Not open for further replies.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
No I think he was a troll. I also think he wanted to be called a troll and then deny it afterwards. I think he wanted to derail every conversation, and then be accused of doing so and then denying to get right wing cult props.
Well, I don't know what to tell you. Most people thought he was a troll, trolling is against the rules, Houseman posts a screenshot and a much, much harder to doctor gif showing the screen that says he was banned for trolling, I'm just going to use Occam's Razor and conclude that he was banned for trolling rather than he spent a long time combing through html and writing custom scripts* to convince us that he was banned for the thing that everybody already assumed he was banned for.

*I personally wouldn't know how to do that. Maybe @bluegate would be able to tell us how difficult something like that would be.

Last edited:

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Personally I suspect Houseman was, as they say, "on the spectrum".
Though I didn't use that term because I didn't want to excuse his BS or besmirch people who are autistic by association. My choice of words was something more like I suspected he had a mental issue of some sort.
I'm on the spectrum and I'm not remotely close to the kind of shitlord Houseman was. Dude had other things going on for sure. But who knows, I'm not him and I dunno if he has anything of any kind. He was just a mess as far as I could tell.

Whilst we are here, whatever happened to B-Cell?

Their account is gone too (and so are the weird threads), but they never seemed like one to break the rules
This actually really does bother me. What reason could there be to be to ban B-Cell? He was different and had specific tastes in games, but that's no reason to ban someone. Heck, he always seemed to get a lot of unnecessary crap from other users but I never saw him lash out or anything. I get Saelune, Yoshi, and Houseman getting banned, but B-Cell? Why should he have been banned?
I believe B-Cell got banned because he continued to remake the same threads repeatedly with barely any difference, for the sole purpose of spewing his own opinion and adding "thoughts?" to the end to give it the bare minimum of discussion value, while simultaneously proceeding to refute everyone and everything that went against his opinion, and only focused on things that reinforced his feelings. He refused to change, he refused to post anything of value, he refused to learn and listen, and it was clear he wasn't actually here for a "discussion." He just wanted a sounding board for his opinions

Reactions: Dalisclock

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I believe B-Cell got banned because he continued to remake the same threads repeatedly with barely any difference, for the sole purpose of spewing his own opinion and adding "thoughts?" to the end to give it the bare minimum of discussion value, while simultaneously proceeding to refute everyone and everything that went against his opinion, and only focused on things that reinforced his feelings. He refused to change, he refused to post anything of value, he refused to learn and listen, and it was clear he wasn't actually here for a "discussion." He just wanted a sounding board for his opinions
And that's a bannable offense? At least he was making threads, there aren't really enough people here actually doing that and there were usually some pretty good posts in the threads despite whatever B-Cell wrote and the usual B-Cell bashing. It's not like he was flooding the forums with threads, just one every couple of weeks or months.

More than anything I feel bad for him. He was obviously outside of the neuronormal of our 20-50 year old userbase and just wanted an area to express his opinions on what he liked or didn't like. He reminded me of my grandpa in a way. My grandpa was really into philosophy so I made him an account on an online philosophy forum. He was okay with computers but not really enough to handle logging in and formatting posts, so I would post for him. He spent a lot of time reading through threads, but not posting much because I needed to do it for him. When he wanted to make a post it was usually a new thread where he would give a long, rambling, and not entirely coherent description of his personal beliefs. There wasn't that much conventional 'discussion value' in his posts and near the end I had trouble getting them posted and was even banned one time without a reason given. Reading and posting on that forum was one of the highlights of his life, he would always be excited when one of his threads got a lot of comments or views even if they weren't positive, but he wasn't able to do it because people didn't think he had enough to contribute and couldn't express himself well enough anymore.

Anyway, I don't know B-Cell's situation, but I just think "what if it's similar to that." And it makes me sad that he might not be able to do something harmless that made him happy anymore.

Reactions: JoJo

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
And that's a bannable offense? At least he was making threads, there aren't really enough people here actually doing that and there were usually some pretty good posts in the threads despite whatever B-Cell wrote and the usual B-Cell bashing. It's not like he was flooding the forums with threads, just one every couple of weeks or months.

More than anything I feel bad for him. He was obviously outside of the neuronormal of our 20-50 year old userbase and just wanted an area to express his opinions on what he liked or didn't like. He reminded me of my grandpa in a way. My grandpa was really into philosophy so I made him an account on an online philosophy forum. He was okay with computers but not really enough to handle logging in and formatting posts, so I would post for him. He spent a lot of time reading through threads, but not posting much because I needed to do it for him. When he wanted to make a post it was usually a new thread where he would give a long, rambling, and not entirely coherent description of his personal beliefs. There wasn't that much conventional 'discussion value' in his posts and near the end I had trouble getting them posted and was even banned one time without a reason given. Reading and posting on that forum was one of the highlights of his life, he would always be excited when one of his threads got a lot of comments or views even if they weren't positive, but he wasn't able to do it because people didn't think he had enough to contribute and couldn't express himself well enough anymore.

Anyway, I don't know B-Cell's situation, but I just think "what if it's similar to that." And it makes me sad that he might not be able to do something harmless that made him happy anymore.
Did your grandpa look at the posts that people made on his threads and actually learn from them, develop his way of thinking further, and make an effort to have his ideas challenged in hopes he might learn something new? Did he bring new, varied topics every now and again, going into different trains of thought? If he did any 1 of those things, he did many times more than B-Cell ever did.

Like Houseman, I think it was death by a thousand cuts. The mods saw B-Cell making these threads for YEARS on the V1 forum, and he never once changed his opinions or changed his format in any way. He just swapped out some words, changed the title, changed the topic, but otherwise the thread could be note for note copy-pastes from his previous ones. It got to the point here where it would devolve into bashing (In which I admit I took part in) because many of us wanted him so deeply to evolve even just a tiny bit. But I think it became clear that even years down the line he was still spouting the same copy-pasted nonsense that the threads ended up not being remotely about his "discussion" topic, and the mods felt it better to cut him out.

There's a clear attitude I get from the rules and leadership here that you have to be open to other people's opinions, and be ready to develop from the discussion and hopefully change and grow along with it, rather than just come here to spout one's opinion and refuse to budge even the tiniest inch, because that defeats the purpose of the discussion. If everyone else' opinions don't matter, then like I said before, the forum's just being used as a sounding board for one's opinion and nothing more. It's fine to have our values and opinions and hold them close. But unless we're here to actually be challenged and learn new things and hear new opinions, then why bother making a "discussion" post in the first place?

Several people including myself tried to teach him, help him improve his topics and discussions, broaden his perspective, and so on. We genuinely wanted better topics from him, we wanted him to improve. B-Cell made it clear he didn't post to "discuss" like he said, or to learn, or to change, and he kept that up for years. And that's what did him in. He was just filling empty space only for himself as far as we and the mods could tell. There's a reason he earned the nickname "Biased-Cell" among a few users

Last edited:

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
To clear things up, I can confirm the ban reason in the screenshot is genuine. As Tippy said, though, it was very much a case of death by a thousand cuts.

This actually really does bother me. What reason could there be to be to ban B-Cell? He was different and had specific tastes in games, but that's no reason to ban someone. Heck, he always seemed to get a lot of unnecessary crap from other users but I never saw him lash out or anything. I get Saelune, Yoshi, and Houseman getting banned, but B-Cell? Why should he have been banned?
B-cell was banned for making racist and body-shaming remarks in a Gaming Discussion thread.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Also starting with - Hello Friends

Reactions: BrawlMan

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
B-Cell made it clear he didn't post to "discuss" like he said, or to learn, or to change, and he kept that up for years. And that's what did him in. He was just filling empty space only for himself as far as we and the mods could tell. There's a reason he earned the nickname "Biased-Cell" among a few users
I'm guessing the undercurrents of racism, sexism and other such fun stuff also didn't do him many favours either.
B-cell was banned for making racist and body-shaming remarks in a Gaming Discussion thread.
Welp, beaten to it. Guess that answers that then.

MrCalavera

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
Poland
I don't know. To me he seemed to be one of those guys who always plays devil's advocate on internet forums, annoying if you get caught up in the arguments but otherwise harmless. I'm not sure where all the stuff about lies and racism and fascism comes from, but then I didn't pay much attention to most of the threads he posted in.
Well, for me, he stopped being worth "debating" when he went on a rant that elections should be held by the military.
When someone constantly carries water for fascist solutions like, does it matter if they do it for "the sake of it", or out of genuine believes?

Agreed. Personally I suspect Houseman was, as they say, "on the spectrum".
I don't think you try to conflate those two things, but just to be clear: You can be "on the spectrum" and not act like an asshole on an online forum. And vice versa.

I wonder what happened to people like Lil Devils, Iron and Abomination
Lil Devils only posted in R&P and stopped as soon as the US presidential election was over. Either she lost interest by that point, or coincidentally life got in the way. Who knows.
Iron stopped posting a while before that, i think. He also radiated channer energy.
I haven't seen Abomination posting for a whiiiiile. I think not since v2 forums atleast.

Well, that's a shame. His threadposting was a bit annoying, but seemed ultimately harmless.

Last edited:

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
I'm on the spectrum and I'm not remotely close to the kind of shitlord Houseman was. Dude had other things going on for sure. But who knows, I'm not him and I dunno if he has anything of any kind. He was just a mess as far as I could tell.
I don't mean to say he may have been autistic spectrum as a pejorative or as an explanation for much of what he believed.

It's more just that there was a sort of set of behaviours / attitudes in the way he interacted he had in common with quite a few other people I've encountered who say they are autistic: elements of obsessiveness, obstinacy, not quite getting people and their communication, and fixation on logic. These can be aggravating for other people, but they don't make someone a "shitlord".

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
[B-Cell's] threadposting was a bit annoying, but seemed ultimately harmless.
It always makes me a little bit sad when people that don't have a good handle on online conversations get baited into replying emotionally without finesse which is then taken as proof that they are an asshole. Then again at some point enough is enough, but B-Cell was routinely antagonized for liking male action heroes in the games he played. It was clear he couldn't put his irrational dismissal of female PCs in games into words. His threads were often annoying for sure though.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Lil Devils only posted in R&P and stopped as soon as the US presidential election was over. Either she lost interest by that point, or coincidentally life got in the way. Who knows.
I also seem to recall something about needing surgery.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
*I personally wouldn't know how to do that. Maybe @bluegate would be able to tell us how difficult something like that would be.
Weird that. Never got an alert for that mention 🤷‍♂️

Although it has already been confirmed, the answer to your question would have been "easy as pie if you know what you're doing, hard as nails if you don't.".
That said, I agreed with your application of Occam's Razor though. Seemed like too elaborate a stunt.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Damn, shows how much I'm around here these days, but I didn't realise he was that sort (dismissiveness towards female PC's notwithstanding (indicative though it may have been, I didn't see any overt misogyny)), given I only saw his posts complaining about games that weren't anything but his most idealised of FPS's.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
6 fucking pages devoted to someone banned? Why don't you all stroke his ego-cock a bit more? Seriously, don't feed internet trolls, ESPECIALLY AFTER they've been removed from the site.
I was thinking the same thing, he must be honoured that so many people who didn't really like him that much have made such a long thread about him. I'm sure it could have been,

"Has Houseman been banned?"
"Yep."
"Cool, close the thread."

Anyway, on the subject of unpopular banned users, I miss...EPIC WYNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He was fun:).

Status
Not open for further replies.