Hardware Review: Sharkoon X-Tatic 5.1 Headset

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Hardware Review: Sharkoon X-Tatic 5.1 Headset

For full 5.1 surround sound in a handy headset package, the Sharkoon X-Tatic 5.1 lives up to its promise.

Read Full Article

LoopyDood

Dec 13, 2008
I was getting excited about them until I saw the price, $160. I'm looking for something in the sub-$100 range, could anyone make any suggestions?

RvLeshrac

This is a Forum Title.
Oct 2, 2008
LoopyDood said:
I was getting excited about them until I saw the price, $160. I'm looking for something in the sub-$100 range, could anyone make any suggestions?
There's no such thing as a "good" sub-$100 Surround headset (yes, this is sad). You can get a good communication headset for $20-30 (I like the Logitech PS2/3 USB headsets) , and a decent stereo headset for $50-100 (Logitech G330 on the low end, Steel 5H on the high).

MrCrun

Dec 17, 2004
They look exactly like my Speedlink Medusa 5.1s and the Tritton AX360s I had before them (colour schemes not-with-standing). If the picture is accurate they should be adjustable. The Medusa set cost circa £50 and the AX360s circa £80 three years ago. $160 seems steep. Shop around. I rarely use speakers anymore and I have some nice (I'm told) Eltax ones.

Edit: Picture not accurate. Although they do seem to share the input box with the Trittons.

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
Nice pick Greg, but I think I am going to stick to my Turtle Beach x41's.

But in the (far) future, I may think about trying these puppies, or possibly Astros.

LazerFX

Driver
Sep 10, 2008
To add to the review - I've got them hooked up at the moment to my PC via Coax, and my PS3 via Optical. Audio quality is fantastic.

Only issue is the generally poor quality of the volume control system. For instance, if you turn the volume down on the hardware amp, when it switches modes, the volume will pop back up. Annoying if a BluRay menu is in Prologic, but the disc itself is in Digital/Digital Master HD.

Still, great set of headphones, a really good mic, excellent sound quality.

Had a pair of Medusa 5.1's before this, but like these because of the multiple digital inputs.

4RT1LL3RY

Oct 31, 2008
RvLeshrac said:
LoopyDood said:
There's no such thing as a "good" sub-$100 Surround headset (yes, this is sad). You can get a good communication headset for $20-30, and a quality stereo headset for $50-100.
Good surround sound headsets are a myth, a pair of Audiophile stereo headphones will utterly destroy them. Thing of it in terms of quality vs quantity, $160 on 8 speakers is $20 a speaker. If you get a nice pair of stereo headphones you are better off, the standard for good headphones are Audio Technica AD700. They only cost like $80 currently, down from the $250 they released at a few years back. A good pair of stereo headphones gives just as much information about location of a sound and they will sound incredible when listening to music as well.

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
RvLeshrac said:
LoopyDood said:
There's no such thing as a "good" sub-$100 Surround headset (yes, this is sad). You can get a good communication headset for $20-30 (I like the Logitech PS2/3 USB headsets) , and a decent stereo headset for $50-100 (Logitech G330 on the low end, Steel 5H on the high).
Or you could just buy a soundcard like this [http://us.store.creative.com/Sound-Blaster-XFi-Xtreme-Audio-PCI/M/B000W7PNZI.htm] at $60, and a cheap pair of headphones and you'll have the same effect.

CyberAkuma

Elite Member
Nov 27, 2007
This headset costs nearly 300 US Dollars where I live (Northern Europe)
To even suggest any form of recommendation for this particular headset is ridiculous - borderline insulting.

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
LoopyDood said:
http://www.plantronics.com/north_america/en_US/products/computer/gaming-headsets/gamecom-777

I own it, take my word for it. It's fucking awesome.

ionveau

Nov 22, 2009
I dont see a point for these $160 head sets i am using $10 ones and they seem fine to me

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
I'm quite happy with my Plantronics GameCom HeadSet thank you very much.It's cheaper,and it looks much cooler.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
They look good, but with the price tag and what else is out there...seems a bit much

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
Wait... We get hardware reviews?

Anyway, I'll be sticking with my Razer Pirhana, even if it looks silly when you wear it.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
How is the 5.1 positioning of sound? If it is not clear that there is a rear and front its kinda all kinda moot.....