Harmonix: Rock Band 3 Might Have Stolen Guitar Hero's Thunder

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Vanguard_Ex said:
Awww...they still think people care about the rhythm games. That's just adorable <3

Seriously, stop scratching your god damn heads and go outside, ask gamers what they want. It isn't the fucking flashy button music shite anymore guys, times a-changin'.
13 million worldwide sales, $1 billion franchise, and 70 million purchased downloadable songs [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_Band] would tell you otherwise.

Music games aren't going anywhere for a while, I don't understand why some people think that they're dieing. Not as big an impact, maybe, but hardly something that nobody cares about anymore. My friend had Rock Band 1, recently got RB2, and we play it all the time.

OT: Guitar Hero lost it's flare a long time ago, a user above me states it well with it no longer really being "Guitar" Hero. Rock Band is just a more streamlined and focused experience on what it wants to be, whereas Guitar Hero has gone through a rock setlist, to a more standard setlist, back to "hardcore" rock, random songs, and then completely misfiring the series with Warriors of Rock.

Mr. Grey

I changed my face, ya like it?
Aug 31, 2009
I have no idea whether or not Rock Band is surpassing Guitar Hero - even though I believe so, my belief is not fact - with Pro Mode I'm thinking Rock Band is opening a whole new door for this genre.

Add Kinect and Eye Toy and you could - in theory - have the game track your movements as you goof around and do tricks for bonus points. Even a drummer can initialize a bonus when a break appears for the song before continuing. This could open a different doorway that people want remained locked, but the potential of good is greater to me. Rather than any impending baseless lawsuits.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Wow, what a conceited dickhead. I would expect a statement like that from Kotick if things were the other way around.

Personally I hope Rock Band 3 fails just as hard so that we can confirm that the reason is this:

Vanguard_Ex said:
Awww...they still think people care about the rhythm games. That's just adorable <3

Seriously, stop scratching your god damn heads and go outside, ask gamers what they want. It isn't the fucking flashy button music shite anymore guys, times a-changin'.
[hr]

Irridium said:
When people look at Guitar Hero, they go "oh look, another Guitar Hero. Aren't there like, 7 or something? I'll pass."
When they look at Rock Band, they go "Haven't seen a rock band game in a while. Think I'll check it out."

Well thats what I do at least. Everyone's different. I personally like Rock Band's tracklist more.
There's been at least one Rock Band since 2007.

Lt. Vinciti

Nov 5, 2009
I know why...

NO ONE CARES ABOUT THESE GAMES!

Enough is enough the teat is dry and and falling off....give it up and make something new

Jezzascmezza

Aug 18, 2009
I'm actually surprised that Warriors of Rock sold more than zero copies.
I mean come on, who actually likes Guitar hero anymore?
Same sounding songs, same look, same gameplay, all the time.
Same same same same same same SAME!
At least rock band 3 is trying something new with the key board and the "pro" mode. (Correct me if it's not actually called pro mode, but you know what I mean.)

gring

Sep 14, 2010
So here are my feelings on the two games:

Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock -

Taking an overplayed genre and making it even more pointless. who really cares about how "heavy metal" your character looks, which is basically the only difference i can tell from looking at it. seriously, the game looks stupid as hell.

Rock Band 3 -

Want to actually learn how to play Drums, Guitar, Piano, and/or Vocals? This game will teach you, given it maybe a bit pricey, but at least we finally have that choice. oh yeah, and its the standard Rock Band experience that we all know is really well done and awesome.

so basically, one moves the genre forward (pro mode), the other is basically the same ole crap, with NOTHING NEW being RELEVANT to the actual MUSICAL experience.

I am loving the hell out of Rock Band 3, entirely because of Pro Mode. Although I do think it was dumb to not release the 1st pro guitar until a MONTH after the game comes out, and the 2nd one until after NEXT YEAR. i mean, WHAT ARE THEY THINKING?! the entire game was hyped around the new pro guitar. so, stupid decision aside, the game is really well done.

shMerker

Oct 24, 2007
Why are you reporting this like Sussman isn't saying something incredibly self-serving? This is basically an advertisement for Rock band 3, but you have it headlined like there's some kind of analysis going on. What gives?

tk1989

May 20, 2008
Music games like these have hit a saturation point; sales are dropping and there is little either can do about it. Neither company will ever get sales close to what they used to get. It would be best I would say to stick to new ideas, like dj hero, which has promise and is something different.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
kouriichi said:
Its because its not "Guitar Hero" anymore. It used to be all about being awesome by yourself.

You could pick any song with an awesome guitar and put it in the game. Now you have to have every position filling in the song for it to be in the game.

Meaning that its "Band Hero" now, and its lost the flair it used to have.

But Rock Band it just what it states. Songs ment towards Bands.

Ive always liked Rock Band over Guitar Hero. Its just a smoother feeling game.
Yeah, the original departure point seemed to be that Rock Band was a party game, a group game, and Guitar Hero was a more hardcore experience.

Even if you put "hardcore" in quotes, you know what I mean.

On the other side of things, with Pro modes, Rock Band's shifted to allow more hardcore playing while still being accessible, and Guitar Hero has gone as far into "party" as they can, while not retaining the edge.

uguito-93

This space for rent
Jul 16, 2009
I think i can come up with a better reason. People are getting tired of buying what is essentially the SAME GAME over and over again. Since the original which came out in 2005, there have been over 15 games. seriously. FIFTEEN. Activision cannot honestly expect the franchise to stay enjoyable after so many games

SextusMaximus

Nightingale Assassin
May 20, 2009
Acidwell said:
I'd say its more to do with the way people are bored with rhythm games there are 8 guitar games so far between the 2, the tracklist for guitar hero is imho a lot better than rock band but its all down to opinion.

Do you not think this guy might be badly biased, its like asking hitler about whether an aryan race is a good idea or not!!!!!!
Well it's hard to agree with that claim when Rock Band has over 1000 songs.

CK76

Sep 25, 2009
For my it's all about track list. I'd like more band focused (Beatles and Green Day) Rock Band games as know from the start if going to enjoy playing the songs.

Last Valiance

Jun 26, 2010
If you include DJ Hero under the Guitar Hero franchise umbrella then they are still going strong.

My problem is that they all seem to be made really cheaply; the graphics are always terrible.

All they have to do is have some characters jump about a bit on a stage in pretty much exactly the same way every time, but they can't manage it right...

I know it's not about the graphics, but they could at least make it passable to look at, I mean, they could make the animations at least semi-good with their budget.

The GH/Rock band games could've been done on a 5th gen console, that's how bad they are.

Australian Justice
Jan 30, 2010
Rockband expands further on their concept and limit it to a smaller release schedule than guitar hero. Activision need to realise that they've beaten the proverbial dead horse of guitar hero long enough. In other words, if you want someone to blame for screwing the entire guitar hero franchise blame Bobby Kotick. GH was good for the first 3 games, then went downhill into shittiness.
Anyway the real winner of the music game sales war between GH and RB will be the first one to successfully license Led Zepplin's "Stairway to Heaven"

Acidwell

Beware of Snow Giraffes
Jun 13, 2009
SextusMaximus said:
Acidwell said:
I'd say its more to do with the way people are bored with rhythm games there are 8 guitar games so far between the 2, the tracklist for guitar hero is imho a lot better than rock band but its all down to opinion.

Do you not think this guy might be badly biased, its like asking hitler about whether an aryan race is a good idea or not!!!!!!
Well it's hard to agree with that claim when Rock Band has over 1000 songs.
Not really my point, i prefer the songs on guitar hero, rock mand has a lot of songs that i do not like so for me its quality vs quantity and guitar hero wins in this.
Edit: anyway guitar hero has around 923 songs and thats not including gh:metallica,aerosmith,rock the 80's,van halen or band hero.

Madmanonfire

Jul 24, 2009
The only way this could be true would be because of the hype. Harmonix released a shoddy game in the end, with gameplay-harming bugs and a dull setlist. RB3 is an interactive teaching system, neglecting "plain fun" gameplay.
Meanwhile, GH6 is a near-perfect game. A big problem, though, is it's mostly for "hardcore" music gamers. The challenge would probably be too great for others. And it does have a few bugs here and there, but they don't affect gameplay (aside from occasional lag). In the end, it's extremely fun.
It all comes down to music perference. That is why the reviews can't be trusted. They say quite a few stupid things.