Hardest Moral Choice you had to make in a game?

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
wolf thing said:
the end of dues ex, both side had good and bad points and in kotor 2 when you are in the sith cave on korriban, its got a few of them and the whole experience ends in getting dark side points
that's why I chose to party...<.<

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
thepicle said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
That one bothered me, especially when I picked the bad karma one. It didn't help that the ending song was a downer, even though it's a good song.

Same, the good ending was so sad :(
I knew something bad happened when I heard...

Zeke's voice when I finally killed the Beast. I damn near cried when they sailed away. ;_;

Jak23

Oct 1, 2010
The fourth trial in Heavy Rain
I was all pumped up and ready to shoot the guy in the face(after all he just chased me through the house with a shotgun), then he started saying how he had 2 daughters and that he just wanted to see them one more time. Then I realized he was just like me, except this time I could prevent the tragedy from happening.

Kennian

Apr 20, 2009
joiny said:
A house divided in ME2. Sorry for having the same opinion as extra credits.
This wasnt hard for me, i examined the problem and realized the Reapers reprogrammed the geth as servents...

Logic driven AI suddenly finding a God figure was totally out of character, and reprogramming them was the only option that made sense...

Stammer

Apr 16, 2008
I don't want to start any arguments, but you guys DO realize that Extra Credits was mistaken in what the moral choice was in Legion's loyalty mission "A House Divided" right?

They didn't believe that Shepard was the bad guy. A virus that was brainwashing them made them believe that.

Your options weren't to brainwash or to kill, they were to un-brainwash or to kill.

The moral choice was simply "Un-brainwash them into thinking clearly. This will not harm them, but by allowing them to think clearly they may in the future turn against you." or "Kill them all, ending their AI and preventing them from ever becoming a threat."

That isn't to say it isn't still a meaningful decision, but the way Extra Credits described it was wrong, and it's clearly misleading a number of people. Just thought I'd clarify.

EDIT: See the post above this one. ^

EGtodd09

Oct 20, 2010
~~WITCHER 2 SPOILERS~~
When I played through the Witcher 2 I helped Roach because I felt I owed him for helping me out of prison, he basically saved my life. This choice wasn't overly hard for me but what really struck a chord was what I realised after I went with him. He's not exactly a great guy, often saying things I though hugely terrible and he and his men, and many of those in Kaedwen did things that were almost unspeakable, I here Geralt was, helping them because there was no other option. Really got me immersed in the game, it made the people seem more human.

SillyBear

May 10, 2011
Rawne1980 said:
Megaton in Fallout 3.

Moira Brown irritates the shit out of me but she sells good stuff ...... to blow up or not to blow up.
That's the hardest moral choice for you? The decision to either murder hundreds of innocent people or not to murder hundreds of innocent people? XD

My hardest is from the same game actually. In the DLC, the Pitt. The baby decision.

So hard.

Elf Defiler Korgan

Apr 15, 2009
Gal civ 2

The Drengin and their evil allies had ravaged the galaxy. They had been pushed back and defeated. I, a neutral power called a truce, the good alliance did not stop, they pushed the advantage, they continued to conquer evil worlds, put in place converting governments and establish more colonies.

Not such a bad thing you might think. As a neutral power, I was in a place and position to be the protector of the minor powers, small planets of diverse alignment whom didn't really expand. The Drengin kept getting hammered and eventually the smaller evil powers I were protecting, one the snathi a race of evil rodent people, were attacked with overwhelming force from one power of the good collective. The rest followed suit, and the choice was to fight for others or to be isolationist.

The hardest choice was entering the war against the good, former allies against evil, to protect the small powers encircling my modest space empire. It was a gigantic war that began and it would eventually lead to the good empires having to be genocided almost completely (they would not surrender, would not even consider it), with the minor powers tied to my neutral alliance set up as provisional governors of the few worlds left. Neutrality for the win.

AyreonMaiden

Sep 24, 2010
"Katherine or Catherine?"

Because it felt nothing like a moral choice at all. I'd never been at a bigger conundrum in a game.

J-dog42

Aug 1, 2010
silver wolf009 said:
Not sure if this counts as a moral choice, but when you find the sasquach. You're given a mission to kill them, and after hunting them all down you're led to a lone bigfoot crying at the base of a tree.

A cutscene ensues where he asks you to kill him, as you've killed all of his family and friends. John Marston keeps saying that, "The legends said you eat babies." even though he's corrected and that they eat berries. Eventually he breaks down and starts crying, saying he wants it to end.

After that you're dropped back into the game. I felt terrible, so I pulled out my Blunderbuss and took aim. I fired, but he lived. He got up and started running, screaming that he just wanted to be left alone. I chased after him, I had to put him down.

I've only ever winced at my actions in a game once, and it was right there.
Yes, I felt exactly the same. I actually felt guilty and killed him to wipe out the shame of what I had done. I have never felt that bad before in a video game. Hell, I even played No Russian in MW2 twice just for the fun of it. Yet there was something about that mission in RDR:UN that got me.

vyrhem

Aug 9, 2011
In the desert of Gothic 3, do I support the Nomads or the Hashishin.

The Hashishin are not only the most stable and self-sufficient economy in the game world by a long shot. They are also the only human society with the power to truly fight the orcs on even ground. They are however, slavers who sell people to the orcs.

The Nomads, on the other hand, have been settled in the desert longer (according to them) and just want their land back and to end slavery. The water mages who may have helped The Unnamed Hero in the previous games are Nomads. The Nomads are also raiders and bandits, half of whom will attack you on sight making them hard to root for. They aren't slavers, so they would prefer to just kill you. They also have less to offer you than the wealthy Hashishin.

souper soup guy

Aug 8, 2011
I would say that the hardest moral choice was in ME2 where you had to choose between what one of your crew mates wants, and what is best for them. Oh wait, you can talk your way out of that using persuade. Okay then I would say the Legion loyalty mission, you know the one.

thepicle

Dec 19, 2010
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
thepicle said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
That one bothered me, especially when I picked the bad karma one. It didn't help that the ending song was a downer, even though it's a good song.

Same, the good ending was so sad :(
I knew something bad happened when I heard...

Zeke's voice when I finally killed the Beast. I damn near cried when they sailed away. ;_;
God i know. That was heavy stuff. I found myself honest to god attached to the character of cole.

Stammer

Apr 16, 2008
souper soup guy said:
I would say that the hardest moral choice was in ME2 where you had to choose between what one of your crew mates wants, and what is best for them. Oh wait, you can talk your way out of that using persuade. Okay then I would say the Legion loyalty mission, you know the one.
Yeah that's probably the biggest things that I hated about Mass Effect 2. If the question was a really big moral choice (like the one you're mentioning here, I know which one), it gave you the courtesy of allowing you to charm/intimidate your way out of it.

They even had a few situations in Mass Effect that did that, but at least that game had a few really monstrous decisions that didn't allow you to talk your way out of them. Mass Effect 2 was just awful for that :/

starwarsgeek

Nov 30, 2009
Pokemon.
Bulbasaur. Squirtle. Charmander.
One will be left behind, never seeing the country. Never going an adventure. Never being a champion. Never leaving that desk. Choose.

Comando96

May 26, 2009
Do I pay my employees or not?
Hmm... thats a real hard one... pay Extra Credits team or not pay them...

--------------------------------
Joke aside...

Probably the longest I've ever spent at a screen would be destroying or not destroying the Geth base... it took me a fucking while xD