Harrison: Gaming's Future is the Web Browser, Not Consoles

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Harrison: Gaming's Future is the Web Browser, Not Consoles

Phil Harrison sees the videogame industry's next generation coming from the web browser rather than new hardware.

In the past, the videogame industry has tended to advance itself every few years through new hardware. The Nintendo became the Super Nintendo, the PlayStation became the PlayStation 2, the Xbox became the Xbox 360, and so on. Former president of Sony Worldwide Studios and Atari Phil Harrison doesn't think the generation after the one we're currently in will come from another hardware advancement, but from technology that puts better games in web browsers instead.

Speaking at the Italian Videogame Developers Conference in Rome, Harrison said that within the next 5-10 years he believes we're going to see games on the quality level of Modern Warfare 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-Modern-Warfare-Xbox-360/dp/B00269QLI8] inside of a web browser and on other mobile platforms like cellphones and the iPad. He believes the technology that can deliver "very rich, very impressive gameplay" on these platforms will create the industry's next generation.

Harrison thinks this sort of advancement will lead to a new "browser war" as companies fight to be the best at delivering this sort of content. "Somebody is going to win," he said. "Somebody is going to deliver console level 3D graphics, video and audio into a web browser. That will be the tipping point for the evolution of our industry that will accelerate what we can do in a browser, and I think will create the next generation platform for games."

Also key to this "browser future" is the concept of an open platform. Microsoft, Sony, Apple, and Nintendo all have "closed policies" that make submitting games a complex process. Harrison feels that more open platforms, similar to Facebook, can dominate outside of the casual realm by catering to the hardcore crowd. "The battleground for the future, and the opportunity in the future is going to be about [...] who is going to be satisfying the needs of the core gamer on an open platform," he continued.

Games like FarmVille have largely found their success through accessibility, which Harrison believes is the future of the entire industry, even for the companies currently operating on a "closed" basis. "The console companies, I believe, will want to figure out how to become more open and to deliver more content without restriction to more people, to stimulate creativity," he added.

Harrison himself might be trying to invest in this new kind of technology in his current position at London Venture Partners. It's interesting that we're seeing many, many games playable through browsers nowadays, but they're mostly casual. Facebook developers are constantly saying that they have the platform's first "hardcore" game, but these titles are never quite on the "core" level of Call of Duty or Gaikai [http://www.amazon.com/Fallout-New-Vegas-Xbox-360/dp/B0028IBTL6/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1291573595&sr=1-1], which potentially could lead the way.

Source: Develop [http://www.develop-online.net/news/36512/Harrison-Browsers-hold-key-to-industrys-future]

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
Seems possible. Battlefield Heroes springs to mind reading this. I wonder if there are other kinds of games willing to follow suit. I'd love to see a Fallout browser game.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
I don't disagree, but it saddens me a little. I think there will be consoles around for a while yet, but the amount of money it costs to remain in the console game, especially for smaller developers, probably isn't worth it. I don't think it's a bad thing though

FlashHero

Apr 3, 2010
Firefox is well on its way already..the beta 4 has Hardware acceleration on DX10(or was it 9) systems and it has a raw audio visualizer in it or some thing like that for HTML5 video.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Yeah, can't see this happening since a lot of people are on the wall on digital distribution and physical copies will always win out in terms of equal price. I don't find playing on a browser appealing, and I think many people forget why console gaming is fun. Because you sit back and play, PC you sit forward and focus more.

Space Spoons

Aug 21, 2008
In fifty years, when high-speed internet and graphically powerful computers are universal, maybe.

Whichi

Sep 13, 2010
I think it has to do more of the fact that browser games have a level of simplicity, and is practically free. Games like Evony, OGame, Battle On(AQ, MQ, DF, WF, and AQW for those of you who know what I'm talking about) and Travian have its own number of dedicated fans that has been going on for a number of years and don't require any payment to play. There's also other forms of online games like silkroad, Gunbound, Viwawa, etc that have their own serves and selection of games to compete against others with from around the world.

Browser and private server games that are free in its own means are going to be more attractive than the $60+ big budget rip-offs of today (in which said game's fun only last us 6 or less hours, or where online mode is the only attraction). There are games all over websites like Newgrounds, Albino Black Sheep, and kongregate... probably enough to keep us away from the consoles for a good long while. Some of them even keeping track of your account's achievement points, trophies, and level of gaming better than what we have on XBL or PSN already.

I'm still going to play my XBox360 every once in a while, though.

zombie711

Aug 17, 2009
I doute this because flash games are fun but there money comes from advertising. that and the fact that there is no quality control isnt very good. I know streaming video to play a game is fun but some people dont always have internet, more importantly the joys of pc gameing( moding and such) as lost when all you get is a video.

BlumiereBleck

Dec 11, 2008
Doubt it. Try getting all wii, ps3, and xbox 360 owners to play on their computer. Games will be slower because of connections.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
well, so far, there's a couple browser based games that are pretty cool

like, Quake Live, Hangar 2 and Phosphor

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
Seriously who is stuck on a PC monitor anymore? 99% of all HD TVs have RGB support for PCs. Consolers are looking for everything possible they can nitpick over in comparison wars, and false fact repeated enough sure sound true.

Hawker101

Jul 6, 2010
I agree about Artix Entertainment proving that the browser-based game can be successful. Like Whichi said, they have (soon to be) seven games (3 are MMO's)that are all updated weekly and have been going strong since 2002. Sure they aren't console level graphics, but the model is there and it's only a matter of time before the graphics and software catch up to each other.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
Quake Live, I choose you!

(And then waste 2 hours on it)

Everyone go and play Quake Live now (it's free)!