Has a game ever scared you to the point that you couldn't play?

Jun 13, 2011
I was playing Amnesia, until I got to the water monster. That game went uninstalled for 6 months before I finally finished it.

Also, Doom 3 isn't that scary to me. The only reason that I haven't finished it is because I keep dying. Having no HUD makes seeing your health difficult, but it's fun to play like that. I wish more games had no HUD.

Biodeamon

Apr 11, 2011
The ornage box in two diffirent games.

the first time i got scared shitless by the sounds emaninating from a door and spent 30 an hour trying to bring up the courage to open the door.

and the second time being in portal when i just saw a door lying there and i just got an extreme dread from the door and was scared to even see if i open it. i shut down the game and haven't played portal since.

thetruefallen

Mar 12, 2008
the blind mask clip from the first Project Zero (Fatal Frame) scared me pretty bad back in the day, stopped played for like 20 minuets to get my nerve back together.

Bill Nye the Zombie

Apr 27, 2012
Doclector said:
Binnsyboy said:
Doclector said:
BLAHwhatever said:
Yeah, well.
Dead Space.
Dude needs explosives. 2 parts. one in the laboratory or something. k np.
2nd part is in the morgue.
And I was like.
No thanks.
"You want me to go to the morgue? In an outbreak of things that spawn from dead bodies?"

As much as people take the p*** out of dead space for it being watered down modern horror, it still does have it's moments.
There's a moment like that in Metro 2033. Cursed Station.

Metro does manage the atmosphere very well, and it's like: Okay, so we're pinned here with the survivors because waves of monsters keep coming out of the dark tunnel. Here's vague directions to explosives and more vague directions to the points you need to plant them at. Both where the monsters are coming straight from. Oh, you want help? Don't be crazy, a guy could get killed out there!

Not that that stopped me from playing, but it gave me pause for thought.
I swear to god, if khan wasn't so awesome, I'd have tried to punch him right there.
I was more of a fan of Burbon, so I hated the bandit city metro and what happened to him. *sniffle*

OT: Bioshock. I got through the first level ok, the opening was creepy as hell. The Medical Pavilion though, God that sucked. I still can hardly get through a replay without wanting a big skip level button. The Atmosphere, and the fact that this was really the first time you got to see Splicers in a scary way (That guy near the tonic scared the ever living shit out of me) was really what got me. And Dr. Stienman's(?) boss fight was the worst thing in the game for me. I almost couldn't do it. The only other level on par with the Medical Pavilion is Arcadia, and thats just more of, "Where the hell is that...... there he was. Damn it."

hi-im-paige

Jun 5, 2012
Everyone seems to have been scared of games that were supposed to be somewhat terrifying...Majora's Mask came out when I was around 8 years old, I rented it from Blockbuster and had to take it back immediately because I was so terrified of the moon. Every time I caught even a passing glance of it, screams. I didn't gather up the courage to play it again until a few years ago. So that's my story.

Harkonnen64

Jul 14, 2010
ultrachicken said:
In Shadow of the Colossus, I was following my light beam to the next baddie, when I came over a ridge and saw it was pointing at a lake.
"Oh, no," I thought, "Don't do this, game."
I moved forward and saw that I was, indeed, being directed to the middle of the lake.
So I stopped playing.
See, at the time, I had a crippling fear of giant sea monsters. Something about being in the water, unable to even access air and with every angle being an exposed point, while a giant, barely visible creature closes in on me just freaked me the fuck out. Still does, but I have somewhat better control over it. The fact that I'm a piss-poor swimmer (though I do know how) doesn't help things.
So, on the sneaking suspicion that the game would make me fight a sea-serpent or something of that nature, I abandoned an otherwise amazing game. Still haven't gotten back into it.
Solaire of Astora said:
Well, I'm kind of the biggest wimp ever. The smallest things will discourage me from playing the game...like Killer Croc in Arkham Asylum or the giant shark. For some reason I fear just about everything that swims and wants to cause an instant game over in every game I play.

So if it's already this bad with a non-horror game where you play as the most badass superhero in existence, you can probably imagine how I felt playing a game like Dead Space 2, where even though most of the horror is considered by most to be jump scares and not real horror, I was shivering.

God forbid I ever get the chance to play Amnesia. I'll probably die.
Lol, you guys remind me of one of my favorite quotes from a crack.com article:

"No matter how afraid you think you are of the ocean, you're not afraid enough."

I remember when there were first rumors of boss monsters being added to minecraft and thinking, "Oh god, not the Kracken..."

Clinky

Jan 5, 2012
For halloween my college's gaming club picked a different horror-based game each week. One week it was Resident Evil 5 and I decided to join in for a little bit and we went around, did pretty good for a while. We got to the point where you are going around in an airboat and running around grass huts. We had to tread through water by ourselves at a point to get to a couple of other ones. I took one step into the water when some creepy music started playing.

I immediately raised my controller into the air and called out "Okay who wants to go next? Cause I draw the line at scary things in the water."

It turned out to just be a crocodile but the thought of fighting in water has always been VERY nerve wrecking for me. Not being able to tell where the hell something is or where it's going to come from. EUGH.

Mr.logic

Nov 18, 2009
when I was young and I entered the first room in metroid prime with the huge dead monster.

I stopped playing that game for months because I though it would come to life.

Malyc

Bullets... they don't affect me.
Feb 17, 2010
I know I'm gonna sound like a pussy for this, but Amnesia...

I had been playing for roughly 2 hours at this point, opened a door, turned around cause I thought I heard something (the game plays on your instincts very well, I was fucking paranoid at that point) and there's a mother fucking wraith floating DIRECTLY BEHIND ME, with one hand reaching out to me.

ESC *quit*

Havn't gone back...

Detheroth

Oct 23, 2010
Saromnour said:
I was playing Amnesia, until I got to the water monster. That game went uninstalled for 6 months before I finally finished it.

Also, Doom 3 isn't that scary to me. The only reason that I haven't finished it is because I keep dying. Having no HUD makes seeing your health difficult, but it's fun to play like that. I wish more games had no HUD.
YES! I was playing and had breezed through the lab puzzle with the chemicals and was actually starting to think "Huh, this isn't that scary after all :S" I don't seem to get frightened by creepy music and dark rooms (Was playing with headphones on loud in a dark room etc).

Got down into the flooded cellar and the second I took a step and heard this thing fucking charging at me and nearly had to change underwear. I had to turn the game off and not play for over an hour. Fucking invisible water monsters that you can't outrun... NOPE. Once you physically can't see what it is that is destroying you, I find it hard to keep going.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Bioshock. That moment in the medical Pavilion, or more precisely the morgue when you're walking through the small flooded section and the lights go out, I was so scared I run back out and it took me a month to get back in there.

The next time I went in, looted everything in that small room, came out and nearly had a heart attack when the splicer jumped out the freezer at me, it took me yet another month to get back to it again.

I swear I was much more scared in that morgue than I was for the whole 2 hours I played Amnesia, I guess the jumpy bits in horror effect me more than spooky noises and flickering lights.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Nyaliva said:
Amnesia: The Dark Descent.

'Nuff said.

Seriously, I played for a while and it eventually got scary enough that i could force my friend to play. He played for a long time until he eventually locked himself in a room with the monster. Turned around and screamed. Neither of us have played it since although my friend tries every now and then, plays for 2 minutes and becomes catatonic. Although watching playthroughs of SCP-Containment Breach, I doubt I could play that for very long.
Yeah, I played through Amnesia along with a friend (as in, we both played it on separate computers in the same room, at the same time), and we had a rule that we had to play it late at night and with all of the lights off. I had already watched and LP so I knew what to expect for the most part, but it was pretty hilarious that whenever a monster would spawn he would just start chanting "Fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck." I still remember once where he was trying to race away from one and barricade it behind doors by swinging them closed after running through and he ended up closing the door in his own face before he got through. He didn't get away.

I still haven't powered my way through the Choir, though...

Fallere825

Mar 8, 2012
Well, the only game I haven't finished due to fear (at least at first) was the original Diablo, I made it as far as the butchered man laying in front of the cathedral and then turned the game off, although I was 4 at the time and the only experience I had had with games before this was just watching my brother play.

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
Closest I've ever gotten to that point is Ravenholm in Half Life 2. I think I was playing at dark when I first entered that zone. As soon as I saw a few dangling corpses and zombies shuffling towards me, wanting to eat me as I screamed for help...

I shut it off for the night. I did however, pass it with more ease the next day, but every time I replay HL2, I always go to the start menu to skip to the antlion level.

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
Wait! When I was a kid, I played Crash Bandicoot and the Revenge of Cortex (or something like that) on the original xbox. There was a section where you got chased by a giant freaking dragon through a hallway, and the camera was at an angle facing you to where you couldn't see what was in front of you. You could only see the dragon frantically trying to eat you.

I was like, 6, at the time, so I couldn't take it. Didn't pick it back up till I was 10.

Captcha: rack your brains

I guess I just did.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
Due to how much it gets mentioned in all of these "scary games" threads, I think we can oficially add Amnesia: The Dark Descent to the big book of "Greatest Horror Games Ever".
In fact, one of the most nightmarish moments in Amnesia that I had wasn't being chased by a monster, but fear that I might run into one. The sense of dread that the mutated slaves of Brennenburg might be waiting right around the corner is every bit as tense as knowing that there's one a few feet behind you.
And then of course there was the one time in which I thought a crossing monster was a scripted hallucination (as I did on my first playthrough), so I promptly walked out from cover... only to have him turn and start towards me.
I turned the game off.
I finished it, but as desensitised as I am to horror (I've been watching horror films since I was like 4, and I now know nearly every trick in the book), that game was nerve-wracking and horrifying.
"A Machine for Pigs" has a lot to live up to.

Chalacachaca

May 15, 2011
The Re-Deads from Ocarina of Time were all fine by me, I was 10 years old when I played that game for the first time, and I even had a few laughs everytime they attacked Link, it always looked like they were molesting him.

But Skullturas...

That noise they make... how they suddenly appear out of nowhere, those empty eye sockets one bigger that the other one.
The way they move, how sometimes 3 of them appear AT THE SAME TIME. They're invulnerable as long as they're facing you, but vulnerable once they turn their backs on you... but then you see this fleshy exposed skin, and you wonder what in the hell this thing truly is. It has legs just like a spider... but is it one? no. It the definition of horror to me, skullturas in whichever size they choose to appear, whenever they regular, gigantic, small or golden, they are all horrible to me. I can't even see a screenshot of those fuckers.

Funniest thing is, I don't even have arachnophobia.

Oh, and I played Amnesia, no biggie until my character started losing his sanity and then cockroaches started appearing on my monitor. I would've accepted spiders, worms, whatever... even a fucking screamer, but noooooooooo, the devs had to go with cockroaches, well fuck that I ain't playing that game anymore.

Jan 29, 2009
Metroid Fusion was actually the worst for me. As a young lad, seeing SA-X for the first time was pants-crappingly scary. I soldiered on, kind of tense. Then, out of nowhere, THE FUCKING THING POPS UP AND STARTS CHASING YOU. You've been told the whole game that it is too powerful to fight, and when you run, that horrible music is playing, all the while I'm trying to find any place at all to hide.