Hands-on Impressions of PlayStation Move

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
The Move looks like an interesting piece of technology. While I have a Wii, I would rather shell out the extra cash for Move as I never use the Wii. I don't know why, but Nintendo products have never "done" it for me. Maybe it's because it's too "kiddy" or that it feels like a cheap piece of plastic to me so that I'm not getting my money's worth (seriously, the game boxes feel like god-damn cardboard) but I would personally rather want an HD Wii than just this Wii.

Still, I doubt I'm going to get it, at least soon, but it does look like an interesting bit of technology that I would personally invest in. And considering the pretty damn big support line-up [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_compatible_with_PlayStation_Move], I wouldn't be surprised if it made it's way to my house soon...

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Optimystic said:
FinalFreak16 said:
Anyone else get the feeling that Nintendo are working on some secret new industry changing project while watching Sony and Microsoft play catchup with their cheesy accessories without feeling the slightest bit threatened?

Im not even a Nintendo Fan and thats how it looks to me.
Thing is, Nintendo also has to play catch-up - they need a system with some actual horsepower.

(Now that Sony can grab for both the casuals and the hardcore crowd, that is.)
I don't know if you'd call that 'catchup'.

Remember, the Wii is underpowered, but none of Nintendo's consoles since the NES have been.
The Gamecube wasn't exactly underpowered at the time, neither was the N64. Or, for that matter, the SNES.

But still, if this is 'move' in action, then call me unimpressed. It is exactly what I thought it would be, which is to say, not obviously any better than motionplus.

The only thing it has going for it as far as I can see, is the PS3 itself, being more powerful hardware.

(That's easy for someone like me to miss, because I experiment with Wii remotes using my PC.
And like it or not, my PC is more powerful than a PS3 is, so that kind of takes the Wii console itself out of the picture.)

So... As far as I can tell, no obvious advantages over a Wii remote, which leaves us with the matter of 'precision', which I can't judge from a video like that.

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
That was fun. Watching Greg make a fool of himself was great.

I'll wait for Sorcery (Or something better) before I decide to grab a move.

Lord Honk

Mar 24, 2009
And still, nothing that would make me buy a PS3 =/

Dunno, if I want good-looking games, I play on my PC, if I want to move more than my fingers I'll stick to the Wii I already have.

Maybe it's a good idea for people who have a PS3, no Wii, and like to touch glowing balls oO

comadorcrack

The Master of Speilingz
Mar 19, 2009
Zing said:
That's what I'm waiting for. Also I don't think I have enough room in my flat to use the move =/ But I'll see...

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
comadorcrack said:
Zing said:
That's what I'm waiting for. Also I don't think I have enough room in my flat to use the move =/ But I'll see...
Don't think you need that much room do you? I'd have it in my room which is kinda small(and packed with my massive computer desk/drawers and other shit) and I'm pretty sure I'll be able to use it. Just as long as the camera can see you and you aren't breaking shit with your wagglan.

Chameliondude

Jul 21, 2009
Ill buy as soon as killzone 3 or some great rpgs come out for it, i think it could be brilliant but not yet

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
I got it yesterday and so far I've enjoyed it. Though I have a really small bedroom so that's kind of hindered the performance but otherwise I've found it to be pretty cool. Not bad for £50. My niece is going to love the eye pet thing. I played the demo... Though I got bored with the little shit and tried to squash it... Didn't work.

reiem531

Aug 26, 2009
Optimystic said:
FinalFreak16 said:
Anyone else get the feeling that Nintendo are working on some secret new industry changing project while watching Sony and Microsoft play catchup with their cheesy accessories without feeling the slightest bit threatened?

Im not even a Nintendo Fan and thats how it looks to me.
Thing is, Nintendo also has to play catch-up - they need a system with some actual horsepower.
(Now that Sony can grab for both the casuals and the hardcore crowd, that is.)
The 3DS and it's almost Gamecube-looking graphics would like a word with you.

dnadns

Divine Ronin
Jan 20, 2009
Ok, little update with some serious title experience. After enjoying Tumble and (surprisingly) the arcadiness of The Shoot, I went out and bought RE5 (again) to see how it works out. I didn't play the DLC before and so I started out with that one. It took me a good 10 minutes to get into the control scheme (B is much better for me) and some sensitivity tweaking. After that it really starts being a blast. My only gripe is that you have to control the camera with the left stick while aiming and that it doesnt pan if you move the crosshair towards the sides of the screen.
But that minor issue aside, it feels really different and enjoyable, especially having a game like this with some nice graphics.
Only thing to hope for now would be that more bigger titles are coming out and I can see myself playing with the Move quite regularly in the future. At least for all those games that got a more arcade feeling to them, regardless if it is a TPS, FPS or anything else.

As most people love to compare it to the Wii, I can now say with a good chunk of experience, that Move handles a lot better than the Wiimote for me. Especially as I am sitting about 3-4 meters away from the screen and always had minor issues with the distance to the sensor bar, as well as the size of the screen. Even the PS Eye doesn't complain about looking into the projector lens and (most importantly) it works really, really well while sitting comfortably. Now the last one might sound a bit strange, but I always had the issue with the Wiimote that sitting very upright and holding the controller slightly higher was mandatory. The Move on the other hand even works without problem while having my arms rest on the couch.

All in all I would say that the tech is really impressive and does shine as long as the games are good. Now I am really looking forward for more AAA titles with motion support as an alternative input.

Optimystic

Sep 24, 2008
reiem531 said:
The 3DS and it's almost Gamecube-looking graphics would like a word with you.
I'm not talking about the handheld market. They're not releasing titles that make $200M on launch day.

Nintendo's always dominated handheld in any case. That doesn't mean they can afford their console division to fall behind.

Jkudo

Aug 17, 2010
Orthon said:
Looks alright, won't pick it up because if I did, I'd feel it neccesary to get at least another controller in order to play with a friend. I'm not in the mood for spending money on that.

Also, feels like I'm saying something totally obvious here, but is it just me, or is there almost no games planned(or shown yet) for the Move that aren't pretty much minigames? Only one I can think of is Sorcery.

P.S. I know games like Heavy Rain and Killzone 3 will have Move Support, but I meant games made with Move specifically in mind.
Yea right now its only sorcery, the fight(seems real cool but very shallow) and heroes on the move. They need more move required games if they want to sell it. Sorcery does look pretty great as long as it isn't shallow as well.

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
I'll get it later. I'm still a bit unimpressed with both Kinect and Move.

I also do not think it is worth the $100 price tag since it doesn't have any games that interest me.

mrx19869

Jun 17, 2009
sorry but i didnt buy the wii when it came out because it was just and over priced gamecube that you shake a stick at.. The Wii has crappy graphics, and can only do one thing.. I new that the other console makers would come out with their own Wii like controllers in the future. I am glad that i waited, the move works perfectly, its lighter, more responsive and looks way cooler that a Wii controller.. not to mention the camera has multiple functions... and there is no chord connecting the move and the other thing...

PS Move rocks..Wii sucks and soon when more games come out it will be even better.. im sorry you people bought a Wii all those years ago...you should have waited till the technology got better...

Orthon

Mar 28, 2009
Fr33Kye said:
Yea right now its only sorcery, the fight(seems real cool but very shallow) and heroes on the move. They need more move required games if they want to sell it. Sorcery does look pretty great as long as it isn't shallow as well.
Had actually forgotten about heroes on the move. That's the one where they've mashed up lots of different PlayStation characters into one game? The fight I haven't looked at much, but my impression is that it's basically a brawler in which you use the Move to direct your punches?

Jkudo

Aug 17, 2010
Orthon said:
Fr33Kye said:
Had actually forgotten about heroes on the move. That's the one where they've mashed up lots of different PlayStation characters into one game? The fight I haven't looked at much, but my impression is that it's basically a brawler in which you use the Move to direct your punches?
Yes and Yes. I hope they do justice to sly cooper, jak and daxter, and rachet and clank. The fight does look enjoyable, seems very skill oriented, how the game looks depends on how well you play it.

Flamespeak

May 19, 2010
Here's what I got from messing with Move for a few days.

1. The actual hardware is a lot more precise and a lot more comfortable than a Wiimote
2. The Move registers depth amazingly well and it comes into play with games like table tennis and especially Tumble
3. Playing MAG with Move took some getting used to, but when I got the hang of the control scheme the accuracy is insane. It is also very easy to play with without my arm getting tired.
4. You really, really don't need a nav controller. Just having the standard DS controller sitting comfortably in your left hand in an arm rest will do the trick. The navi controller has zero movement potential so it is literally just half a DS controller.

All in all, I feel the same way about Move as I did when the PS3 first launched. It is a great piece of hardware with amazing potential, but only time will tell if it comes into being a major piece of home entertainment. The PS3 pulled through fine, here's hoping Move can take off as well.