fighter-IV-Nintendo-3DS/dp/B002I0IVC4/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1295529183&sr=8-7], it'd be a real shame. I might be even more excited about Dead or Alive: Dimensions.

Dimensions brings Dead or Alive to a Nintendo system for the first time. Along with Street Fighter, it was another 3DS title at that showed me [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107099-Hands-On-Super-Street-Fighter-IV-3D-Edition] we'll have to start reconsidering our view of what a handheld can bring to the table.

[gallery=93]

The game features 20+ characters, including at least one brand new addition, for what I was told will be the biggest roster of any Dead or Alive game. Each character can be still customized with many costume unlocks. The 3DS has an advantage for players that want to try out every character because while the top screen is used for the action, the bottom screen features a move and combo list in addition to touch controls for hold, throw, and guard. Performing moves in Dead or Alive requires much more than quarter circles and charge moves, so this is very helpful.

If you're worried about not having played any of the previous Dead or Alive titles, Dimensions actually covers the entire story from Dead or Alive 4 [http://www.amazon.com/Dead-Alive-Ultimate-Xbox/dp/B0000AI1KE/ref=sr_1_4?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1295531687&sr=1-4], in addition to new content. Cutscenes tie each level together, with your fighter perhaps jumping on a helicopter after her win.

Dimensions also includes 15 stages, which are definitely a big part of the game's allure. I really felt like the 3D effect mattered in Dimensions' case, making these stages pop out as the fighters quickly moved around while beating each other up. A contributing factor to this is how the stages are so dynamic, featuring snow and other environmental factors. One stage I played was on a rope bridge, with fighters able to knock each other off onto the ground below. During scenes like this, Dimensions is definitely a title that shows off the 3DS's capabilities well.

Tecmo Koei America senior vice president Amos Ip also revealed something quite surprising. Dead or Alive: Dimensions will feature a Metroid: Other M [http://www.amazon.com/Metroid-Other-M-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B002BSC4ZS/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1295532240&sr=1-1]-themed level. When I asked if this hinted toward Samus as a secret character in Dimensions, no confirmation was given, but I'd say there's a chance.

Ip said that Dimensions was developed as the ultimate game for Dead or Alive fans and will include 1000+ figurines and other collectibles. Like Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition, it also features the ability to fight online. For fans that want a more technical 3DS fighting game, it looks like Dead or Alive: Dimensions is going to be the best choice for now. Sadly, I asked if this means that we'll see a 3DS version of Dead or Alive Xtreme [http://www.amazon.com/Dead-Alive-Xtreme-2-Xbox-360/dp/B000HKKM2Y/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1295532632&sr=1-1] in the future, but was denied.

Tiswas

Jun 9, 2010
I wonder if this is that big Metroid reveal that Jonathon Ross mentioned.

brumley53

Oct 19, 2009
Anyone else think it's funny that the 3DS already has more "Hardcore" games than the wii?

Moriarty70

Canucklehead
Dec 24, 2008
All this 3D tech and what do we do with it? Jiggle physics. Laddies and gentlemen, the human race!

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
Cringes at the idea of playing a fighting game with crappy analog thing/ D-pad.

Arcade stick is the ONLY way to play a fighting game, in the same way mouse and keyboard for FPS.

I'm sticking to DOA2 for my Dreamcast (still!).

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
My first (and last) DOA game was DOA2: Hardcore for the PS2. Once you get past the jiggly physics, theres nothing there, IMO. And unfourtunatly, Soul Calibur has already started going in that direction also.

D Moness

Left the building
Sep 16, 2010
I always preferred this game over the street fighter.

Sadly, I asked if this means that we'll see a 3DS version of Dead or Alive Xtreme in the future, but was denied.
lol only good thing about those games were the beach volley ball minigame(others were mostly broke due to poor control.)

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
WanderingFool said:
My first (and last) DOA game was DOA2: Hardcore for the PS2. Once you get past the jiggly physics, theres nothing there, IMO. And unfourtunatly, Soul Calibur has already started going in that direction also.
The one thing I hated about SCIV was how you had to manually change your character's weapon in the character customisation/creation screen rather than just select the weapon you wanted after selecting a character (like in SCII)

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
Vault Citizen said:
WanderingFool said:
The one thing I hated about SCIV was how you had to manually change your character's weapon in the character customisation/creation screen rather than just select the weapon you wanted after selecting a character (like in SCII)
They had to do this because now weapons had special properties or property points you could use to buy abilities in special vs that you'd need to balance out there. THAT said, I don't know why they didn't just chuck that out the window for standard vs but then again I dunno who decided a 13 year old Gothic Lolita should be able to man-handle the entire cast. Then again in number 2 you couldn't pick special weapons in standard vs anyhow now that I think of it.

Bottom line: Balance. The only special properties they had to worry about in SC II were on the weapons, by the time they introduced Create a Soul they had a whole slew of stats to juggle.

WanderingFool said:
I'd advise you to try our DOA 4. How much can it cost you now?

That said I enjoy the DOA series, but I've always had people to play it with. It's good to see Tecmo getting it's hands into DOA again. But a console release or DOA 5 would please me a lot more.

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Terramax said:
Cringes at the idea of playing a fighting game with crappy analog thing/ D-pad.

Arcade stick is the ONLY way to play a fighting game, in the same way mouse and keyboard for FPS.

I'm sticking to DOA2 for my Dreamcast (still!).
I've got to say, the 3DS analog stick might change your mind! It's not an arcade stick, no way, but it's a huge jump over the D-pad.

Feb 13, 2008
Moriarty70 said:
All this 3D tech and what do we do with it? Jiggle physics. Laddies and gentlemen, the human race!
Pr0n makes the world go around. It's lead some of humanity's greatest art, scientific discoveries and bloodiest wars.

Almost every advance we've ever made has been about getting your end away. We propagate, not like rabbits, but like viruses. And when we're not, we're thinking about doing it.

And if you think Mice, Chimps or Dolphins are any different...well...nope.

Moriarty70

Canucklehead
Dec 24, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Moriarty70 said:
Pr0n makes the world go around. It's lead some of humanity's greatest art, scientific discoveries and bloodiest wars.

Almost every advance we've ever made has been about getting your end away. We propagate, not like rabbits, but like viruses. And when we're not, we're thinking about doing it.

And if you think Mice, Chimps or Dolphins are any different...well...nope.
Believe me, I'm well aware of adult/teenaged fancies on technology, I just thought it was funny, espically considering Nintendo's heavy focus on "family" content in the last while. While most parents groups forgive a bit of violence, sexualize something and you will hear about it.

Feb 13, 2008
Moriarty70 said:
Believe me, I'm well aware of adult/teenaged fancies on technology, I just thought it was funny, espically considering Nintendo's heavy focus on "family" content in the last while. While most parents groups forgive a bit of violence, sexualize something and you will hear about it.
Nintendo, who gave us the Italian Plumber chasing a bit of Royal Skirt (from a different race)...
And Pokemon, where the Pokemon have a seduce skill...
"Leave luck in Heaven" indeed...

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
If Samus is indeed in the roster then I'm sold. Though the question is if she'll armored or Zero Suited. Not sure Nintendo would let them get away with jiggle physics on Samus (though she's no stranger to giving fanservice)

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Wait, people actually care about the DoA story?
It was a mess last time i cared about it...

Anyway, at the very least its a fun fighting series, and if Samus IS a secret character then its a purchase for sure.

I just really really REALLY hope she fights in her Power Suit and not the Zero Suit.
The Zero Suit is awesome and all, but id like to be able play this game in public if at all possible. (Slim chance of that, with or without ZS Samus...)

blarghblarghhhhh

Mar 16, 2010
Aiddon said:
If Samus is indeed in the roster then I'm sold. Though the question is if she'll armored or Zero Suited. Not sure Nintendo would let them get away with jiggle physics on Samus (though she's no stranger to giving fanservice)
theres a video floating around of the metroid level with ridley in the background, at the end of the video you clearly see samus in her morph ball form.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
kevo.mf.last said:
Aiddon said:
theres a video floating around of the metroid level with ridley in the background, at the end of the video you clearly see samus in her morph ball form.
I know, I made a thread about it, but isn't a confirmation of her being PLAYABLE. I will say the odds are high because of it.

airrazor7

Nov 8, 2010
brumley53 said:
Anyone else think it's funny that the 3DS already has more "Hardcore" games than the wii?
indeed, it does seem a bit...uncanny. I have to admit though that it is becoming very hard to be skeptical about the system with the strong line-up of games that it has. It almost seems as if every genre of game of all the consoles will be provided by the 3DS.