Hands-On: Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Hands-On: Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time might be more than a decade old, but Nintendo's 3DS remake is a great refresher.

Some gamers might be upset by the Nintendo's focus on re-releasing Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time [http://www.amazon.com/Legend-Zelda-Ocarina-Time-Nintendo-DS/dp/B003O6E800/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1295548872&sr=1-1] on the 3DS instead of something new. No, it's not a new experience, but after sitting down with it at the Nintendo 3DS event in New York, I found it to be a nice tribute to what many Nintendo fans call the greatest game of all time. Sure, I'll play it again.

The N64 version of Ocarina of Time was released more than 12 years ago, so Ocarina of Time 3D might be the first experience with the title for many players. If you haven't seen any of the game's screenshots yet, Nintendo has significantly upgraded the graphics. The characters' visages are now expressive, rather than looking like Mr. Potato Head [http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00000IW3G/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00061I4U6&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=19MFPSMWJ8VDXAVKBMZG] faces with eyes and mouths pasted on. Enemies, special effects, and even text boxes look better.

[gallery=98]

Overall, the visual change makes Ocarina of Time 3D shinier, and maybe a little more cartoony. It's as if some of Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker [http://www.amazon.com/Legend-Zelda-Wind-Waker-Gamecube/dp/7100027950/ref=sr_1_2?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1295547910&sr=1-2] made its way into Ocarina of Time, but not to the extent that fanboys would complain. I'm not sure that the 3D effect makes that much of a difference, but it's neat nonetheless.

The Jedi mind tricks of Nintendo representatives are stronger than mine, so I wasn't able to get them to confirm extra content, such as dungeons, enemies, items, etc. It wasn't denied, but I was told they weren't talking about it. The only content that will definitely be included is everything from the original Ocarina of Time. I spent some time checking out Kokiri Forest and the inside of the Deku Tree, slashing bushes, throwing rocks, and smacking Deku Babas with sticks. Yep, it's all there.

However, there are a few major additions that Ocarina of Time 3D brings to the table. The touchscreen enables the item screen to be right there at the ready at all times, so players can easily swap in new items without having to pause. This includes health potions, the slingshot, and everything else Link is known for. In addition, four items can now be queued up for quick use, as opposed to the original version's three.

Ocarina of Time 3D also takes advantage of the 3DS's internal gyroscope. When players go into the first-person view mode, they can move the 3DS around and the camera will move throughout Link's environment, as if you're actually holding the sides of Link's head and moving it around. This feature also works when aiming ranged weapons, which didn't initially sound like something I'd use. It actually might work as well if not better than using the physical controls, as I was able to shoot down a bunch of Skulltulas (skull spiders) with ease, and it felt cool in an augmented reality sort of way.

I'm definitely looking at Ocarina of Time 3D through the eyes of nostalgia, because I haven't played the original game in years. As such, I think it would be fun to play it again with its upgraded graphics and features on the 3DS. Plus, you never know, Nintendo might be working on some bonus content that the Force was hiding. On the other hand, if you just played Ocarina of Time yesterday, it might not be as attractive a title.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Aw man i really want this game.

I still have it on my 64 and its fun no matter how many times i play it.
A portable version sounds great to me.

And so far the improvements sound wonderful.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
I should not be this excited about playing an old game again, but I am. OoT Hyrule looks so purdy in this remake.

The best thing about it is probably that it's handheld, though. Ocarina of Time on a long bus or train ride? Yes, PLEASE!

Arkvoodle

Dec 4, 2008
Nice try but even my favorite Zelda game reincarnated isn't enough to make me fork over for a 3DS. yet...

HeOfMalice

Aug 2, 2010
Want.
So bloody hard.

I can easily see forking over the money for a 3DS, JUST for this game.

The Grim Ace

May 20, 2010
I may have just played it yesterday, with Windwaker graphics and all, but this is still looking extremely interesting to me. Now if they just make an extended remake of Majora's Mask I can die happy.

HeOfMalice

Aug 2, 2010
The Grim Ace said:
I may have just played it yesterday, with Windwaker graphics and all, but this is still looking extremely interesting to me. Now if they just make an extended remake of Majora's Mask I can die happy.
Amen brutha.

War Pony

Feb 19, 2010
Why does Gohma's lair look so much brighter than I remember? And Gohma for that matter, too.

Ne1butme

Nov 16, 2009
I know it's never going to happen, but i hope that the OoT Master Quest is in this package. I recall playing that when Wind Waker came out and it was fun to play through the new dungeon layouts.

Oh, and they should throw in Majora's Mask as well. I would pay 40 bucks for all 3 of these games on a single cart.

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Ne1butme said:
Oh, and they should throw in Majora's Mask as well. I would pay 40 bucks for all 3 of these games on a single cart.
Even if they just remake it in the same vein, I will be greatly pleased.

julesville

Jan 25, 2008
Looks like the 3DS is taking over the GBA and the DS's role as Nostalgia Machines, allowing us to pay twice to play a game we already played 10 years ago. But if I can recapture a little of that adolescent feeling of wonder and excitement again then, hey, it's worth it.

And I would gladly pay 4 times to play Star Fox 64 3D!!!!

Taylor Wells

Mar 24, 2010
I honestly can't wait for this. Legend of Zelda will always be my favorite game series, no matter what. OoT was the best in that series IMHO, so this is exactly what I'm looking for. Good job Nintendo, you've made a buyer out of me. ;)

Outlaw Torn

Dec 24, 2008
Am I the only one who spotted the horrible advertising for a certain tuber headed product? For shame!

Anyway, I'm expecting that Navi is still irritating in the 'new' game? If I ever considered buying a 3DS, I might be tempted to pick this game up if it included a full version of Majora's Mask on the same cartridge. I still have Ocarina of Time on the 64, so I have no particular need for a second copy even if it is enhanced.

comadorcrack

The Master of Speilingz
Mar 19, 2009
Look we all know I'm buying the damn 3DS! I haven't been seen without Nintendo's newest Handheld in my games arsenal yet, and I'll be damned if I will be this time! So stop giving me Legend of Zelda Blue Balls!!!!!!

burningdragoon

Warrior without Weapons
Jul 27, 2009
Here's how I feel about this game:

blah blah remake blah blah 3D blah blah wait... Link has a strap for his sheath now? Yay!