Happy Singles Awareness day.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
I don't get any presents for Valentine's because all of my friends are similarly partnerless and perpetually unhappy with life.

I hate Valentine's because it's a crock of shit used by confection companies to make more money at the expense of single peoples' will to live.

Ryallen

Will never say anything smart
Feb 25, 2014
I'm in my room all the time anyways, so Singles Awareness Day doesn't have NEARLY the same effect on me. I joke about it, I always tell people that I'm going to die alone, but at the end of the day, I wouldn't really mind that. I've never been an active social person often going out whenever someone else wants to hang out, which is ranges from rarely to never, and I'm okay with that. It's awesome to hang out with friends, but I don't mind spending all my time in my room. The only thing that ever bothered me about it was that my dad would get on my plums about it. If I ever got a girlfriend, I can't even imagine how outside my comfort zone I would be. If my comfort zone was a continent, getting a girlfriend would literally be flying to a new god damn planet, because of how much stuff I've never done before I would have to do. Not to mention my cripplingly low self esteem would just make the whole experience even worse for me. And then there's my cynicism regarding any two people who are together, my lack of common sense regarding others feelings, my sisters intense hope that I am gay, and so on.

*looks at post and rereads*

[small]Christ, I am narcissistic.[/small]

Fiad

Apr 3, 2010
Didnt really give a shit about it when I was single. And now that I am in a relationship it is still pretty much just another day. Past two years we have agreed not to get each other anything for it. Honestly I hear more about Valentines day from single people shouting about it than people in relationships lording it over everyone like the single people claim.

Spider RedNight

There are holes in my brain
Oct 8, 2011
The only reason why I find myself a little upset on Valentine's Day is when I think back on my elementary school days and remember that I was the "unpopular one" in the class so I got the least amount of obligatory Valentine's Day cards during that ritual where we got paper sacks and we had to go around the room like it was Trick or Treating, dropping those over-priced (but sometimes cute) kids Valentine cards in said sacks.

God was I unpopular.

ANYWAY other than that, Valentine's Day is just another day. I don't mind being single, I like spending my money on me, chocolate becomes cheaper the following day(s) and most importantly.... Actually, I don't know what's most important.

...Ah, well. Back to the Wedding Day Massacre Headhunter in Borderlands 2.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
Xsjadoblayde said:
All the single peeps be like "Nooo it huuurts" ... All the couple peeps be like "why so bitter, man? be happy!"

I be like "Am i a person? Am i even human? Or real? OOOh wine!!! ...i still need to complete Portal 2!"

CAPTCHA: NEST EGG - Umm yeah, there you go! All is answered. Thank me/the captcha later.
Wine is the best either way!

*brofist*

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Colour Scientist said:
Xsjadoblayde said:
All the single peeps be like "Nooo it huuurts" ... All the couple peeps be like "why so bitter, man? be happy!"

I be like "Am i a person? Am i even human? Or real? OOOh wine!!! ...i still need to complete Portal 2!"

CAPTCHA: NEST EGG - Umm yeah, there you go! All is answered. Thank me/the captcha later.

*brofist*
*Brofist - connect!!*

(Please dont give me a limited content warning, Escapist)(Yes, im only typing this to avoid the cruel, demanding hand of judgement!)

Colour Scientist

Jul 15, 2009
Xsjadoblayde said:
Colour Scientist said:
Xsjadoblayde said:

*brofist*
*Brofist - connect!!*

(Please dont give me a limited content warning, Escapist)(Yes, im only typing this to avoid the cruel, demanding hand of judgement!)
I don't think they even enforce that anymore.

Drink wine and fuck the popo!

[sub][sub]Soz Topaz[/sub][/sub]

MerlinCross

Apr 22, 2011
Colour Scientist said:

I think they do just in more....hostile(?) Threads? Or the OTs that put down very little.

Also I can't wait for Half Off Chocolate day.

Colour Scientist

Jul 15, 2009
MerlinCross said:
Colour Scientist said:

I think they do just in more....hostile(?) Threads? Or the OTs that put down very little.

Also I can't wait for Half Off Chocolate day.
You mean threads where they just spam Twitter links?

Nah, I don't think it's thread specific.

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
Madcat75 said:
Here are my thoughts on "Valentines Day"

1) I don't see why couples should get a special holiday while single people get nothing except to feel like shit.

2) shouldn't you show the person you are with you love them 365 days a year instead of just 1.

3) it is basically a holiday invented to force people to buy stupid junk because they are guilted into it by believing if they don't then they don't love their partner.
1) What? I mean. I feel pretty good and I'm single. Look at the positives. No financial or time obligations besides the ones you feel are worth it to yourself.

2) Yes. Which is why plenty of people do that. Valentine's Day can just be something a little more special for people.

3) Sure, I suppose. But that really depends on the person.

Augustine

Jun 21, 2012
I am single(I guess...).
Can't say I need a day to reaffirm my singlehood though, but I appreciate the thought.

Kinitawowi

Nov 21, 2012
Joel Barrish said:
Random thoughts for Valentine's Day, 2004. Today is a holiday invented by greeting card companies to make people feel like crap.
Single and, for the time being at least, glad of it.

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
Me and a few friends, two of which are a couple, had a lovely evening playing board games. I'm single and wasn't bothered one bit by this year's Valentine's day. It all depends on how much you let it bother you.

Timeless Lavender

Lord of Chinchilla
Feb 2, 2015
I am single and I am quite happy. I don't care for celebration stuff, not my kind of tea but at least someone here at the escapist can be your Valentine ;) /JK

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Colour Scientist said:
Xsjadoblayde said:
Colour Scientist said:
Xsjadoblayde said:

*brofist*
*Brofist - connect!!*

Oh well...learnt at least that little nibble of knowledge today as my dignity fell from psuedo grace.

Consider the wine drunk...and the popo - fucked!

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
Singles Awareness Day: The day that all singles realize too late that they don't have a date for Valentine's Day and begin to panic in the vain attempt that someone will hear their whining and want to go out with them. Here's a tip: Whining won't get you a date. It might, however, make those previously interested in you no longer interested.

Captcha: My ring is valuable...OK, I've seen that one plenty of times, but given the situation, I just can't stop laughing.

Edit: Oh, and just so no one claims I'm some guy in a happy relationship who can't possibly understand what it is like to be single: Yes, I am single. I've never even so much as been on a date, despite trying. That's right, I've been rejected every time, and all but one time lost a close friend in the process. So I'm in a perfect position to complain. I'm just not letting the situation keep me down and depressed.

Adamantium93

Jun 9, 2010
What bothers me is that it is a literal Hallmark Holiday. It was invented pretty much just to sell stuff and has absolutely nothing to due with St. Valentine.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
The Wykydtron said:
Well there's only one response I can give to single people like me on this day:

That Michiru at 00:59. The perfection is real. The Tomoko representation is nice but expected since she's /a/'s collective waifu.

Yeah I tried having a girlfriend once, it just shocked me into realising how badly I didn't even need one. I just thought I wanted a girlfriend because everyone else wants one (peer pressure can be scary sometimes) but i've never been the intimate type. Seriously I spent a few hours with her then the very first thought to run through my head after was "That was a waste of time, I could have finished that anime by now"

Abort relationship. Not worth.

Does anyone remember that guy in I think China or Korea who jumped off a three story ledge in a packed shopping centre to get away from his girlfriend's incessant nagging while out shopping and died? That's another thing, they can be dangerous to your physical health. Women can be scary sometimes, even if they are terrible at stabbing things.

[sub][sub]It's a joke Katawa Shoujo reference, calm your tits potential feminists who may be reading[/sub][/sub]
Katawa Shoujo is a great visual novel. One of my favorites. Hanako's and Lily's stories are great. I need to do Rin's now.

I'm pretty much the same way. I could sacrifice my free time to spend it with someone else or I could use 100% of my free time doing what I want to do. Back in college a few years ago a woman told me she liked me and I told her I wasn't interested. I think she was trying to play a trick on me though because the next day her and some guy sat across from me during class break and they were hanging all over each other.

Was she angry that you broke up with her?