Has MovieBob been fired from ScrewAttack?

Kieran Freemantle

New member
Feb 11, 2014
24
0
0
After The Escapist and MovieBob parted ways MovieBob ended up working as a freelancer for ScrewAttack. But he has not a video for them for over a month, so it made me wonder has he been let go again?
 

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
33,804
0
0
I have no idea, but I think you'd probably get a better answer from either his Twitter account or ScrewAttack's.
 

Fappy

\[T]/
May 1, 2020
12,010
0
0
Country
United States
If he's freelancing I wouldn't expect consistent content. Also, he wouldn't really be fired... they would just tell him they're not interested in his content anymore. I don't see why they would "fire" him anyway. His videos get decent views last time I checked.
 

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
3,257
0
0
IIRC he explained on his site that ScrewAttack's adopting a season-style approach to content. His shows are having a break and will be back when another show goes on a break.
 

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
13,768
0
0
Nah, he was only contracted to do a set number of episodes for them from the start.

Apparently it's normal for them to do their content in "seasons".
 

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
8,687
0
0
Wait wait wait.........

You're telling me people still care about MovieBob? Mr. "I Can't Review Anything Without Forcing My Personal Political Beliefs Upon The Audience While Judging The Thing I'm Reviewing Based Upon Said Personal Political Beliefs"?

Wow, that's a long name. :p
 

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Apr 10, 2020
1,825
6
43
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
Gender
Female
RJ 17 said:
Wait wait wait.........

You're telling me people still care about MovieBob? Mr. "I Can't Review Anything Without Forcing My Personal Political Beliefs Upon The Audience While Judging The Thing I'm Reviewing Based Upon Said Personal Political Beliefs"?

Wow, that's a long name. :p
Yeah. He's even got a paying gig at screenrant, and got a lot of positive press for his Pixels review. General opinion is escapist letting him go was essentially taking the ol double barrels to their own foot.
 

Roboshi

New member
Jul 28, 2008
229
0
0
RJ 17 said:
Wait wait wait.........

You're telling me people still care about MovieBob? Mr. "I Can't Review Anything Without Forcing My Personal Political Beliefs Upon The Audience While Judging The Thing I'm Reviewing Based Upon Said Personal Political Beliefs"?

Wow, that's a long name. :p
I generally try to avoid MB myself, he got a cameo in an extra credits video and I just skipped it the moment he turned up. I mean I've disagreed with content creators online like Total biscuit and Jim Sterling but their conduct online has often been in a way that, at least to me, demonstrated that they would at least listen to opposing views and engage in a reasonable discussion. Moviebob just ranted on twitter and demonised anyone that disagreed with him.
 

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
8,687
0
0
Roboshi said:
I generally try to avoid MB myself, he got a cameo in an extra credits video and I just skipped it the moment he turned up. I mean I've disagreed with content creators online like Total biscuit and Jim Sterling but their conduct online has often been in a way that, at least to me, demonstrated that they would at least listen to opposing views and engage in a reasonable discussion. Moviebob just ranted on twitter and demonised anyone that disagreed with him.
My point exactly. I don't mind an opinionated critic...hell, being a critic almost necessitates being opinionated by default. I just didn't like the way he handled himself the majority of the time.

Windknight said:
Yeah. He's even got a paying gig at screenrant, and got a lot of positive press for his Pixels review. General opinion is escapist letting him go was essentially taking the ol double barrels to their own foot.
Did the Escapist get rid of him? I thought he was the one who decided to leave, much like Jim Sterling.
 

Roboshi

New member
Jul 28, 2008
229
0
0
RJ 17 said:
Did the Escapist get rid of him? I thought he was the one who decided to leave, much like Jim Sterling.
Officially he "left" but as with any company working with an employee it's murky. Plus I believe any theories about how he left got deleted or banned. So I can only state the fact he "left" after some rather public twitter rants about a certain internet movement. If you want some actual info I'd suggest just looking up some youtube info on bob's meltdown.
 

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
8,687
0
0
Roboshi said:
RJ 17 said:
Did the Escapist get rid of him? I thought he was the one who decided to leave, much like Jim Sterling.
Officially he "left" but as with any company working with an employee it's murky. Plus I believe any theories about how he left got deleted or banned. So I can only state the fact he "left" after some rather public twitter rants about a certain internet movement. If you want some actual info I'd suggest just looking up some youtube info on bob's meltdown.
Ohhhh yeah, I remember that whole thing. I thought he had left shortly before that...forgot that the whole situation went down just before he "left".

Slice said:
RJ 17 said:
Wait wait wait.........

You're telling me people still care about MovieBob? Mr. "I Can't Review Anything Without Forcing My Personal Political Beliefs Upon The Audience While Judging The Thing I'm Reviewing Based Upon Said Personal Political Beliefs"?

Wow, that's a long name. :p
Presumably that is why some people care; he speaks their language.
Ah, so it's an example of Rush Limbaugh Syndrome.
 

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
4,860
0
0
RJ 17 said:
Wait wait wait.........

You're telling me people still care about MovieBob? Mr. "I Can't Review Anything Without Forcing My Personal Political Beliefs Upon The Audience While Judging The Thing I'm Reviewing Based Upon Said Personal Political Beliefs"?

Wow, that's a long name. :p
You know, I'm very opposite of most of his political views but I do enjoy the way he reviews movies. Sure, he has some reviews that are just throwaway political grandstanding disguised as reviews which renders them useless and sure as a person he can be particularly inflammatory about anyone he disagrees with.

But as a movie reviewer who understands how films work he is superb and is able to connect the dots between one film and another as well as give a nice educational lesson on why things were or are the way they were or are. I have missed him in his absence and wish him well in his endeavors.
 

Fappy

\[T]/
May 1, 2020
12,010
0
0
Country
United States
He can be somewhat insufferable sometimes, but I generally find him entertaining/informative. He's no RedLetterMedia in regards to movie review content, but he's still worth a watch imo.
 

monkeymangler

New member
Feb 9, 2016
212
0
0
Around the third time he implied that I needed to kill myself, or not vote, or not drive because of the type of movie I enjoy I decided to tune him out.

I don't wish him harm, but I would have a good laugh if wolverines ate his face and crapped it onto his desk.
 

Ragsnstitches

New member
Dec 2, 2009
1,871
0
0
I assume whatever is going down between Bob and Screwattack is contract related, as Bob is working freelance. He's still doing reviews on his own channel, though they are lite versions of what he typically does (his delivery is the same, just less video editing):


He also only recently posted a tweet saying he was proud to be associated with them (it was related to some sort of anniversary).

Bobs doing well for himself, despite how destructive his forced departure was for him and how consistently people berate him on absolutely any piece of media he appears in (from tweets to simply being named in a video).
 

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
8,687
0
0
Lightknight said:
RJ 17 said:
Wait wait wait.........

You're telling me people still care about MovieBob? Mr. "I Can't Review Anything Without Forcing My Personal Political Beliefs Upon The Audience While Judging The Thing I'm Reviewing Based Upon Said Personal Political Beliefs"?

Wow, that's a long name. :p
You know, I'm very opposite of most of his political views but I do enjoy the way he reviews movies. Sure, he has some reviews that are just throwaway political grandstanding disguised as reviews which renders them useless and sure as a person he can be particularly inflammatory about anyone he disagrees with.

But as a movie reviewer who understands how films work he is superb and is able to connect the dots between one film and another as well as give a nice educational lesson on why things were or are the way they were or are. I have missed him in his absence and wish him well in his endeavors.
And that's why I bothered watching his videos while he was still here: from time to time he could give good insight into the movie industry by pointing out and making observations going on within the industry.

However what you say in your first paragraph is why I didn't bother following him to youtube to continue watching him after he was gone from this sight...it seemed like more often than not his reviews would indeed just be political grandstanding disguised as a review which does indeed render that review pointless.

Now if your reviewing a political movie that's based around current events, going into your personal politics is to be expected. But if you're reviewing It Follows, no one cares what your thoughts on global warming are (note: I don't know if Bob reviewed that movie and if he did I don't know if he talked about global warming, I was just making a random example).
 

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
4,860
0
0
RJ 17 said:
Lightknight said:
RJ 17 said:
Wait wait wait.........

You're telling me people still care about MovieBob? Mr. "I Can't Review Anything Without Forcing My Personal Political Beliefs Upon The Audience While Judging The Thing I'm Reviewing Based Upon Said Personal Political Beliefs"?

Wow, that's a long name. :p
You know, I'm very opposite of most of his political views but I do enjoy the way he reviews movies. Sure, he has some reviews that are just throwaway political grandstanding disguised as reviews which renders them useless and sure as a person he can be particularly inflammatory about anyone he disagrees with.

But as a movie reviewer who understands how films work he is superb and is able to connect the dots between one film and another as well as give a nice educational lesson on why things were or are the way they were or are. I have missed him in his absence and wish him well in his endeavors.
And that's why I bothered watching his videos while he was still here: from time to time he could give good insight into the movie industry by pointing out and making observations going on within the industry.

However what you say in your first paragraph is why I didn't bother following him to youtube to continue watching him after he was gone from this sight...it seemed like more often than not his reviews would indeed just be political grandstanding disguised as a review which does indeed render that review pointless.

Now if your reviewing a political movie that's based around current events, going into your personal politics is to be expected. But if you're reviewing It Follows, no one cares what your thoughts on global warming are (note: I don't know if Bob reviewed that movie and if he did I don't know if he talked about global warming, I was just making a random example).
Sure, I understand why that would leave a sour enough taste in someone's mouth to make them not want to follow. It's a shame that he has so much trouble separating out his personal life with business or he'd probably still be here.

We have a good classic movie reviewer on the site currently who is amazingly well researched on his movies (though I'm not a horror movie fan so it isn't my particular cup of tea most of the time but occasionally I'll get a review on a normal movie like waterworld), I just wish he'd either review new releases too or that we'd get someone else who would do some sort of video review too.
 

Sniper Team 4

New member
Apr 28, 2010
5,433
0
0
I was wondering the same thing. I checked his blog to see if I could find any information, but got nothing. From what I've read here though, it seems like he's on break. I hope so, as I do enjoy his videos. Little sad he had to change their style because of YouTube copyright machine, but the wit is still there.
 

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
4,860
0
0
To answer the OP, It looks like he's now a member of Screenrant.com

http://moviebob.blogspot.com/2016/01/whats-going-on.html#more
The first of the "new projects" listed below can now be revealed - I have officially become part of the ScreenRant News Team!
Before he made the above update, here is what he was saying about the break for ScrewAttack's content:

So it also goes for independent producers like myself: IN BOB WE TRUST and GAME OVERTHINKER were produced for a set run with ScrewAttack, that first run has concluded and now they're on break; while fans of ScrewAttack's broader content-library have no doubt taken note that BEST/WORST EVER and TOP TEN have started back up again. So goes the cycle. I can't say when my two series will return at this point, or in what form: It's possible that IN BOB WE TRUST (for example) might find a different homebase in the interim. It's also possible (again, for example) that you might see me on ScrewAttack with another brand-new series. All I can say on that front is that you should stay tuned.
All questions answered?