Has a game ever scared you to the point that you couldn't play?

Bostur

Mar 14, 2011
Besides Amnesia the only game that got unplayably scary for me for a while was Half-Life 2. There is a level where Freeman must cross a girder bridge, that level invoked a degree of acrophobia I haven't experienced in a game before. I got through it by deliberately jumping down a few times to get used to the idea of falling to my death. ;-)

Fortunately I'm not afraid of spiders, that could disqualify a lot of games.

Nerexor

Mar 23, 2009
ultrachicken said:
In Shadow of the Colossus, I was following my light beam to the next baddie, when I came over a ridge and saw it was pointing at a lake.
"Oh, no," I thought, "Don't do this, game."
I moved forward and saw that I was, indeed, being directed to the middle of the lake.
So I stopped playing.
See, at the time, I had a crippling fear of giant sea monsters. Something about being in the water, unable to even access air and with every angle being an exposed point, while a giant, barely visible creature closes in on me just freaked me the fuck out. Still does, but I have somewhat better control over it. The fact that I'm a piss-poor swimmer (though I do know how) doesn't help things.
So, on the sneaking suspicion that the game would make me fight a sea-serpent or something of that nature, I abandoned an otherwise amazing game. Still haven't gotten back into it.
I had the same reaction to that area, but that colossus isn't actually a sea monster. I won't say anything else, but as far as I know there are NO underwater colossi or enemies in the game.

Ever since that damn shark thing in Half Life 1, that's been my reaction to underwater monsters in FPS games though, so I understand.

The game that I stopped playing was Dead Space. Partly because I loathed the aiming mechanics, which move sooooo... slow.... ly..... And partly because getting ripped at by horrors who know how to switch the lighting effects in every room to "strobelight" freaked me out.

In general for horror games I find I do a lot better if I turn off their soundtrack, and substitute my own music in one ear.

Redingold

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Mar 28, 2009
Amnesia never actually got me to turn the game off, but I did stand next to a light for several minutes working up the courage to continue.

mooncalf

<Insert Avatar Here>
Jul 3, 2008
Amnesia. There was a section where I had to sneak past a thing I couldn't look at without getting screen jitters, and I thought I'd made it past free and clear, I'd *just* relaxed when the string music started screeching, it shocked the hell out of me and my dude got brutally murdered. Rather than pick up at my last save, I left the game alone for about a week before continuing. Sure I had other things to play, that's what I told myself...

Death Carr

Less Than 3D
Mar 30, 2011
Motherfucking Icthyosaur in HL1.
Underwater sections were already hard enough without having the fucking thing tearing towards you in the murky as fuck water.

[sub]Yes, that did warrant all those swears[/sub]

Porecomesis

Jul 10, 2010
Playing Half-Life 2, I found myself in Ravenholm. I managed to get by well enough by putting the audio way down and playing that awesome version of Guile's Theme.

However, I officially called it quits when I saw my first Poison Zombie.

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
When I was a lot younger I rented Chicken Run for the PS1 - the dogs scared the living crap out of me =S I'm sure if I rented it again now Id laugh and no game has really stopped me playing it since then but each game in the Silent Hill series has taken me a good while to finish...

Grey Day for Elcia

Jan 15, 2012
TheSniperFan said:
Grey Day for Elcia said:
[...]scared over nothing[...]
That's kind of my point.
If you "properly" immerse, then it's:
You fighting an ugly monster. It's you that fights for his live.
And not just:
You sitting in front of a monitor, watching how some not-existing monster fights someone not-existing in a not existing world.
So, your opinion of what is scary is now the objective standard for others, too? Cool story.

The Human Torch

Sep 12, 2010
Alex Cowan said:
There's a reason we don't go to Ravenholm...

Seriously, headcrab zombies scared the life out of me. I still haven't finished Half Life 2 because of the sewers when you return to City 17 at the end -.-
Those zombies are just too silly. It helps if you just think of them as clowns. Just funny little things that do no real damage. Except for the ones for the combine zombies, who run at you with grenades. Those sucks.

OT: Amnesia: Dark Descent. I think that I managed to play for like 30 minutes, and after replacing my underwear for the 4th time, I had enough of it.

mikeybuthge

Apr 28, 2010
Silent hill 4, I'd just moved into my apartment... the thought of a living space as an entity... that leads to places in a haunted town [/shudder]

Alex Cowan

Feb 13, 2010
The Human Torch said:
Alex Cowan said:
There's a reason we don't go to Ravenholm...

Seriously, headcrab zombies scared the life out of me. I still haven't finished Half Life 2 because of the sewers when you return to City 17 at the end -.-
Those zombies are just too silly. It helps if you just think of them as clowns. Just funny little things that do no real damage. Except for the ones for the combine zombies, who run at you with grenades. Those sucks.

OT: Amnesia: Dark Descent. I think that I managed to play for like 30 minutes, and after replacing my underwear for the 4th time, I had enough of it.
I think I'm fine now. Conquered my fear with intensive crowbar-based therapy XD Really don't want to try Amnesia now, though...

Toshiooh

Mar 17, 2011
for me it was two half life mods by the same guys, afraid of monsters and cry of fear. Confusion and lot's of scary corridors and perfectly timed jump scares got me.

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
Mordekaien said:
I've got past those pesky buggers from Amnesia quite easily (Near the end of the game I wasn't even scared when they popped up), however, there's a reason why I don't play STALKER anymore. See, I manage to go through the first few zones quite easily and then I hit that

Motherfucking Bloodsucker waiting for you in that dark tunnel

I know he's there, but he still scares me like hell.

Also, spider levels in Dak Messiah of M&M. Fuck those things.
Oh, God, that bit. I do love that part though. My friend and I have a contest. Jack difficulty right up, only use pistol. Who'll kill it faster?

I tend to crouch, and make all my bullets hit, but he sprays and runs more. Fun time.

First time I saw that place though, had no idea what to expect, and promptly pissed my pants.

Valdimarr Ravenkin

Apr 7, 2011
I would have to say vampire masquerade bloodlines when you go into the haunted hotel. Had to stop at one point then just play it with the sound off.

RESURRECTION21

comrade
Mar 7, 2011
resident evil 0 it was my first re game but then agian i was 12 when i first played it i replayed it later and it did not creep me out