Has a book ever made you cry?

meditator101

Dec 10, 2009
Honestly? I sobbed in response to "Frankenstein"

The whole situation sucks for all the characters involved!

Harlemura

Ace Defective
May 1, 2009
Not that I recall.
Since I feel the need to bring it up in nearly every book thread, Skulduggery Pleasant certainly made me sad. Especially near the end of the most recent one, Mortal Coil, when...
we're told Tanith is probably bound to the remnant for good.
Don't know why Tanith coming back to visit Valkyrie made me even more sad. I'm such a sap...

Vesamne

Jan 25, 2010
"Of Mice and Men"

"Atonement"

"The Kite Runner"

"Oscar and the Lady in Pink", by Eric-Emmanuel Schmidt (one of the best writers of our time, in my opinion)

Tucker154

Jul 20, 2009
At the end of the prologe of Halo: Ghost of Onxe shed a few tears because of the thought of something like that happening,but other than that,no.

Nietz

Dec 1, 2009
Elizabite by H.a Rey made me cry when I was young. can't really remember why though.

dark metal prince

Aug 18, 2010
-Zen- said:
Many times. Hell, I cried just a couple of days ago reading The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss. Kvothe's story can really tug at my heartstrings at times.
It's out already?!!! Sweet!!

Cogwheel said:
The finale of the Bartimaeus series. Third book, Ptolemy's Gate, ending thereof. You know the one. If you ever read the series, anyway, which you should.
The very last paragraph, right? Same here. Did you hear there's a new Bartimaeus book out?

I've never actually cried, but I've come close because of the following books:
The Pigman
The Pigman's Legacy
Of Mice and Men

Cogwheel

Apr 3, 2010
dark metal prince said:
Cogwheel said:
The finale of the Bartimaeus series. Third book, Ptolemy's Gate, ending thereof. You know the one. If you ever read the series, anyway, which you should.
The very last paragraph, right? Same here. Did you hear there's a new Bartimaeus book out?
That hammered it home, but really, it stated from the moment when I realized that

No, Nathaniel didn't survive.

Also, I'm aware that there's a new book. Seeing as I'm poor, though, I won't be getting it for some time.

The Pigman
The Pigman's Legacy
Of Mice and Men
Ow. That book.

"Tell me about the rabbits"?

Joepow

Jan 10, 2011
The endings of the sixth Harry Potter book and the second His Old Materials book brought tears to my eyes.

Zaverexus

Jul 5, 2010
I've read a ton of books, but oddly enough it was Among the Hidden at a certain event I won't give away if you haven't read it (you'll know if you had). Closest a book has ever come to making me cry, though I held it back because I happened to be sitting in the men's locker room at the time.

dark metal prince

Aug 18, 2010
Cogwheel said:
dark metal prince said:
Cogwheel said:
That hammered it home, but really, it stated from the moment when I realized that

No, Nathaniel didn't survive.

Also, I'm aware that there's a new book. Seeing as I'm poor, though, I won't be getting it for some time.

The Pigman
The Pigman's Legacy
Of Mice and Men
Ow. That book.

"Tell me about the rabbits"?
Not only that, but the combination of Bartimaeus' personality, combined with the ambiguous last phrase (I don't know how to put the spoiler thing) that leaves you wondering if he considered him in the same way as Ptolemy, and the overall picture.

That sucks dude, where I live it's quite expensive, so I might wait a bit too.

Oh yes, the rabbits... :/

beer_nuts

Dec 27, 2010
the god delusion....

when dawkins speaks of a group of christians in the US who murdered 2 doctors because they were linked to performing abortions...

it made me weep a little. how could they take a life away so brutally, for the cause of saving potential life....

Mr Somewhere

Mar 9, 2011
Various works by Mr. Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes and The Martian Chronicles in particular. he has a unique unparalleled touch I can only describe as human. Very easily my favourite writer. A great storyteller, with a keen understanding of human emotion.

Kuroneko97

Aug 1, 2010
Mr Cwtchy said:
Harry Potter did.

You all know which part ;_;

Edit: Actually multiple parts, but the specific ones are still obvious.
That. And some moments in the Series of Unfortunate Events.

Monkfish Acc. said:
When I was about ten I cried while reading the first Darren Shan book. At the part where he's faking his death and is awake and aware during his own funeral.
And this, but I mostly cried in the later books. I know the last one was the one I cried at the most, and in the ninth book where...aw, that might spoil it for some. But those who have read it know...*sniff*

notyouraveragejoe

Dehakchakala!
Nov 8, 2008
The Stand - Stephen King

When Nick dies from the bomb going off....heart breaking for me. I loved him, he's awesome