Harry Potter Author Admits Ron Shouldn't Have Ended With Hermione

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
Harry Potter Author Admits Ron Shouldn't Have Ended With Hermione

Hermione Granger shouldn't have ended up with Ron Weasley admits Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling, and hope she's not breaking people's hearts by this revelation.

Ron Weasley shouldn't have married Hermoine Granger at the end of the Harry Potter series. This revelation was admitted by book author J.K. Rowling in the new issue of Wonderland, with the comments obtained by The Sunday Times. According to Rowling, she wrote the Ron Weasley and Hermione relationship as a sort of "wish fulfillment" and adds it has little to do with literature and more with her "clinging to the plot" as she first imagined it.

I wrote the Hermione/Ron relationship as a form of wish fulfillment...That's how it was conceived, really. For reasons that have very little to do with literature and far more to do with me clinging to the plot as I first imagined it, Hermione ended up with Ron.

Rowling, who's been outed as the real-life persona of author "Robert Galbraith" [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/125975-Update-Twitter-Outs-J-K-Rowling-As-Crime-Novelist] who wrote the crime novel The Cuckoo's Calling, muses that she hopes she's not breaking people's hearts by this admission and states, "I can hear the rage and fury it might cause some fans."

I know, I'm sorry...I can hear the rage and fury it might cause some fans, but if I'm absolutely honest, distance has given me perspective on that. It was a choice I made for very personal reasons, not for reasons of credibility. Am I breaking people's hearts by saying this? I hope not.

Lastly, Rowling thinks Ron and Hermione would have needed "relationship counseling" -- a scene most book and film fans would love to witness, I reckon. As a big Harry Potter book fan, I always thought Harry's eventual pairing with Ginny Weasley was a bit of a cop out, but if Harry married Hermione -- as insinuated, who would have Ron ended up with that made sense? Luna Lovegood?

While the main Harry Potter book and film series have seen its end, a spin-off film is on the way as J.K. Rowling has signed on to be the screenwriter for the film adaptation of her book [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/127733-Harry-Potter-Spinoff-Film-Series-and-Games-Are-in-the-Works], "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them."

Source: Hypable [https://twitter.com/thesundaytimes/status/429735253477818368/photo/1]

Update: This story is just part of The Sunday Times' feature with the title: "JK Admits Hermione Should Have Wed Harry." Sorry for the title confusion and we'll update the news if the article has more to share.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
There seems to be absolutely no logical reason for them to end up together.

But then, that didn't stop her from writing book 7, so....

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
Poor Ron, his one unmitigated success in the series that had the least to do with Harry Potter, and the creator admits that he really shouldn't of had it all. Well I for one am on your side RON! Ron+Hermione=4ever! And don't be dumb, Luna is totally in with Neville Longbottom!

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
Over the years my love for the series has degraded to complete indifference or confusion at how such big plot holes were ignored/ such stupid character decisions were conceived depending on which part of the series you are talking about but I never really liked Ron when I did like the series. I always found him to be really annoying.

So from what little I remember about the series now (starting to forget alot of it) Harry and Hermione makes alot more sense to me but then anyone doing anything Ron did instead of Ron doing it would have made more sense to me so maybe I am not the best person to ask.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Personally I always felt that it made more sense for Harry and Hermione to end up together, with the exception of it being horribly cliché. Then again, Ron and Hermione was another cliché, with the whole "Can't stand each other at first but end up falling for one another".

I think in the end it'd have been better for her to keep it a secret though, now that it is too late to "fix" it's just going to end up with people getting worked up. It isn't just games people go crazy over.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Am I missing the part where Rowling actually said that Hermione should have ended up with Harry? Or is the title just clickbait?

At any rate, this kind of reminds me of the whole "Dumbledore is gay" thing. Does it really matter in the end? The worse that can happen is that ten dozen fanfics about how Ron and Hermione's marriage is falling apart will be created - if they have not already.

Though I do question the necessity of pairing any one of the Main Three with another. This coming from someone who likes that Harry wound up with his best friend's sister.

Mouse_Crouse

Apr 28, 2010
Meh, I actually kinda liked how Harry got the unexpected normal girl and Ron got the main female lead. It felt more interesting to me.

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
i dunno, in theory it sounds fine, but nearly all of harry and hermione's scenes together seem, well, businesslike. and even when it is for friendship, that's normally because ron was otherwise unavailable for harry's company. at least when ron and hermione were together there was some form of emotion, and something going on, but harry and hermione just lacked a real connection of sorts.

i'm with most others on harry's romance though, harry and ginny was pretty shit. all of harry's possibilities were a bit shit really

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Wow, this is soap opera stuff, but okay, I'll bite.

I thought Harry marrying Ginny was a bit weak, too. I was quite okay with her losing her crush on Harry and dating other people, so the sudden backswing felt forced.
That said, I didn't feel that badly about Ron and Hermione. I mean, they had been teasing each other for ages, so there was definitely some attraction there.
Harry never seemed all that interested in Hermione, so why would they have ended up together? A lot of the books would've had to go differently for that to happen, wouldn't they?
Also, am I the only one who thought Neville and Luna might end up together at some point (apparently not, looking at Scorpid's post)?
But they both married other people, Neville some side-character from Hufflepuff and Luna someone not even in the books at all.

Which gets me to my next point:
Considering how many people's love-life actually goes, why didn't all or almost all of them get married to people they met later in life, like during their job training or actual work or whatever?
I have no statistics, but how many people actually get married to their school sweetheart? Those relationships tend not to be very long-lived.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
To me, the Harry/Hermione paring seemed like the obvious choice from book 1. I'm glad that Rowling subverted those expectations, because they worked far better together as friends. Adding in sexual tension between them in books 5-7 would have turned the series into something closer to Twilight.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
I wonder how much of that is a genuine statement and how much of that is just to try and get the Shippers to shut up.

Joseph Harrison

Apr 5, 2010
I don't understand what she means by wish fulfillment, like did she see herself in Hermione and always wanted to end up with a guy like Ron?

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
There seems to be absolutely no logical reason for them to end up together.
That's truth in television then, ey?
I've seen lots of couples like that, me ma and da included.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
You know what this means? I'M NOT CRAZY! Jesus, how fuckin' obvious was that? It's one of the weirdest relationships in fiction ever.
Signa said:
I'm glad that Rowling subverted those expectations
Yeah, what a fuckin' life changing plot twist.

Kinitawowi

Nov 21, 2012
I vaguely remember complaining to a friend around the second or third book that Ron didn't ever really seem to be developing as a character; he responded that Ron wasn't likely to change much, because he was based on a personal acquaintance of JK.

That was about when I realised that she was too personally involved in her own story to tell it properly; people thought Bella Swan as Stephenie Meyer's stand-in was lousy, but Hermione being JK Rofling's really isn't much better. It was pretty obvious by the end that she'd decided what she wanted the endgame relationships to be, but had no idea how to actually write it to make them convincing (hence the 19 Years Later cop out).

Ron/Hermione never offended me to the extent that Harry/Ginny did, though. Harry/Hermione would have made dramatic sense but would have fallen foul of every cliché in the book; Ron/Hermione isn't much better.

I'm waiting for people to chime in that Ron shouldn't have "ended up" with anybody, because relationship as reward blah blah feminism etc.

Ultimately, it's all moot unless she writes an eighth book. HP7 ended the way it did; that's the canon and that's what we've got to work with. It's shite, but that's the story.

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
I'm starting to get the feeling that Rowling is a one note author, and she knows it.

She hasn't written anything of note since Book 7, and she's constantly trying to find new ways for the series to end up in the news so that she can entice more people to buy the books. I like Harry Potter, but I'm just beginning to see that maybe Rowling is either not that talented of a writer, or simply will never be able to get out of the shadow of her own success with Harry Potter.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
To be honest, I do remember thinking that Harry & Hermoine's personalities seem to gel much better, even if they never really showed that much interest in it. It would have been cliche as hell though, I'm glad it didn't happen, but it doesn't stop Harry & Ginny and Ron & Hermione having very little chemistry.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
You mean make the characters even more obvious than they already were? Yeah why not.

I mean, when one of the primary antagonists is called 'Draco Malfoy', what else can you expect?

Varya

Elvish Ambassador
Nov 23, 2009
Come on Escapist, I love you guys, but putting headlines like this is just clickbait, bordering on lies. She never said anything on Hermione/Harry and it's not like people need incentive to read any article on HP.