Happiness is a Warm Controller

Sean Sands

Optimistic Cynic
Sep 14, 2006
Happiness is a Warm Controller

Many a gamer have been asked this simple, yet slightly derisive question: "You still play videogames?" Sean Sands answers it.

Read Full Article

Aug 25, 2009
Why do we climb the mountain?

Because it's there.

I game because I know I can, and there is still a satisfaction to be had from managing to find that one sweet spot on a boss after hours of relentless mashing. I equate this to a small scale version of the satisfaction gained after hours of merciless climbing, only to reach the summit.

Distorted Stu

Sep 22, 2009
I must say, i got asked by a girl around my age in the pub "Do you still play games?" I was like "Oh God how do i answer this". Im always honest and i told her i play video games and she highfived me. Everythign went better than expected..

Roofless

Oct 12, 2009
"You still play videogames?"
Yes, why not? There's just no way you could go outside and lead a bunch of brick-faced marines in power armor to distant places where you can chainsaw aliens.

laura3lizab3th

Oct 15, 2009
I'm only 19 and I still get the "pitty look" every time I respond with "Yes, I still play"
But I simply just don't let it bother me.
There fun, they pass time - Whats wrong with that?

clairedelune

Oct 9, 2006
My father is 56 and plays a ton of video games, mostly MMO's, RTS's, and RPG's. He's currently on LOTRO. He tells me it's because no one is around to play D&D with him anymore.

pumasuit

Aug 7, 2009
The Spirit of the Hill!
To me, playing video games amounts to many of the same decisions one makes in seeing a movie, watching TV, or reading a book. At the end of the day, all art forms are an escape from the casual and mediocre. Wonderful article.

TheSeventhLoneWolf

Mar 1, 2009
Furburt said:
Why are gamers so ashamed of themselves? I mean, you don't see movie buffs being cross-examined about how they should 'grow up'. The average age of gamers in the UK is 34 for christs sake!
it's nothing to be ashamed of playing it if you're over 29.
I never will be ashamed, even when i'm old and grey. I'm 17 at the mo' and i don't think i'm going to give up gaming, reduce maybe, but not quit. Besides, playing a video game after a long day at work/school is theoretically good for your profontal cortex, according to the theories of Dr Kawashima.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Its all escapism isnt it, theres only so many times you can watch Two and a half men and visit Tesco in a day

auronvi

Jul 10, 2009
Awesome Sean! I am 23 and have struggled with gaming as part of my identity also. It is not much more accepted now as it is with your generation. I still get condescending remarks and am still asked "You still play videogames?" probably as much as you.

I don't let it get to me. If I am asked that question I just know that this is a person that I will not be able to get along with for very long and should just keep them at arms length.

I have also come to realize that I am more a gamer because I chose to be. Stand tall Sean and know that there are a lot who back you up in your hobby!

Xzi said:
Like he says in the article, I guarantee that his is the last generation which would even dare to ask that question. I have yet to meet a person at or near my age (23) who DOESN'T still play video games. The majority of my friends play quite a lot.
It must be a regional thing. As many people as I know that DO play games, there are easily more that I know that look down on gaming. I know all my friends do, because I wouldn't be friends with them if they didn't!

Crunchy English

Victim of a Savage Neck-bearding
Aug 20, 2008
Hmm Gaming as a mid-life crisis? Interesting. It's not as self-destructive as an affair or quitting your job and its not as expensive as a Hot Rod. I mean, that's what Sean was talking about at the end there right? He wants to be sneered at, different. He's rebelling from the carbon copy suburbia that so many find themselves in during their middle years?

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Furburt said:
Why are gamers so ashamed of themselves? I mean, you don't see movie buffs being cross-examined about how they should 'grow up'. The average age of gamers in the UK is 34 for christs sake!
it's nothing to be ashamed of playing it if you're over 29.
Because society still looks down on us and makes out how games are 'really for kids'. And the thing about being looked down on for so long is that we end up wondering if we are the one's who are wrong, rather than the people telling us we're wrong.

Nevermind. One day, when gamers take over the Earth, non-gamers can be herded into ghetto's.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
SirBryghtside said:
I don't get it - people seem to consider 'gaming' as Mario, Sonic, etc, all the kiddy things.

But who's supposed to play the 18+ games?
I suppose the majority of people who aren't gamers think there aren't +18 games.
SikOseph said:
Respond with: You still watch X-Factor/Soaps/Big Brother/The OC/Whatever terrible craze is being hyped at the particular time.
True. That stuff is utter drivel.

eels05

Jun 11, 2009
This articles spot on.
I've felt the sting of game shame many times and wondered why theres still a childish stigma attached to it.
People need to realise its a media thats grown up with the generation thats now in its mid thirties and has developed and matured with them.
It's not all badly drawn cartoon sprites chasing coins and dodging barrels anymore.

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
When my controller gets warm it makes my hands sweat...

OT: Interesting I don't come from that generation but I do get the question: "you play that kind of game usually when its not an FPS or mainstream game, usually when its very lighthearted and cute (did someone say kirby?) and it is usually asked in the tone you are implying.

Turing

Dec 25, 2008
Well to be honest, I'm most likely very much addicted to my computer. If I had to choose between never having a woman again or a computer, I'd probably keep my computer. I've been playing games for about 20 years of my 27 year life and its probably one of the few things that keep me sane in a world that really doesn't make much sense at times.
Sure, I like my work, I love my girlfriend and my mates are great, but my computer (and to a lesser extent my PnP roleplaying games) are integral to my continued existence as a functioning adult.
Fun thing is, I don't really feel it defines me as a Gamer. I'm not a gamer stereotype at all, except when at work or with my gaming friends. In any other case, I'm just a smiling cynic who doesn't expect much from life but takes what he can get. Sometimes, I even get annoyed at people who strive to define themselves as gamers, those who try so hard to let people know that they're something special because they play computer games. Although, the ones who define themselves as RPG nerds are even worse.
Despite being a gamer, thats not what I am. I am regular person with hobbies some people find unusual, much like so many others with unusual hobbies would be.